Gelish, soak off gel polish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think everyone else here has pretty much covered it, but if you were buffing your nails with 180 grit, then you likely (and I'm sure completely inadvertently) filed down the layers of your natural nails and thinned them out. The 180 grit is used ONLY to break the seal of the top coat during soak-off - and that should still be done with a light touch. If you need to buff your nails prior to putting on the SOG foundation, you need to use a fine grit file/buffer and lightly remove the shine. I use to use 180 grit to smooth/shape my acrylics - that's just way to coarse to use directly on a natural nail. At this point, lay off the file, baby your nails with plenty of moisturizer, and maybe use something like Structure to help give them some strength. You're just going to have to keep them short and let the damage grow out.

GORGEOUS!!! I never had the talent for one-stroke painting tho I love it.

Make sure it's a fine grit - 240 or above. Some "box" buffers come in a course grit as well.

Thanks so much for your advice! This forum is so great.. Much better than YouTube videos haha! I blame "thenailteacher" for my mistakes! If you watch her video on gelish she says to use the 100/180 grit buffer and she even says "use the coarse side of the block" !!!! Not much of a nail teacher haha but thanks again!!! I will definitely stay away from the buffing and stay patient... As long as I can have my nails nicely painted in happy, and it takes away the pain and sensitivity of the weak nails

Yikes I was doing the whooooole buffing thing wrong! I didn't buff at all this time around and oh goodness the polish was giving me a hard time!! The foundation didnt stay on the edges! It shrunk away from the cuticles because I didn't buff!! Maybe I should get a veeeery fine buffer to buff for now? I Just had a horrible time with the application because I didn't buff. I did use the structure gel though and I will for every time I Apply.. Do you suggest that I stay from the
Gelish altogether? I'd rather not but if I have to I will

Rather than a buffing issue, you may have a cuticle issue. Are you getting the dead cuticle off the nail? For some this requires more work than for others. If you don't use a cuticle remover, it can help. Just don't soak your nails and do a really quick wash of your hands or use a baby wipe to remove all the remover from the nail after. Then you need to really scrub around the cuticle and sidewalls of the nail with acetone and then alcohol. This removes any cuticle debris and oil. I do not ever remember reading that anyone had problems with application because they did not buff; only that they had poor wear without buffing. Buffing would remove any remaining cuticle but it also removes a bit of nail. If it is done for each mani and you are too aggressive or use too coarse a buffer, you will find your nails getting thin and possibly painful.

You are going through what each of us has already experienced. Everyone's nails are different and you need to try different things until you find what works for you. Gelish is a good product and most of us like it. There are brands that remove easier such as Shellac and the new OPI. When you have a problem such as difficulty in removal you need to try different solutions until you find the one that solves the problem without significantly reducing wear time. I am fortunate and SOG manis last on me with no lifting and chipping only after a trauma to the nail. But if I had to choose between easy of removal and the length of time my mani lasts, I would take easy removal and just do mani's more often. You have to find what works for you.

SOGAA ..... AND glitter addiction. :lol: Who'd have thought?????? Join the club.

Should I have called it SOGGAA? SOG and GLitter addicts anonymous? LOL

Ok...is it just me? I'm torn as to whether or not I like the Gelish Magneto pattern.
I think the curved lines remind me of a nail condition....possibly arsenic poisoning? I'm thinking that if I actually get some of this I may have to purchase some additional magnets off of ebay.

Yeah, i already ordered some more magnets. I wanted the star one and a straight one. I think a chevron one would be cool too. Not a fan of the wavy one though either.

After reading the recipe I went on a hunt for glycerin... 4 stores... no luck! Grr!

I haven't seen it yet in my local stores either. I have to still hit the natural foods store, I might find it there. None of the grocery/drugstores had it though.

Thanks so much for your advice! This forum is so great.. Much better than YouTube videos haha! I blame "thenailteacher" for my mistakes! If you watch her video on gelish she says to use the 100/180 grit buffer and she even says "use the coarse side of the block" !!!! Not much of a nail teacher haha but thanks again!!! I will definitely stay away from the buffing and stay patient... As long as I can have my nails nicely painted in happy, and it takes away the pain and sensitivity of the weak nails

Interesting. I use that type of buffer block, but wouldn't ever use a 100/180 right on my nails. I either do 240 or 320, and I really prefer the 320.

