get a balenciaga or a Celine in Paris this spring?

ladymagenta22

Feb 18, 2010
my DH and I are going on vacay to Europe this may and I am planning on getting a purse in one of our stops which is Paris. I initially wanted to get an LV bag from my wish list but decided to get either a balenciaga or a Celine, for the balenciaga it will be a regular city bag and for the Celine it will be their mini luggage tote. I already bought a bal giant city last year and love it a lot that I am highly considering getting another one, however I have always wanted to try Celine and their mini luggage tote seems perfect for me as well, plus I don't have any Celine bags at all. I just wanted to have a special souvenir from the trip and I really would like the bag for keeps and something I can use for a long time and that would remind me of the trip. So what do you guys think? Which should I get? I don't know where else to post this thread that it won't get any bias responses.

It will depend on what's available in Paris. I've been handbag shopping in Paris, almost annually, for over three decades. A lot of times certain styles and colors are sold out. So, you might need to shop around. Also, there are often times bag colors, textures and sizes that are carried in Paris, but that are not carried in stores here at home.

I bought my Chloe Elise in Paris, and in a small size, and in dark, red buffalo leather. I never saw that same bag here in L.A. And the friend who met me in Paris, and stayed with me, didn't see the bag when he got back to New York City and he's out shopping a lot. The larger style, in the same bag, was in stores here. But, there were no small ones and no red ones.

So, if I were you, I wouldn't get too fixated on one particular bag and just wait until you get there and decide. Also go to several places to see what's available and then take notes. And don't forget to fill out the detaxe papers, as you'll save about 12%.

Aren't the price points fairly different? I'd say Celine but I have read other posts that say it's a bit trendy--that's my only reservation. I would stay open to other designers. With Paris you'll enjoy so many options.

I agree with bagolicious. There are so many things to see in Paris, and there may be something else that will attract you more than a Celine Luggage or a Bal City (I have both and they are both great, but I'm just saying....).
I say enjoy your trip, look around, and pick out something that makes you feel special when you are there and will bring happy memories whenever you use it.

thank you for the responses, I think I will just try to get the Celine first if they don't have it then I will go for balenciaga. I honestly just want to get a black Celine mini luggage tote and not planning on spending any more time shopping for bags because I do want to enjoy Paris as well. My husband even suggested to get the balenciaga and the LV bag I had on my list both in PAris to save on taxes and since I could not decide which one to get, however I really don't want to spend that much time bag shopping you know? So that's when I decided to try and see if I could get the Celine, I thought it works better, since the Celine purchase will probably take up most of my shopping budget and that way again, spend less time hunting for other bags.

thank you for the responses, I think I will just try to get the Celine first if they don't have it then I will go for balenciaga. I honestly just want to get a black Celine mini luggage tote and not planning on spending any more time shopping for bags because I do want to enjoy Paris as well. My husband even suggested to get the balenciaga and the LV bag I had on my list both in PAris to save on taxes and since I could not decide which one to get, however I really don't want to spend that much time bag shopping you know? So that's when I decided to try and see if I could get the Celine, I thought it works better, since the Celine purchase will probably take up most of my shopping budget and that way again, spend less time hunting for other bags.

Good luck on your search. But, remember to remain flexible. And in Paris, even though one might not want to spend a lot of time on looking for a certain handbag, one just might have to. Bags sell out really fast and I've spent a many trip having to run around to different stores to look for a certain, must-have bag. But, I'm in Paris for at least a week at a time, and I also know my way around the city and where to look.