Getting a Persian!

yarbs83

O.G.
Mar 16, 2007
I have had the absolute worst luck trying to adopt a kitten. I am looking for a fairly specific breed - Himalayan/Persian or a mix of either. I've been through rigorous adoption processes and interviews only to be told the cat went back to the original breeder or to have the shelter accidentally adopt the kitten out to the wrong family (this has happened two times).

Long story somewhat short - after a weekend of tears because as we were on our way to pick up a Himalayan mix kitten from a shelter out of town, we got there only to be told - "oh my gosh, I just adopted that kitten to someone else thinking it was you". After this happening over and over, I finally gave up and just decided I was going to stop looking.

My husband happened to find a family that had a litter of Persians (parents on site). They are not regular breeders, but occasionally have a small litter here and there from their pets. They are holding the most beautiful little black/chocolate brown Persian male kitten for me. My husband arranged everything and I am SO overjoyed and excited. They have sent tons of pictures and he is just the most gorgeous little thing I have ever seen.

I was legitimately attempting to rescue. I had met with a breeder in the summer and was so close to purchasing a Persian from her, but just couldn't bear to spend such a large sum when I know so many kittens and cats need homes. I feel very let down by rescue organizations though, I have to say. I've went through both the kind that are very involved and thorough with checks and those that are "first come, first serve" with a two minute approval. Neither have worked out for me although I have excellent vet and groomer references from my dogs. I am always approved, but for some reason the cat never ends up with me. Very frustrating.

The kitten I am purchasing is not registered, which does not truly matter to me and I feel it's an appropriate price in relation to adoption fees at local shelters. I have little dogs and want a cat that will work with our lifestyle and through researching the breeds - I believe our best bet is a Persian/Himalayan. I'm just so truly grateful I was able to find a kitten that seems perfect for our us. The parents appear to be very clean, nice family pets, and the kittens themselves are precious and vet checked.

I'm sorry to write such a LONG post - but this has been a few years in the making and I am just so thrilled it's finally happening. I have been purchasing things so when I did finally find our new family member, the transition would be easy. I expect that we're picking him up sometime this week as he's a bit far away and we need to coordinate our schedules.Those of you that are Persian moms out there - anything special I should be considering for our new member of the family? I have a section in my office (where I spend tons of time) to keep the kitty separate from our dogs for the first few weeks while they all get acclimated. I don't have a cat tree yet (trying to find an attractive one) - but I have a bed, dishes, brushes, toys, and a scratching box. I still need to find a litter box my dogs won't get into and the best litter. I am clueless about that! I also plan to switch the feed over slowly to a high quality brand. Our dogs have been on Canidae a long time, but there are so many brands now. Any favorites for your cats/persians? :smile:

I don't have any specific advice on Persians but congrats. Sounds like you've got everything planned for your new little family member. As much as I love my older cats, there's nothing cuter than a kitten. I met a five-month-old Main **** kitten yesterday and fell in love.
I'm sure others here will have experience with Persians. My impression is they're not very active (at least as adults) and they require regular grooming.
As far as food, I feed my cats a grain-free food from the pet supply store. They do well on it.

Congrats I'm so excited for you. Your first kitten….

A good brushing routine should start as early as possible. Is your Persian long hair or short? Exotic or Usual? Please post pictures ASAP….

Its good that you are being responsible with your introductions of your new family member with existing members (dogs). For first face to face intro I would keep kitty in a carrier and just let them sniff each other and increase the intro time each day. In a short time, kitty will have trained the dog to her liking…

Congrats I'm so excited for you. Your first kitten….

A good brushing routine should start as early as possible. Is your Persian long hair or short? Exotic or Usual? Please post pictures ASAP….

