Gerard Darel bags

Handbag_Whore

Dec 13, 2009
Does anyone own one of these and what are peoples thoughts and comments on these bags? I keep reading that all chic French women have them!! Im looking to buy a second hand one and don't know what's a reasonable price to pay.
x

I have a GD 24 Heures in Periwinkle Blue. I find it a fantastic bag. Mine is calf leather, very soft and strong. I've had it for over a year now and it looks even better than the day I bought it. It fits easily on my shoulder and I can find everything in it. In any case, a pouch or purse organizer can be slipped inside. In the basic version there's no mobile phone pocket, but that doesn't bother me. I know some people say this bag splays 'like an amoeba' when you set it down. I don't find this a probem. My Balenciaga Twiggy is now very soft and behaves in a similar way.

And yes, they are still very popular in France. Whenever I go there I see lots of them, especially the 24 Heures. I have seen quite a few of them on eBay, and they seem to sell for about £200 or so. It's not an exorbitantly expensive bag, even when bought new. Best to ask about the leather quality first though. I've heard that earlier batches weren't so good. Mine has a very slight sheen to the leather and still has the leather smell. I bought mine new, but I'd say a good, used one could be perfect for your needs. I love my GD! Good luck with your hunting/purchasing!

They're really great bags, but I'm not sure it's accurate to say it's the bag "all chic French women wear". In France, it's really common and popular.... kind of like how Coach and LV is like in the US. So it's quite generic. Classy French women usually tend to stay away from bags like that.

Personally I prefer Midday-Midnight. It's the perfect hobo.

I have a GD 24 Heures in Periwinkle Blue. I find it a fantastic bag. Mine is calf leather, very soft and strong. I've had it for over a year now and it looks even better than the day I bought it. It fits easily on my shoulder and I can find everything in it. In any case, a pouch or purse organizer can be slipped inside. In the basic version there's no mobile phone pocket, but that doesn't bother me. I know some people say this bag splays 'like an amoeba' when you set it down. I don't find this a probem. My Balenciaga Twiggy is now very soft and behaves in a similar way.

And yes, they are still very popular in France. Whenever I go there I see lots of them, especially the 24 Heures. I have seen quite a few of them on eBay, and they seem to sell for about £200 or so. It's not an exorbitantly expensive bag, even when bought new. Best to ask about the leather quality first though. I've heard that earlier batches weren't so good. Mine has a very slight sheen to the leather and still has the leather smell. I bought mine new, but I'd say a good, used one could be perfect for your needs. I love my GD! Good luck with your hunting/purchasing!

Thanks for this, do you know how much they cost when new?

Would be great to see some pics of yours..:smile:

the 24 hr was a little small for me, I have the 36 hour and I love the style and the leather. Soft, supple, it does puddle when set down, just to say there is is not structure to it. I had the 48 hour it is equally nice, but really only appropriate for a huge work or travel bag, so I sold it. I just love the GD leather.

I blew the opportunity of getting a Salvadore one! :sad: A friend of mine, who was going to France last year, asked if I wanted her to bring one back, and at the last minute decided not to because I was saving for a BV. I am not sorry but they do not sell the lambskin GD here in the States.