Getting a new puppy in a few days!!

A harness for riding in the car...keeps the puppy from jumping around the car, and endangering yourself (and him).

A soft pad for inserting in the crate....cover it with blankets or sheets, in case you need to launder them...

Yes, pee pads if you need them before the pup is potty trained....

Puppy gates to seclude him from other areas you don't want him to be in....

We had two crates...one in our bedroom for him to sleep...one in the basement for when we went out for dinner at night...

Last edited:
Congratulations! He is so cute. My cat did not take to well to my dog when we brought her home. But then again, my cat hates all 4 legged creatures, even her own kind. I cannot tell you how many times she has chased away cats that have crossed our backyard. She is truly the Queen of the Castle.

King Charles Spaniels are a lovely breed! Very good size. Archie is cute, also if you register your dog you'll have to think of a "fancy" registered name. Usually a name taken from both parents. Take pics!!!

Congrats on your new pup!

I would skip the pee pads and just focus on taking him out regularly. I've had so many clients regret using pads because then the dog thinks it's ok to eliminate inside the house and harder to teach them that outside is the only acceptable place.

I would suggest you pick up some puppy books and enroll him in a puppy class after he's had his second set of shots.

My favorite puppy book of all time is "My Smart Puppy" by Sarah Wilson. Lots of useful info there on common problems as well as plenty of training games you can start right away, and it comes with a DVD! I give this to all my clients that have pups as part of our training program.

Congrats on your new pup!

I would skip the pee pads and just focus on taking him out regularly. I've had so many clients regret using pads because then the dog thinks it's ok to eliminate inside the house and harder to teach them that outside is the only acceptable place.

I would suggest you pick up some puppy books and enroll him in a puppy class after he's had his second set of shots.

My favorite puppy book of all time is "My Smart Puppy" by Sarah Wilson. Lots of useful info there on common problems as well as plenty of training games you can start right away, and it comes with a DVD! I give this to all my clients that have pups as part of our training program.

Thankyou, this was exactly my thoughts. Alot of my cousins & friends have been telling me to buy puppy pads. But I thought wouldnt this confuse the dog that its ok to pee inside?

I am planning on bringing him outside every few hours at the start, telling him 'toilet' and when he does give him a treat and plenty of love and praise.

I am picking him up in 4 hours!!!!:yahoo:

Spoke to the breeder yesterday and she said she was originally going to keep him for the showring, but then she said his head shape/size was not perfect for the ring - he will be perfect in my eyes!! She also told me he has a lovely temperament, like the mum and dad. I will be meeting the mum, but the dad has already gone back to his own home.

I will be ringing for puppy classes on MOnday, anyone had experiences with this? The course I am going to is 4 classes at 1.5 hours each.

THanks for all your well wishes guys, more pics to come as soon as I pick up my bundle of joy.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

My cat did not take to well to my dog when we brought her home. But then again, my cat hates all 4 legged creatures, even her own kind. .

hehe, I have one cat like this, Sweetie, my moggie. My Ragdoll cat just loves everything so I think he will be ok. Sweetie might take a few weeks to adjust, which Im worried about!

Pee pads or indoor doggy loos are a good alternative if you're not home to take them out. ;) Post pics when you get him~!

ahh ok. So I think I have it sorted ( I might be delusional because I dont actually have the puppy yet). But this is my plan -
When we are home ( I am home most days) I take him out every few hours.
When we are out - We have a little area fenced off outside that is covered and he can go out there
When we are sleeping - I will be crating him usually about 11pm - 8am, and no food or water in this time - is this ok or should he always have water - but then it will make him want to go toilet?

ahh ok. So I think I have it sorted ( I might be delusional because I dont actually have the puppy yet). But this is my plan -
When we are home ( I am home most days) I take him out every few hours.
When we are out - We have a little area fenced off outside that is covered and he can go out there
When we are sleeping - I will be crating him usually about 11pm - 8am, and no food or water in this time - is this ok or should he always have water - but then it will make him want to go toilet?

We've had our puppy for 3 weeks now.. we try to not let her nap 2 hrs prior to bed time, you also might want to cut water out as well, or make sure you have your pup go potty before putting him in the crate. He might cry the first few nights if he's not use to the crate.. but if you tire him out enough (play with him.... before bed time).. it'll make sleep time easier for the both of yah. He may cry for you to take him out every few hours depending on your dog... our 10 week old pup will usually sleep through the night and wakes us up around 5am to go use the potty. (She's also crate trained during sleep time)

Another tip I found, once you've established a schedule.. stick with it. ;)

p.s. No food or water during sleep time should be ok, just make sure you take him out first thing you wake up, feeding, then potty again. :smile: and your plan sounds great!

How exciting!! Can't wait to see pics!

Last edited: