Garden Party

300472bag

Feb 14, 2013
I need some advice from Garden Party fans.

I am totally knew to Hermes and think of getting a Garden Party 36. I have two kids and it seems to be quite a practical bag. I found a canvas/leather 2006 and a full leather 2012. The price difference is about 1K USD and in comparable condition. I can afford both but not sure if I should go for the canvas or leather. I look after my bags but also wanna be able to enjoy it. I want something that will hold it shape and easy to maintain.
Is a 2006 Garden Party considered vintage? What are the detail differences between a current and 2006 Garden Party?
Both bags come with a scuffed corner which doesn't look too bad. Any idea how can it be treated/protected?

Help!. Which one should I go for?

The link for this bag is for the TPM size which I don't think is the 36 size right? TPM is he smaller of the two GP sizes. I have a toile combo and all leather and my all leather happens to also be rouge H too but in he larger size. Love them both a lot. Not sure which canvas u r considering so hard to give feedback.

Will hold shape: Canvas/Toile/leather GP. Easier maintenance: all leather GP.
I wouldn't call any bags from 2006 vintage, cause then I have to admit that I'm a relic in my age. lol
I personally prefer Canvas/toile/leather GP cause it maintain its shape better and it's so so light compared to Any other H bags, though the canvas version might show more wear easier. All leather GP in 36cm will flop down with usage and age given it's all leather, that's just natural but it's heavier for me, so I only go for 30cm for all leather GP. HTH. :smile:

I agree generally with cr1stalangel's comments. Though I'm not sure if I have a preference. Even tho they are both casual, I view them differently and toile being even more casual. I like both and that the leather offers color to a wardrobe.

Toile is more sturdy and stiff so won't slouch. Leather slouches some. I once spilled hot chocolate all over my toile and I could wipe it right off. If I had leather and it spilled inside it I wouldn't have been able to clean it as well. The outside would have been fine of course.

I will try to take picture for you of both next to each other to show you how they have aged but I don't know how to watermark so let me see what I can do.

And cr1stalangel's comments about vintage is funny. Same here! Both of my bags are in the 2008 era maybe? I can't remember when I bought them but at least 4+ years old?

Thanks everyone. That's very helpful.

I am slightly inclined to getting the all leather one now.

dessert1st, Both of you bags are in great condition. The all leather GP that I am considering is like yours. What color do you call that? Do you use it often in the past 4+ years? Any special care? I am more than happy if mine can hold it shape like yours after 4+ years. LOL.

Anyone has experience with scuffed corners? Any pre and post treatment to protect them?

All bags are prone to scuffed corners. It just depends on how rough and careful you are when using it. Not sure on maintenance, sorry. Unfortunately I don't use it tons. I am embarrassed to say that I kinda have a few too many bags and so I have to rotate them. I'll use it for a week and then move on to the next. Ina year I will use several times. But I also try to take good care of my bags worn and unworn. When I do use it I tend to carry too much since I have children. It's an awesome mommy bag and I highly recommend.

Is the bag you're looking for the link you sent? If so, I think that bag is smaller than mine. I think it's a great bag to have in rouge H which is the color of mine. Also GP are great bags to experiment with color since its casual.

I have both the toile and all leather. I love both for different reasons. The toile keeps its structure better so if you care about that, then you should go with toile. That being said, I love the leather as it slouches. I feel it makes it more casual and "cool." Lol. The 36 is a great size but keep in mind the straps are on the shorter side and don't go easily on the shoulder for some people. I can get it over mine but would not be able to do so if I have on a thick coat.

I am a newer GP owner in all leather - Negonda. I love, love, love the bag ... BUT I will say that it gets VERY heavy when not even "full." I have a purse organizer from Divide and Conquer that is pretty light but this bag strains my arms at times and I don't think I carry an excessive amount.

I still love it and want it it multiple colors but I am considering the canvas version as a "lighter" option for some uses.

Reactions: BirdieK