Gestational Diabetes Support Thread

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi,
    This is sad. I didn't pass the 1-hr glucose test so I went back this past weekend for the 3-hrs test....and THAT I dind't pass either :sad:
    This is making me so sad. Now I have to talk to a dietician and talk about my diet and what options I have.
    Any1 experience this? What did u have to eat, got any good menu recs? How was it with the diet? Did it control ur glucose level? TIA

;-(

2. aww.. that sucks.. i had it with my last 2 pregnancies. resulting in a 10 lbs baby and my third and last came a mnth early at 8.5 lbs.

i was on a strict diet the last time.. which sucked but i appreciated it in the long run because the baby and i were healthy and i gained 18 lbs my entire pregnancy and was 10 lbs less than my pre preg weight at my 6 week post partum check up : )

you'll be fine!

3. I had it. I gained 17 pounds in my pregnancy. What helped me was eating a string cheese at midnight. Odd, I know, but I was challenged with getting my fasting weight down. Best of luck to you!

4. I had gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I met with a dietician and she gave me a chart of what food to eat and the proper amount to eat them. For example, instead of a whole banana, you eat half a banana. Instead of 30 grapes, you eat 10. The only thing that got to me was that I had to test for my glucose level after every meal with a needle prick (machine). I was deathly afraid of needles but after that first week, it was a breeze. Also I remembered that they put me on this diet and then every month my doctor was complaining that I needed to gain more weight! I was like come on!! How am I going to gain weight while I was on a diet??

But honestly, don't be sad about it. It's not difficult at all....you'll see.

5. I had it. I gained less than 25 lbs. I controlled myself too well. My son was only 4 lbs & 15 ozs after 38 weeks. I was induced.

Don't be sad. You can control it. My OB was out sick at the end of my pregrancy, he wasn't really concerned, but the OB replaced him, made me so worry and control it very regularly.

The end result was my son was under-weight, but he gained weight very quickly. He is over 9 months now, everyone said he is a big boy. If you don't know his story, you think he must be born at regular weight. :smile:

Don't be sad. Everything will be fine. Just don't eat too much carb.

6. I had GD too and when I found out I was sad like you. I didn't understand why and how when I was only 100lbs before I got pregnant (only gained 25 during pregnancy) and I don't eat any sweets at all. Later I learnt that it's the way my body process foods when I am pregnant. I had to meet with a dietician and she help me with me meal planning by controlling the different types of food I take in. You don't necessary cut out the bad stuff like sweets and carb but to eat a balance amount of all foods to help regulate it and I also had to do glucose test after each meal.

At the end I had a full term baby at 7lb 11oz and he is a healthy 5 months old right now.

After hearing everyone's experience I hope you will feel better

7. I have GD too and I was devastated when I found out. Now, a few weeks later, it's not so bad. Like a previous poster said, the finger sticks get easier. I think everyone is different, but for me, I can basically eat whatever I want as long as I have enough protein with the meal. For example, I can have a whole bowl of pasta as long as I have meatballs or sausage too. Just the pasta (with veggies or sauce or like mac and cheese) will make my sugar sky rocket. I can also go out and have a full meal with dessert and everything- and my sugar will be fine (again, as long as I've had enough protein).

I do have to stay away from "liquid sugar." Things like fruit juice, shakes, syrup, etc.

Some diet advice that has worked for me:
    1. Use Splenda and foods sweetened with Splenda instead of sugar(it is safe according to American Pregnancy Association)
    2. Skinny Cow brand ice cream sandwiches and cones are low in sugar and carbs
    3. If you splurge on a sweet or carb, walk for at least 20 minutes afterwards.
    4. Watch for hidden sugars; Chinese food for example has a lot of hidden sugars in their sauces

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you need anything at all!!!

8. I should also add that at 35 weeks I have gained 25 pounds. I had a growth sonogram and the baby weighs 5.5 pounds, which places him in the 50th percentile.

Like I said, everyone's body is different, you need to see what works for you. Start with the advice the dietician gives you and then make small adjustments from there.

9. Im going to get the test for this in 4 weeks.. I'm a little nervous.

10. Wow...ladies..thank you. It seems like most of you gained only 25 lbs on an average throught the pregnancy.
    I'm now 32 weeks going on 33 weeks and has gained already close to 35 lbs!!!! I was 113 lbs when first went in to the docs (around 7-8th week)...is this excessive weight gain?
    thx

11. my friend was around the same weight as you and she gained 60lbs for her whole pregnancy and she didn't even have GD. If it gets excessive I think the Dr. will let you know.

12. My Dr said to think about it as a pound per week gestation- but not any more than that. I would confirm with your Dr, but it sounds like you may be just a pound or two over so far, But remember: the last few weeks is when I think you may start to put on more weight.

13. I was on a very strict diet and lost 4 lbs in the first 2 weeks, I gained about 23 pounds overall, and it was all gone within 3 weeks. I had an emergency C, and one of the only things I remember was asking the OB how much weight I was leaving on the table, and was thrilled when she told me about 20lbs!

I was told that I should be walking within 20 minutes of the first bite of my meal, that wasn't so bad. It was eating on a schedule that was tricky for me. I had to do finger tests and self-inject insulin. Really, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought.

IIRC, breakfast was generally eggs and toast, a snack was a decaf latte and a piece of fruit, a sandwich for lunch, apple and almonds for snack, protein and some carbs and veggies for dinner, cheese and crackers for a bedtime snack.

14. I too have GD. At 31 weeks, I had gained 16 lbs (found out I had GD at week 25). I can't seem to eat rice or potatoes but the same amount of pasta or bread seems to be absolutely fine. The diet isn't too bad otherwise - I actually eat more now than I did before from the 3 scheduled snack times. The good thing is that it is definitely controllable so try not to worry too much :yes:

Rbaby - Thanks for the diet tips!

Handbag-ho - Your avatar is just about the cutest little one I've seen!

15. i don't have it, but i just wanted to let you know like the other ladies that it's totally manageable and you will be just fine. talk it over with your doc and im sure they will give you a diet to stick to.

even without having it any of the 3 times pregnant i gained about 50lbs with the first 2 and im up to about 33lbs this time :sad: im bummed but i know the weight will come right off after i have her.