I also don't get why in her video she is using the alcohol. I mean, yeah, it's more expensive then Ph Bond, but she HAS a bottle of pH bond, so why not use what she has left?! LOL. and then when it's empty why not just put alcohol in the empty bottle and save the paper cup? I think she applied her layers awful thick too, but that's just me. I go super thin.

katnalex said:
Ok...is it just me? I'm torn as to whether or not I like the Gelish Magneto pattern.
I think the curved lines remind me of a nail condition....possibly arsenic poisoning? I'm thinking that if I actually get some of this I may have to purchase some additional magnets off of ebay.

I'm not really a fan myself!!

Thanks guys for the sandwich and color tips! I caved and went to Sally today, couldn't stand the sandwich bubbles for even a day. Redid my nails in Good Gossip which, even after 3 coats, was a bit too bright (even orange?) for my taste (but really pretty!) so I came home from work and added a thin coat of Bella's Vamp and another TIO. Looks a LOT like Butter London's Chancer, would be FAB for a winter pedicure!

I also nabbed wiggle your fingers mini to use over black shadow. I had a coupon for $10 off a $20 purchase so two minis, more acetone, and various other items only ran me $20.

I also may have Little Princesses (fullsize) on the way from ebay. :blush:

Here's the glitter update!! Gossip Girl with 2 coats of Vegas Nights!:love::cloud9:
It's pink and glittery - what more could a girl want?!! The funny thing is I love the polish, but I live in Vegas and I hate it lol:lol:

2012-02-10_19-14-10_828.jpg

2012-02-10_19-16-57_355.jpg

Yikes I was doing the whooooole buffing thing wrong! I didn't buff at all this time around and oh goodness the polish was giving me a hard time!! The foundation didnt stay on the edges! It shrunk away from the cuticles because I didn't buff!! Maybe I should get a veeeery fine buffer to buff for now? I Just had a horrible time with the application because I didn't buff. I did use the structure gel though and I will for every time I Apply.. Do you suggest that I stay from the
Gelish altogether? I'd rather not but if I have to I will

I agree with AnnAnn99, it may not be the buffing...every once in a while I will have the base coat pull away from the cuticles, this is usually due to me not washing my nails thoroughly enough. I always use a nail brush now and really scrub at the cuticles to make sure there is no residual oil (natural or otherwise) left. I also use CND Scrub Fresh to wipe the nail before applying the base coat, this just helps clean and dehydrate the nail.

I also agree with AnnAnn that you will more than likely have to experiment with what works best for your nails. In my experience Gelish base is more difficult to remove from my nails so now I use Shellac base for easier removal. I get 2-3 weeks of wear with no chipping. I think it took about 2 months of experimenting to find what works best for me so don't get discouraged, we've all been there.:biggrin:

tohillary said:
I decided to do a Valentines mani today too :smile:. It is 1 coat Queen of Hearts with a custom mix of AFC glitter I made. It is 2 parts AFC Deep Red Holographic, 2 parts AFC Red Holographic (actually dark pink) and 1 part AFC Chrome Holographic. It made a really pretty dark raspberry color :smile:

Sent from my iPad using PurseForum

That's gorgeous! I tried my first scrub-in yesterday but it didn't work well. I didn't have the proper brush so that was probably why. I have about 10 AFC glitters on the way and I can't wait till they get here!!!

JoyfulJourney said:
Awesome!! As soon as I read that I ran & grabbed Vegas Nights & started applying it!!! It looks awesome so far!! Made my Friday much better! I think my hubby thinks I'm kinda nuts because I'm so excited about adding glitter!!

Hi there and welcome! Vegas nights looks great over just about anything!!! It took me months before I finally wore a straight cream polish because I couldnt stop using it!!!

Oh Wise Gel Experts:

I have two nail problems that I was bummed to discover last night as I was neurotically staring at my nails.

I was sad to discover that one nail has a low tear from the side wall, well below the free edge. It has torn about 1/3 of the way across the nail. I am travelling and not at home so right now I have a band-aid across that nail to support it until I can get home and fix it (Monday night). Should I put a tip on this or should I put nail glue and a wrap? Any suggestions to save this nail and allow the tear to grow out?

Then I noticed that on a pinky finger nail, if you look at the free edge down towards the anil bed, like you are looking at the thickness of the nail at the free edge, the center of the free edge looks REALLY thin. I don't buff my nails but I'm betting that this thin area was caused by damage to my nail as I was learning how to remove my manis or when my gel polish peeled off damaing my nail. Any suggestions on how to address this? Use gelish structure on all my nails or just this one? What will work to support this thin area so my nail doesn't split or break?

Must....save....nails....must ...save...nails...want pretty nails...Thanks you all!!

