Gerard Darel Bags

sophiac

O.G.
Mar 10, 2008
Hi

Am thinking of purchasing a gerard darel bag and am wondering how's the quality of these bags? Are the leather thick so the bag is heavy? How are the bags holding up with wear?

Am thinking of either the 24 hours Blossom or the 24 hours strap?

The 24 hours strap would be great for work use (files and folders) while I love the blossom design but not too sure of the colour (my work attire is black and white)...

Any thoughts?

thanks

Mariapia

Feb 21, 2012
France
I have a Midday Midnight in purple and I love it.
Gerard Darel leathers are thick, strong and durable.
It's a reputable brand, believe me.
I like the 24 h Blossom too but it seems that it only comes in light colours for spring.
If you wear a lot of black and white, a grey one would be perfect
The 24h strap is lovely too.
To carry files and folders, you have the Simple Bag....The Bahia one is irresistible!
Especially in prune....

renee_nyc

Dec 2, 2011
New York City
The strap looks really beautiful and practical. I like it better than the blossom because I always try to have at least one pocket on the outside so I can grab things quickly. Plus, it's on sale so if for some reason you don't love it, at least you didn't pay full price.

rszerer

Oct 10, 2010
Originating in Paris, the designer has been known for high quality apparel and accessories for over 40 years. The GD handbag collection is more stylish rather than trendy. They are made well and you can't go wrong especially at this price point with the links you posted.

For the bag to choose, since you wear mostly black or white, then the 'Blossom' will blend better with your wardrobe. Navy blue is not as versatile.

sophiac

O.G.
Mar 10, 2008
Hi all

thanks so much for your replies! I didnt expect such a fast response.

Unfortunately the bag with the strap is no longer available...it's sold out! :nogood:

I checked the simple bag as suggested...but I much prefer a bag that has a top closure...the midnight bag looks gorgeous too...does anyone think that you will have trouble finding your things in the bag since it looks pretty deep? I have the MBMJ Ukita (not in this colour) and while I love the design at first, I found its very difficult to look for your items and to pull them out of the bag...

Also is there a difference between the names for the same bag? For instance the simple bag comes in Melbourne, saint-germain, broadway and brahia...but they all look the same to me...

I defintedly need a GD bag then...maybe with that I will finally have that French allure! :smile:

Mariapia

Feb 21, 2012
France
Hi all

Unfortunately the bag with the strap is no longer available...it's sold out! :nogood:

I checked the simple bag as suggested...but I much prefer a bag that has a top closure...the midnight bag looks gorgeous too...does anyone think that you will have trouble finding your things in the bag since it looks pretty deep? I have the MBMJ Ukita (not in this colour) and while I love the design at first, I found its very difficult to look for your items and to pull them out of the bag...

Also is there a difference between the names for the same bag? For instance the simple bag comes in Melbourne, saint-germain, broadway and brahia...but they all look the same to me...

I defintedly need a GD bag then...maybe with that I will finally have that French allure! :smile:
The Simple Bag comes in different leathers. The Bahia, a best-seller, is a little bit grainy and shiny.
As for the Midday Midnight, you'll be able to find your items. On the other hand, both the Simple Bag and the MM come with an extra pouch (we call it a companion in French) which is very useful and safe...

Gixxer

06GSXR750
O.G.
Nov 20, 2007
I love my Gerard Darel. I got my Studded Havana bag in black in 08 and it looks as good now as it did then. That said, I only use occasionally, because its got a magnetic closure. This is the weakest part of the bag IMHO as the leather has really really thinned over the magnets. I loved it so much initially, I took it to a leather cobbler to see if they could change/alter the fastening, and it's not possible. I store it with the tissue paper padding and it closed, so the magnets have been used for for 5 years I suppose. So I have to be very careful! I would suggest having a look at the models with the zips?

Have you seen this thread?
http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-and-purses/gerard-darel-in-the-us-112203.html

karo

O.G.
Sep 5, 2006
Hi all

Hi Sophiac, I have 3 GD bags and love them. The leather is excellent quality and it's perfect for everyday wear. I have the Midday Midnight bag and personally I think it's very well organised inside - there are pockets and a small pouch, so you can put you keys and other stuff in it. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them here or you can check it on GD website.

Etincelle

O.G.
Jun 4, 2008
NYC
I've had a 24h Saint Germain in black for almost 6 years now and it's still in perfect condition. The leather is thick and smooshy. However, I've noticed that not all GD bags are of the same quality lately and for a particular bag you can find good and lower quality ones as far as the leather goes so be careful! But overall it's a great bag:smile:
Btw, the different names (Saint Germain etc) refer to a particular leather type;)

sophiac

O.G.
Mar 10, 2008
Hi Sophiac, I have 3 GD bags and love them. The leather is excellent quality and it's perfect for everyday wear. I have the Midday Midnight bag and personally I think it's very well organised inside - there are pockets and a small pouch, so you can put you keys and other stuff in it. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them here or you can check it on GD website.

Karo! would love to see pictures of your bags when you have the time!

thanks!

sophiac

O.G.
Mar 10, 2008
I've had a 24h Saint Germain in black for almost 6 years now and it's still in perfect condition. The leather is thick and smooshy. However, I've noticed that not all GD bags are of the same quality lately and for a particular bag you can find good and lower quality ones as far as the leather goes so be careful! But overall it's a great bag:smile:
Btw, the different names (Saint Germain etc) refer to a particular leather type;)
Etincelle -- do the lower quality leather correspondent to the different names? how do you tell the different leather types?

thanks

Etincelle

O.G.
Jun 4, 2008
NYC
Etincelle -- do the lower quality leather correspondent to the different names? how do you tell the different leather types?

thanks
No, the quality of the leather doesn't have anything to do with the name, which is why you need to be careful when ordering online. I think the different leather types according to the name are in the description of the products but I'm not sure. I just know some of the older ones like Saint Germain is matte leather, Barcelona is glazed I think, Santa Fé is suede and Utah is python. I'm not sure about the rest as I haven't been following the brand lately;)