Its good that you are being responsible with your introductions of your new family member with existing members (dogs). For first face to face intro I would keep kitty in a carrier and just let them sniff each other and increase the intro time each day. In a short time, kitty will have trained the dog to her liking…

I definitely am being cautious with the introductions. It's one of the things that has kept me from getting a kitten in the past (with me chickening out). I'm so nervous as my little pack of doggies are a team and although they are totally non aggressive in any way- I worry they'll be terrified about this little ball of fluff! :smile:

I had 2 persians and they are adorable, if you have any questions feel free to message me, the brushing is hard core and we have them shaved once a year. They love being fussed over :smile:

Attachments

• 1414412419276.jpg
    1414412419276.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 288
  • 1414412458663.jpg
    1414412458663.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 280
  • 1414412490198.jpg
    1414412490198.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 275
Thank you guys! I am so excited - I think he is just the cutest thing!! Lady Sapphire - your babies are adorable!! I think the date is set for Friday unless we can get there earlier just based upon the gentleman that's selling the kittens work schedule. The other 2 have gone, so he's the last little guy left. It is sort of restoring my faith that people can be kind and actually honest when it comes to animals- so I will keep my fingers and toes crossed. My husband just talked to the person and he said the kitten is sweet and mellow and follows everyone around the house.

Last edited:
I love Persians. I've had a Persian as a pet for over 20 years. They are the best. I've had 2 black ones. My mom has an orange Persian. They are very gentle and affectionate animals.

They are very laid back, and when they are kittens they do play a lot but as adults they are very relaxed and not very active. They do require regular brushing/combing and baths. Get your kitten used to baths as a baby so he is OK with them as an adult.

I feed my Persian Science Diet -- she is a bit older so I give her the senior formula of the hairball control food. I also add flaxseed oil to the food -- the vet said it is great for their coat and also helps minimize hairballs. I'd ask your vet if you should wait until your little guy is an adult to add to his food.

I'm not sure if you're already planning to do this, but Persians really should be indoor cats only. Otherwise their fur is a mess if you let them outside and quite frankly, they are targets for thieves.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to know anything else. :smile:

As for litter, I use anything that is clumping. I don't care for Tidy Cat, I prefer Arm & Hammer.

I love Persians. I've had a Persian as a pet for over 20 years. They are the best. I've had 2 black ones. My mom has an orange Persian. They are very gentle and affectionate animals.

They are very laid back, and when they are kittens they do play a lot but as adults they are very relaxed and not very active. They do require regular brushing/combing and baths. Get your kitten used to baths as a baby so he is OK with them as an adult.

I feed my Persian Science Diet -- she is a bit older so I give her the senior formula of the hairball control food. I also add flaxseed oil to the food -- the vet said it is great for their coat and also helps minimize hairballs. I'd ask your vet if you should wait until your little guy is an adult to add to his food.

I'm not sure if you're already planning to do this, but Persians really should be indoor cats only. Otherwise their fur is a mess if you let them outside and quite frankly, they are targets for thieves.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to know anything else. :smile:

As for litter, I use anything that is clumping. I don't care for Tidy Cat, I prefer Arm & Hammer.

Thank you so much for sharing that! I have always gravitated toward the breed. We have 4 little dogs (all long hair) so I am used to frequent grooming. Our biggest dog is 14 lbs and our smallest is 5, so we wanted a cat that wouldn't be so much bigger than our dogs or one that would be overly active like some other breeds. I want the transition to be smooth for everyone. Definitely an indoor only cat for us! We were just driving home and a cat ran right out in front of our car and we narrowly missed it =/. I'd be up sick at night if I had an indoor/outdoor cat.

I just want to chime in and say beautiful babies. I had a seal point himmy and a shaded silver Persian for 17 years. I loved and worshipped them! All the ladies who responded gave great info. My girls loved Petromalt for furballs (and vegetable oil). Best of luck with your new baby! And lots of photos when you bring him home.

Forgot to add I don't have a kitty but my beau does. And I got them the furminator which really helped with the shedding and made her look sleek and shiny (natural oils). I also got her pet greens garden which is basically kitty grass but the stuff lasts for weeks.