Gathered Sophia question

celestya

May 3, 2008
Hi everyone! First time poster, long time lurker! :smile:

So thanks to reading this wonderful forum, I have acquired way too many (no such thing right?) Coach purses. My ultimate coach purse obsession at the moment is the large gathered black sophia! I have been hunting one for a while and have lost out on a few auctions.
Last night I found one that caught my eye.
It is used, and I know that the gathers will relax a little bit, but I need your opinions!
It is described in great condition and hardly used.
The seller has been very nice and has sent me a few pictures of the purse with nothing in it, and then with items in it.
It looks like the gathers might be a little too relaxed, but it is hard to really tell. Am I being crazy for being so picky?!
The first three pictures are with the purse empty. The last three are with it full.
Thanks for the help everyone! :smile:

Attachments

• image-1229417526.jpg
    image-1229417526.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 352
  • image-2296899664.jpg
    image-2296899664.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 350
  • image-1695077931.jpg
    image-1695077931.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 353
  • image-1473845139.jpg
    image-1473845139.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 346
  • image-1730680449.jpg
    image-1730680449.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 351
  • image-1841370041.jpg
    image-1841370041.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 336
It is the nature of the gathered leather to relax over time. With that said, I think it relaxes more if the bag is overloaded or has a lot of heavy items in it. I have two gathered Sophias that have not relaxed near as much as that bag has. I don't overload them, but I don't use them constantly either...I rotate my bags pretty frequently.

I don't think you're being too picky. You're the one who has to carry the bag, so you should be 100% happy with any bag that you purchase. If you're not happy with how this one looks, pass and wait for one that's more to your liking.

There is also a thread on here about how to fix gathers that have loosened up: http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/a-gathered-sophia-wrinkle-treatment-that-worked-688502.html
If the price is right, you might be able to try and fix the loose gathers like the poster in this thread did.

It's so pretty! My midnight gathered bag is shot to sh_t. It's complete smoosh and really soft and all the gathers are a wreck, but I don't care. I bought it used, and I love it to death. Or perhaps the person before me already loved it to death lol....and anybody that isn't on this board wouldn't look at the bag and think that the gathered parts are unraveled. I still get compliments all the time on the bag even though I personally know it's pretty beat up. :smile:
But, as nc.girl said, if it's something that would bother you, then it's not something to overlook.

It's so pretty! My midnight gathered bag is shot to sh_t. It's complete smoosh and really soft and all the gathers are a wreck, but I don't care. I bought it used, and I love it to death. Or perhaps the person before me already loved it to death lol....and anybody that isn't on this board wouldn't look at the bag and think that the gathered parts are unraveled. I still get compliments all the time on the bag even though I personally know it's pretty beat up. :smile:
But, as nc.girl said, if it's something that would bother you, then it's not something to overlook.

I agree! My large gathered Sophia was purchased used for about 33% of the original MSRP and while I've since bought others that don't have the amount of relaxing in the gathers, I kind of like the fact that I don't have to be paranoid about taking super good care of the first one (as I am with many of my other bags). It is ironic that this bag is likely the one I own in the worst shape, yet I do get many compliments on it.

Thanks for the replies!
The purse is priced at $350, so for how relaxed the gathering is, it might not be worth it. Its a shame too since the seller is so nice.
I guess if it were a little cheaper then it might be worth a shot as seeing if I could get it in better shape myself.
There must be a perfect large gathered sophia out there for me somewhere! :smile:

Thanks for the replies!
The purse is priced at $350, so for how relaxed the gathering is, it might not be worth it. Its a shame too since the seller is so nice.
I guess if it were a little cheaper then it might be worth a shot as seeing if I could get it in better shape myself.
There must be a perfect large gathered sophia out there for me somewhere! :smile:

Absolutely! Keep looking. Your great deal will pop up! I got mine for $200 and free shipping, and it came with an authentic Coach charm too. I'll drop you a PM if I find one in the upcoming weeks :smile:

Thanks for the replies!
I would email the seller and mention your interest in the bag, but at a lower price. If possible, find some completed online auctions showing similar large Sophias in better condition that ideally sold for less than $350. If the seller is reasonable, chances are that they will be willing to sell you the bag for a bit less if you do the research. I'm guessing that at $350 in that condition, they have not had much other interest in the bag. When I bought my large gathered Sophia about 9-10 months ago, I paid about $205 for it. I think that mine has had more relaxing than the one you're considering, but it certainly can't hurt to ask for a well-researched and justified price drop.

I found this completed item, it sold for $358, but the gathers look much crisper to me than in the pictures that the seller sent you.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coach-Madis...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited:
I would email the seller and mention your interest in the bag, but at a lower price. If possible, find some completed online auctions showing similar large Sophias in better condition that ideally sold for less than $350. If the seller is reasonable, chances are that they will be willing to sell you the bag for a bit less if you do the research. I'm guessing that at $350 in that condition, they have not had much other interest in the bag. When I bought my large gathered Sophia about 9-10 months ago, I paid about $205 for it. I think that mine has had more relaxing than the one you're considering, but it certainly can't hurt to ask for a well-researched and justified price drop.

I found this completed item, it sold for $358, but the gathers look much crisper to me than in the pictures that the seller sent you.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coach-Madison-Gathered-Leather-Large-Sophia-Satchel-Black-15947-/321075541983?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item4ac197f7df&nma=true&si=1KW00ihV%252B0xoIPLp%252FCsvwVgdm08%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I noticed that auction too. It does look much better than the one I have been looking at!
I contacted the seller and told her I would pass on it, but if she would consider a lower price, then I would purchase.
I always manage to miss out on the great ones on eBay!

I bought brand new tags still attached gathered Sophia in Midnight for $350 (shipping included) few weeks ago, so I'd say your item is a little overpriced for it's condition, try to negotiate with the seller. Good luck!

This! The FOS has a regular bone gatherd Sophia, large and a Lindsey right now! They've been having a grey one too but it's not on the current sale.

I've been eyeing those and it's quite tempting! The large grey one is pretty, but I must hold out for a black one *fingers crossed*
I wonder if Coach happens to have any large black ones laying around in their warehouse somewhere..

I've been eyeing those and it's quite tempting! The large grey one is pretty, but I must hold out for a black one *fingers crossed*
I wonder if Coach happens to have any large black ones laying around in their warehouse somewhere..

They may, just call with the item number abd if they have it, use yur PCE that epires tonight. I know they have black gathered Lindsey but they may have some of large Sophia as well.