Gel Shellac or Other

• Gel

• Shellac

• Other (list option in discussion!)

Results are only viewable after voting.

sgw135

BrightenEveryJourney
Sep 24, 2009
Ok so first I asked about my dry nails. Now I'm think while I use the cuticle oil to help rehydrate my nails it might make sense to protect them from everyday wear and tear. So my thought is to get one of these gel or shellac manicures so that the polish lasts for 2 weeks without chipping (and the chipping definitely makes my nails split and peel even more) and serves as a sturdy and tough protective shield while making my nails look pretty!!!

So which type do I do? I've never done this type before, just good old fashion polish. THANK YOU

Ok so first I asked about my dry nails. Now I'm think while I use the cuticle oil to help rehydrate my nails it might make sense to protect them from everyday wear and tear. So my thought is to get one of these gel or shellac manicures so that the polish lasts for 2 weeks without chipping (and the chipping definitely makes my nails split and peel even more) and serves as a sturdy and tough protective shield while making my nails look pretty!!!

So which type do I do? I've never done this type before, just good old fashion polish. THANK YOU

Good of you to do your homework. When you say gel manicure, do you mean gel polish or gel as in enhancement (length). Shellac is a gel polish.

Last edited:

My first gel set was done in a salon, and I was totally hooked. My older ridged and sometimes discolored nails are now always smooth and beautiful, and I equipped myself with Shellac products and a ThermalSpa UV lite for Christmas, am successfully DIYing now, so fun. Just joined this site yesterday, hope to become active member posting photos and participating in exchanges. Good luck with your quest for the product that is best for you. You are smart to do research first.

From my experiences, the type of brand you choose should be one that works with your main goal for buying them. If your goal is to have a SOG (soak off gel) polish that stays on for 2 weeks, I would suggest Gelish. On the other hand, if your goal is to have longer lasting polish job but like to switch polishes often, I would go with SOG's from either CND shellac, OPI Gelshine, or SHA Gel Polish. Just keep in mind that the two intended goals are from different sides of the spectrum in terms of quality and durability. The longer the gels last on your nails, the harder it is to remove them when you do decide to remove. I like to stay in the middle of the spectrum where I get enough durability while leaving me the option of taking off my sog with relative ease.

Has anyone been able to find other SOG companies that are in the middle of the spectrum?

i Dont have any problems with removal or length of wear and i do not use shellac, i personally dont like it. I use gelish, lechat, OPI, IBD, etc with no issues. If you have thin damaged nails no SOG will wear well. Its meant for healthy nails. you can use it while your growing yours out just be aware you may only get a week or so out of your polish not the full 10-14 days.

i Dont have any problems with removal or length of wear and i do not use shellac, i personally dont like it. I use gelish, lechat, OPI, IBD, etc with no issues. If you have thin damaged nails no SOG will wear well. Its meant for healthy nails. you can use it while your growing yours out just be aware you may only get a week or so out of your polish not the full 10-14 days.

:smile:

I wont argue with you there, gelish has a lot more selections than any sog brand. I am sad to say my nails are not healthy, and I did use the sog just for that very reason you pointed out. I'm so happy to have found SOG'S.

From my experiences, the type of brand you choose should be one that works with your main goal for buying them. If your goal is to have a SOG (soak off gel) polish that stays on for 2 weeks, I would suggest Gelish. On the other hand, if your goal is to have longer lasting polish job but like to switch polishes often, I would go with SOG's from either CND shellac, OPI Gelshine, or SHA Gel Polish. Just keep in mind that the two intended goals are from different sides of the spectrum in terms of quality and durability. The longer the gels last on your nails, the harder it is to remove them when you do decide to remove. I like to stay in the middle of the spectrum where I get enough durability while leaving me the option of taking off my sog with relative ease.

Has anyone been able to find other SOG companies that are in the middle of the spectrum?

I don't think it's quite that simple.

The SOG basecoats that are hybrid, i.e, contain rnp type solvents, tend to be the easiest to remove but lack durability - Shellac, OPI GelColor. Those that are closer to 100% gel are harder to remove but last longer.

That said, while there is generally a negative correlation between durability and ease of removal, there are lots of things you can do to adjust between one and the other. The first is to use a thin rnp base coat under your SOG base; that helps a lot with removal. Using primer or bonder will make any SOG more durable but harder to remove than without, but you can use it selectively on tips or certain fingers. Using heat and the proper remover makes any SOG easier to remove as does a longer soak. So you have to experiment with what combination of brand, primer/bonder, base coat, time, heat, etc. works for you.

I don't think it's quite that simple.

The SOG basecoats that are hybrid, i.e, contain rnp type solvents, tend to be the easiest to remove but lack durability - Shellac, OPI GelColor. Those that are closer to 100% gel are harder to remove but last longer.

That said, while there is generally a negative correlation between durability and ease of removal, there are lots of things you can do to adjust between one and the other. The first is to use a thin rnp base coat under your SOG base; that helps a lot with removal. Using primer or bonder will make any SOG more durable but harder to remove than without, but you can use it selectively on tips or certain fingers. Using heat and the proper remover makes any SOG easier to remove as does a longer soak. So you have to experiment with what combination of brand, primer/bonder, base coat, time, heat, etc. works for you.

Very good point. I particularly like basecoats that are hybrid. I like to change my colors too often to stick with basecoats that are 100% gel.

Thank you. Printed off and saved for future reference. As of now the whole gel business if to new to me to know if I want it to last longer or if I want the removal to be easier. Maybe a bit of both systems would be ideal.

Thank you. Printed off and saved for future reference. As of now the whole gel business if to new to me to know if I want it to last longer or if I want the removal to be easier. Maybe a bit of both systems would be ideal.
I think the majority of us mix and match anyways, but just find one base and top coat we like...

For me my base are Gelish its what i started with and i had no wants to try something different.
However for colors i use everything except Shellac (i have a LED light) so i use gelish, IBD, LeChat, RCM, OPI, EZ Flow, Orly, Light elegance, Ink, Jessica Geleration, Entity One, Daisy....

Speaking of this i need to order another TIO.. i use vitagel instead of the foundation, i find that now that my nails are healthier the vitagel does wonders for helping my nails stay healthy.