Travel Germany with kids?

Oct 30, 2006
We are thinking of going to Germany late this summer and taking our girls, ages 7 and 9. I was thinking of flying into Vienna and going to Munich, Zurich or Basel (or both), Strasbourg and then fly out of Belgium.

A) Is this plan good or bad and why?
B) Is there a city nearby I should go to instead?
C) Are any of these cities a bad choice, especially with kids?
D) Any hints on what to do with kids?
E) Any tips on what to do or avoid because it's a huge waste of time?

Thanks!

Allisonfaye said:
We are thinking of going to Germany late this summer and taking our girls, ages 7 and 9. I was thinking of flying into Vienna and going to Munich, Zurich or Basel (or both), Strasbourg and then fly out of Belgium.

Thanks!

I don't have kids so I can't personally comment but I just got back from Germany on the 1st so we were there for the European Christmas markets - lots of kids. Everyone was so warm and friendly. Kids were running around and ice skating. It was fantastic! I could have stayed forever! It seemed like the best place to be at Christmas for a child - it was the best place for me!

I'm certainly no expert as it was my first time, but I loved Saltzburg and its an easy ride from Munich. Munich is wonderful - i could have stayed forever!

We went for lunch at the Linz family farm just outside of saltzburg and it was just magical. The people in Austria were so kind, just like Germany. I can't say that about Switzerland. We were in lake Lucerne - beautiful city but insanely expensive and rather disinterested people. I understand that the people we encountered (ie - hotel staff, waitstaff, etc) are usually not Swiss so I may be generalizing but there was a definite difference between Switzerland and Bavaria!

Another place I loved was Heidelberg! Between the boho feel of a college town as well as the preservation of the city due to the US occupation, it is marvelous. Again, nicest people, fantastic food, best handmade truffles, the river, the castle - all in a compact old world town.

I wish we could have gotten over to Vienna, Prague and Berlin but we will definitely be going back. There are not many places that I can say that about!

Thanks!

Hi there,
the only place in Germany of the cities you quote is Munich... ;)

Your list only includes cities. Wouldn't your daughters enjoy at least some activities outside cities? How "outdoor oriented" are you? In Bavaria you could visit the famous castles (Neuenschwanstein, Hohenschwangau, Linderhof). That area is also great for some hiking, biking, horse riding etc. My son absolutely adores staying at the German/ Austrian or Swiss equivalent to dude ranches. A highlight for him of our hiking holiday in the Italian Alps last sumer was racing down the mountain side on a bobsled (it is called Sommer Rodelbahn - you also find them in Bavaria for instance).

In Munich the "Deutsche Museum" is a must and very interesting to kids.

In Switzerland which is a gem of a country I would not limit myself to Zurich. The Swiss Alps are breathtaking, and even if you are not an outdoorsy kind of family there is a little train running straight up the Eiger North face including a great hotel from another era (somewhat like a small-scale Overlook Hotel minus the ghosts).

Instead of covering as many countries as possible in a short amount of time, I would rather just visit two to get a better feel and somewhat off the beaten track. E.g. go to Vienna and the spend some time in the Austrian countryside before travelling onwards to Switzerland to sample its diversity (despite its minute size). Or start in Vienna, go to Southern Germany for a little Alpine adventure (see above) and finish in Berlin.

I gladly provide you with more information. However, it would be helpful if you could be a bit more specific about what you are looking for.

Hi there,
the only place in Germany of the cities you quote is Munich... ;)

Your list only includes cities. Wouldn't your daughters enjoy at least some activities outside cities? How "outdoor oriented" are you? In Bavaria you could visit the famous castles (Neuenschwanstein, Hohenschwangau, Linderhof). That area is also great for some hiking, biking, horse riding etc. My son absolutely adores staying at the German/ Austrian or Swiss equivalent to dude ranches. A highlight for him of our hiking holiday in the Italian Alps last sumer was racing down the mountain side on a bobsled (it is called Sommer Rodelbahn - you also find them in Bavaria for instance).

In Munich the "Deutsche Museum" is a must and very interesting to kids.

In Switzerland which is a gem of a country I would not limit myself to Zurich. The Swiss Alps are breathtaking, and even if you are not an outdoorsy kind of family there is a little train running straight up the Eiger North face including a great hotel from another era (somewhat like a small-scale Overlook Hotel minus the ghosts).

Instead of covering as many countries as possible in a short amount of time, I would rather just visit two to get a better feel and somewhat off the beaten track. E.g. go to Vienna and the spend some time in the Austrian countryside before travelling onwards to Switzerland to sample its diversity (despite its minute size). Or start in Vienna, go to Southern Germany for a little Alpine adventure (see above) and finish in Berlin.

I gladly provide you with more information. However, it would be helpful if you could be a bit more specific about what you are looking for.

Ok, I will elaborate more. I want to think about what you said. We were putting those castles on our to do lists. What is the Deutsche Museum? What kind of museum?

Isn't Neuschwanstein Castle the model for Sleeping Beauty's castle in Disney World? I've been to Neuschwanstein a couple times and it appears to be the inspiration.

Also in Munich is the clock tower with the man and woman figures that come out on the hour--very traditional and Bavarian.

I was there many years ago, but Vienna had a nice amusement park with rides that children would enjoy.

Can anyone tell me about when things close in those places. DH has to be around for most of July so that only leaves August to travel or late June. I don't really want to do late June because we had planned to go to visit my family and would just be getting back.

Can anyone tell me about when things close in those places. DH has to be around for most of July so that only leaves August to travel or late June. I don't really want to do late June because we had planned to go to visit my family and would just be getting back.

If you look at the resource I gave you, it lists all the times and dates of places you might want to go.

http://www.bavaria.by/deutsches-museum-in-munich-bavaria

boxermom said:
Isn't Neuschwanstein Castle the model for Sleeping Beauty's castle in Disney World? I've been to Neuschwanstein a couple times and it appears to be the inspiration.

Also in Munich is the clock tower with the man and woman figures that come out on the hour--very traditional and Bavarian.

I was there many years ago, but Vienna had a nice amusement park with rides that children would enjoy.

Yes! So sad that I missed that one! But I got to see the tiny castle in swan lake. With the snow and the swans and feeling the "fan" or whatever that hot Mediterranean air is was magical. When I go back (and eventually I will) I need to see Neuschwanstein!

Allison,

if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Only one of the places you listed is actually in Germany ;)

How are you planning on getting around? Vienna is not close to Munich. About 4.5 hours per car.