George Michael sentenced to 8 weeks in jail for driving under influence of drugs

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311935/George-Michael-jailed-weeks-driving-influence-cannabis.html

Shamed George Michael jailed for eight weeks for smashing his 4x4 into shop while high on cannabis

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
    Last updated at 5:10 PM on 14th September 2010

Troubled superstar George Michael was finally jailed today for the latest in a string of driving offences committed while he was high on cannabis.
    The former Wham! star, whose drug-taking is notorious, was handed an eight-week sentence for smashing his Range Rover into a photography shop in July.

The 47-year-old sighed as the jail term was announced by District Judge John Perkins at Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court in north London this afternoon.
    Judge Perkins reprimanded the singer for failing to seek help to counter his 'addiction' to cannabis and putting the public at risk.

[​IMG]
    Jailed: George Michael arriving at Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court today

Inside court, his long-term boyfriend Kenny Goss put his head in his hands in despair and later left the building wiping his eyes.
    Michael will serve four weeks in prison and spend the rest on licence. He was also banned from driving for five years, fined £1,250 and ordered to pay £100 in costs.
    One fan sobbed in the public gallery as the multi-millionaire, who was wearing a smart grey suit, black tie and Ray Ban sunglasses, was taken down to the cells.
    District Judge Perkins told him he had taken a 'dangerous and unpredictable mix' of prescription drugs and cannabis before driving in the early hours of July 4.

He said: 'It does not appear that you took proper steps to deal with what is clearly an addiction to cannabis. That's a mistake which puts you and, on this occasion, the public at risk.'
    Today's sentence is the culmination of a series of clashes with the law for the singer, who has been open about his use of cannabis.
    He was also banned from driving for two years and sentenced to 100 hours of community service after a similar crash in October 2006.
    And he has been cautioned for drugs possession, questioned over several minor accidents and famously fined for 'engaging in a lewd act' in a California public toilet.

[​IMG]
    Michael admitted crashing his Range Rover while under the influence of cannabis

[​IMG]

Fans had screamed his name and tried to break through the security barriers as he arrived at the court in north London today.
    He had already been warned he could face jail and was led inside by four private bodyguards after emerging from the black car with tinted windows.
    After the sentencing, fans outside the building openly wept.

District Judge Perkins told the court he had taken into account how Michael had entered rehab since the accident to help anxiety, depression and insomnia, which had led him to depend on prescription drugs. He said: 'I accept entirely that you have shown remorse for the offence, that you are ashamed of it, that you admitted it.'
    But he added that a jail term was inevitable because of Michael's previous conviction and said it was 'with regret' that he could find no mitigation to imposing one.

[​IMG]
    Upset: Michael's boyfriend Kenny Goss leaving court after the sentencing

[​IMG]
    Distraught: One George Michael fan wipes away tears outside the court

Attached Files:

2. I was actually shocked to hear about this.....guess I'm the only one! :lol:

3. I'm not surprised actually!

4. well... it had to happen sooner or later!!!! how many times has he been caught before??!! the time inside should do him good!!!

5. I am also sad about this, but hopefully he will realise the error of his ways and be stronger for it.
    Professionally, I think he is a genius and it's such a damn shame that in the last few years all people talk about is his misdemeanours. Ok he has brought it on himself so I am not defending him, he has been silly and thankfully he has got off lightly as he could have injured or even killed someone.

6. I don't really feel sorry for him because no one forced him to do drugs and then drive a car. Let's hope he will learn and get his life together.

7. I totally agree with you. I think he's such a brilliant singer/songwriter, it's such a shame he can't control his excesses. He needs to get his life back on track.

8. He still has fans! :amazed:

9. I'm not surprised. . . I do however, wish that judge was here throwing the book at Paris, Lindsey, etc. . .

10. Of course he has, no doubt about it! His songs and especially his concerts are incredible. Hands down the best concerts I've ever been to and I've seen a lot!

George is absolutely amazing to see live. He has such a fantastic voice and he really is a true performer. Not to mention that he's also sophisticated, talented, professional and humble. Oh and he's got a great sense of humor! :biggrin:

11. I love him. I wish he would get it together.

12. I don't know why I glanced at your name thinking it said Duran. LOL
    So I take it you like them as well:P

Love GM. Wish him well, he should have consequences. It's sad that he seems to be so troubled. I grew up loving him and his songs and his Wham! days. Also been to his concerts, he is extraordinary! ;)

13. i grew up listening to his songs and WHam! i still like GM :smile:
    wonder what happened to andrew ridgely

14. and Naomi Campbell.

15. I'm such a fan of his.

What he does in the privacy of his own home is his business. He could have been doing much worse drugs, but he wasn't. He was smoking weed.

I do, however have a slight problem with the idea of him driving under the influence of that stuff.

You don't drink and drive, you also don't smoke weed and drive.