Arts & Crafts Gardening...art or craft? Or both?

natalie78

Did you die?
O.G.
May 6, 2008
I love gardening...I just moved into a new house and I am outside digging in the dirt almost every day. I am constantly planting and moving things around. Even in my apartments, I had every square inch of outside space filled with plants and flowers.

I still have a lot of yard space left to do things with. Anyone have any unique things that they have done in their own yards? I will begin posting pictures once I get my home computer up and running...

i want to plant a garden SOOOO bad. i just can't get myself motivated enough to use my free time to do it. and i hate being outside in the heat...

i always love looking at the garden art and sculptures...

I am a renter now (so don't have much space)... but I love to garden!! I would have to say it's both art and craft! I have had a nice flower garden (annuals and perennials) as well as a hot pepper garden with tomato plants to make homemade salsa! I think I have some pics I can post -- of course this time of year the garden is ... well... frozen.

Definitely both! I love to garden, but now I'm in a city house, in a whole different country, with a garden the size of a blanket, my knowledge is zilch. Nothing grows, so I've gone the Zen garden routhe ;)
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!!

Yes, it is both! I have slacked off a bit on my flower beds, but I like doing it. My flower beds need to be weeded right now and some new annuals planted. I would like to try to grow some veggies and wonder if they'd grow for me. I grow my own herbs and they grow pretty well.

I don't know, I like landscaping on the whole, even cutting the grass. It's fun to get your hands dirty and be able to say, "I did that" as your plants/flowers grow. Plus, it is a great way to personalize and update the outside of a home!

Container gardening is even really nice for the entrance of a house or on the back deck to set an nice mood. Don't you love shopping for the containers!!

Since we moved to Florida, we don't have a garden. But, our garden in Michigan was beautiful. It had a three-foot fence all the way around with marigolds planted, and a really neat garden fence with a trellis that had morning glories on it. We loved it. Then we moved here, and having a garden in our subdivision is just impossible. But, I have planted a teeny weeny herb garden in pots that has served us well. At least I can get fresh basil, oregano, mint, sage and chives when I need them.

Attachments

• 100_2852.jpg
    100_2852.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 49
I think gardening is definitely both! I love to garden and wish I had a bigger yard to use as my canvas if you know what I mean! I plant mostly herbs and tomatoes, that kind of thing but it's definitely a fine art and takes talent to craft!!!

Natalie, this is a great topic. You can get really crafty here. It is also a great way to recycle fabulous interior sculptural pieces. I have had three friends that put rod iron headboards and footboards in their gardens and made them into flower"beds" I knew someone else that had an old claw foot tub filled with flowers in her front yard ~~~ she had an old porcelain toilet next to it, too. She had a huge property so only guests really noticed these accesssories.
I read about a lady who loved to garden and the city installed a firehydrant in her front yard. She was furious. I really ruined the aesthetics of her garden.
So she hired an artist that created a dog topiary with its hind leg poised over the hydrant. Problem solved!!!!!!

Great topic!!!!
Years ago I saw at a craft show these really great teacups and saucers on sticks to place in your garden. I made them and a matching tin teapot that was slightly tilted as if it were being poured. Well the teacups are gone now but the tin teapot has turned into a planter. I will take pic's after the plants look a little better! Last week cental Florida suffered a horrible freeze. :sad:

Here is an example of the Flower"Bed".......

flowerbed.jpg

Definitely both! OMG gondola girl that reminds me of a neighbor we used to live by... they had this old toilet that they used as a planter in their front yard... at first you think, "a toilet!? wtf!?" but it actually was soooooooo cute lol!