IfPigsFly said:
Oh Wise Gel Experts:

I have two nail problems that I was bummed to discover last night as I was neurotically staring at my nails.

I was sad to discover that one nail has a low tear from the side wall, well below the free edge. It has torn about 1/3 of the way across the nail. I am travelling and not at home so right now I have a band-aid across that nail to support it until I can get home and fix it (Monday night). Should I put a tip on this or should I put nail glue and a wrap? Any suggestions to save this nail and allow the tear to grow out?

Then I noticed that on a pinky finger nail, if you look at the free edge down towards the anil bed, like you are looking at the thickness of the nail at the free edge, the center of the free edge looks REALLY thin. I don't buff my nails but I'm betting that this thin area was caused by damage to my nail as I was learning how to remove my manis or when my gel polish peeled off damaing my nail. Any suggestions on how to address this? Use gelish structure on all my nails or just this one? What will work to support this thin area so my nail doesn't split or break?

Must....save....nails....must ...save...nails...want pretty nails...Thanks you all!!

I have a pretty in depth section on repairs in the beginners SOG sticky. Usually a silk wrap is the best fix for those low splits if it's not to far across.

The thin spot could be anything really, but it certainly could be a rough removal. I would just keep on with the gel and careful removal and it will grow out eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

I think I'm going through what I went through with the crackle phase. It looked great in the fashion mags and I bought a bunch, but on me, it just looked like I jacked up my manicure! I think magnetic polish may be a no go with me. But keep posting those swatches, I'm willing to be convinced otherwise!

jcs226 said:
After reading the recipe I went on a hunt for glycerin... 4 stores... no luck! Grr!

ferretkingdom said:
I haven't seen it yet in my local stores either. I have to still hit the natural foods store, I might find it there. None of the grocery/drugstores had it though.

I found mine at Walmart and I checked yesterday and my grocery store Frys/Kroger had it. Both stores had the glycerin in the same place.... Right next to the rubbing alcohol and peroxide. However, both stores only had 1 small bottle, so it was really easy to miss. I had the pharmacist at Walmart show me where it was. HTH

JoyfulJourney said:
Here's the glitter update!! Gossip Girl with 2 coats of Vegas Nights!:love::cloud9:
It's pink and glittery - what more could a girl want?!! The funny thing is I love the polish, but I live in Vegas and I hate it lol:lol:

Vegas Nights will quickly become your best friend. Your mani looks great!

gelnurse said:
That's gorgeous! I tried my first scrub-in yesterday but it didn't work well. I didn't have the proper brush so that was probably why. I have about 10 AFC glitters on the way and I can't wait till they get here!!!

Her glitters are the best, you will love them. What problems were you having with your glitter yesterday?

IfPigsFly said:
Oh Wise Gel Experts:

ferretkingdom said:
I have a pretty in depth section on repairs in the beginners SOG sticky. Usually a silk wrap is the best fix for those low splits if it's not to far across.

The thin spot could be anything really, but it certainly could be a rough removal. I would just keep on with the gel and careful removal and it will grow out eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

IfPigsFly I agree with Ferret on both counts here. A silk wrap should fix your spilt, as long as it hasn't gotten any bigger by the time you can repair it. Your thin spot will grow out, If you want added strength Structure will help. If you want to just try it out first, just do it on your pinky.

Sent from my iPad using PurseForum

Oh Wise Gel Experts:

I know that Ferret has a video on how to use silk wraps, you may want to take a look at that.

However, if you don't have silk wraps, I swear by the teabag method demonstrated in this video: http://youtu.be/G0y-R_1qq7M. you can use this method for both your split and thin nail. I am currently nursing a repair on my left pinkie for 2 months now, pic below. I was filing down my nails one day and was rubbing the tip on my jeans to get rid of a little snag and the entire tip ripped off. I was like you, "must save nail! " so I repaired with a teabag. I just superglued the tip back on, glued the teabag on, shaped and buffed and did my SOG mani as usual. It holds like a dream and makes my nail super strong. That's what I really like about this method, very strong but thin enough to be virtually unnoticeable on the nail. To me this is the second greatest thing ever, right under SOG's :biggrin:.

With this method you will need to re-do the repair every time you soak off as the teabag and glue will dissolve in acetone but that's a minor inconvenience compared to saving your beautiful long nails, IMHO :biggrin:

Oh, and one tip, for your split you can probably get a away with doing just a little patch on that side instead of covering the entire nail, just big enough to extend beyond the crack about an 1/8th of an inch. I was able to grow out two nails with cracks this way.

photo-3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.