Getting a ring custom made

Blossy

Dec 30, 2012
Australia
I'm planning to get a ring custom made, with my sons' birthstones.

I've got a few ideas in my head but can't find any pictures. I know of a couple of manufacturing jewellers but no idea of the process.

Do I need to find pictures? Draw my own? Will my feeble and vague explanation suffice?

Do they usually charge for consultations? Will they make a drawing of their design first so I'm sure we have the same idea?

Seriously I've no idea how to go about this.

Is it cheaper to just find an existing ring I like, buy it, and then pay a jeweller to replace whatever stones are in it with the ones I'm after?

So unsure!

iabell1611

Jul 6, 2008
Great question.! I just started looking into the same thing. Im thinking it would be easier to find a ring and have the stones replaced? Im interested to hear what people say

Astaroth

May 25, 2012
Do I need to find pictures? Draw my own? Will my feeble and vague explanation suffice?

Do they usually charge for consultations? Will they make a drawing of their design first so I'm sure we have the same idea?
The process will undoubtably vary between different companies and to some degree the amount that is being paid/ charged.

In terms of the design, any of the above will be fine, if it is anything short of a drawing from you then they should sketch it for you. Of cause the person you are talking to may not be a perfect artist but it should be sufficient to convey the idea.

If it is a budget place you will probably then simply get the item made from that (we had one ring made in Sri Lanka and it was done in under 24 hours).

For the better places they will normally cast the ring in a base metal or make a model of the ring with no stones for you first which you try on and can then provide alterations. Assuming they are minor they will just then make the items for you, if they are major remodeling then they may make another draft.

As to charges, never gone as far as getting a design made by one and then not gone ahead with it. Generally you just pay one price and thats an all in fee but if you were to say you werent sure if you were going to go ahead or such then maybe they would have a step by step breakdown of costs to allow you to exit the process without them being out of pocket

ame

O.G.
Mar 22, 2007
Some places will have "stock" setting books for you to go through as well where you can see a setting thats already made in bulk from a setting company, and that will either be what you can use as your ring OR somethign to start the design from.