Gerard Darel Camel - Keeper?

I didn't find bags at KC that were an "exact" match, but they came in chocolate brown leather which was similar to the leather on the GD that I'd ordered--but the bags were in the $200 range...

These are the ones that had a similar look to me:

http://www.kennethcole.com/scripts/...ail&var=83216 83751&srchtype=&srcharg=&size=0

http://www.kennethcole.com/scripts/...ail&var=82817 82803&srchtype=&srcharg=&size=0

http://www.kennethcole.com/scripts/...ail&var=90276 90274&srchtype=&srcharg=&size=0

They weren't identical, but given the price difference, I started to rethink the bag... I paid $407 with shipping since BG is selling the bag for $395. I just thought it was a little too much. If I could get the bag for under $300 + shipping, I think that would have been a better value. But that was just my feeling. I do love your bag in camel though--I think if I'd gotten that one, I'd have kept it!

OMG, wickedassin, I wanted that exact kencole bag (hole hearted) last year when it came out. I wanted the the blue one but killed the idea because I don't want another handhead bag (can't carry on shoulder) and the longer strap one is too long (I'm short). Don't think they look like the GD bag though, also they are not as slouchy. So if you want a slouchier bag then GD, if not the KenCole ones are nice, which colour?

KK said:
OMG, wickedassin, I wanted that exact kencole bag (hole hearted) last year when it came out. I wanted the the blue one but killed the idea because I don't want another handhead bag (can't carry on shoulder) and the longer strap one is too long (I'm short). Don't think they look like the GD bag though, also they are not as slouchy. So if you want a slouchier bag then GD, if not the KenCole ones are nice, which colour?

I think it was mainly the fact that the KC chocolate brown leather was very similar to the GD leather had me rethink the purchase--more than the style thing. Anyways, I decided for a slouchy/casual bag that I wanted to spend somewhere in the $300 range. I ended up putting the $400 from the GD towards getting a YSL Mombasa in chocolate brown that I always wanted. So it worked out well.

Greenie said:
No way the KK leather feels like the GD. I was in bloomies looking at some of the KK bags and the leather is like cardboard compared to Gerard Darel.

These bags are SO much nicer.

I had two of the Kenneth Cole Hole Hearted bags at the beginning of Fall, and I returned them both to Nordstrom. The stuff that they paint on the edges of the leather so that it doesn't fray cracks and flakes off in a very short period of time. A few months later I was looking in an actual KC store, and found I bag I thought was cute. I was examing the floor sample while she was checking in the back for a new one. I saw that on that bag the plastic stuff was cracking as well.

IMO, there is no comparison. :amuse:

KK said:
Thank you for all your reassurance. I don't mean to be indecisive (really embarrassed), I love the bag for it's elegant simple design, it's soft (but not thin) leather and the craftmanship and the price of course. The only thing I have doubt is the colour just because it is not as I expected it to be. My DH said it's fine, he likes it but I guess I just have a mental block. The colour IRL is a little darker than it appears in the pics, so I tried to take some more without flash and next to an orange bag so you can see the difference.

And now that I have a closer look at darelgirl's camel, I agree that her is more vintage looking, more matt (i love it). But I still think that it's the same bag same colour, they are just made from different batches of camel leather.

LOL :lol: amanda, I understand you might not feel a thing towards this bag, as I responded to your same comment in another GD thread, bag is a personal thing just like anything else, that's what makes the world fun. Everyone who's got this bag is really happy with it. Which Kencole bag were you referring to? I'd incline to say that it's inspired by the GD charlotte then, just like some of their other bags, nevertheless still very nice bags.

yeah, to each is own, i definately understand that it's a personal thing, but the love for this bag just seems so widespread that i WANT to understand, lol, but i just don't. and i didn't mention any kenneth cole bags....

amanda said:
yeah, to each is own, i definately understand that it's a personal thing, but the love for this bag just seems so widespread that i WANT to understand, lol, but i just don't. and i didn't mention any kenneth cole bags....

I think she combined your post and also to Wicked's post about her return because it reminded her of Kenneth Cole but more $, into the same reply. :biggrin:

amanda said:
yeah, to each is own, i definately understand that it's a personal thing, but the love for this bag just seems so widespread that i WANT to understand, lol, but i just don't.

Heh. That's kind of how I feel about Balenciaga bags. I'm willing to be convinced, but I'm not....yet. :amuse:

pseub said:
Heh. That's kind of how I feel about Balenciaga bags. I'm willing to be convinced, but I'm not....yet. :amuse:

Same here :P

I think my aversion is more to the fact that most of the ones that I have seen have not been really good shoulder bags.

The one other thing I didn't like about the GD was the metal buckle hardware that was on the purse. It was kinda chinzy to me. It looked like those buckles that you find on belts that are "free" with the pants. I'm not knocking the purse per se, it just wasn't worth $400 to me. But maybe I've been spoiled by my other bags...

However, I really like the camel one that KK has--I wish I could get that one. The chocolate brown in that purse just wasn't doing it for me...