Garden Party 36 and moms

sakuraboo

O.G.
Jan 17, 2011
as titled, my question is geared towards moms :biggrin: but please chime in if you have any advice TIA!

i'm trying to decide whether or not to get a GP36. I have a 2 yr old and since my son was born, all my shoulder totes have been sitting in my closet as I have to pick him up here and there and my shoulders just can't handle everything that's going on. Is it just me or do other moms use shoulder totes while carrying their kids?

Having said that, my SA just sent me a picture of a GP36 in a color that I have been looking for. Should I get it or should I just let it go?

Reactions: so_sofya1985
GP in full leather is quite heavy when loaded. I would recommend GP in dark color toile if you like the design. Having said this, GP handles are rolled handles, which tends to slide off my shoulder easily.
Evelyn's flat and wider strap stays better on the shoulder , plus you can sling it across body for hands free option. Check out both Ode to Garden Party and Ode to Evelyn in the Hermes Club House for lots of helpful info on both design.
Have fun exploring

Reactions: sakuraboo
GP in full leather is quite heavy when loaded. I would recommend GP in dark color toile if you like the design. Having said this, GP handles are rolled handles, which tends to slide off my shoulder easily.
Evelyn's flat and wider strap stays better on the shoulder , plus you can sling it across body for hands free option. Check out both Ode to Garden Party and Ode to Evelyn in the Hermes Club House for lots of helpful info on both design.
Have fun exploring

Thanks!! will take a look in the club house..

I agree. I had 2 GPs in leather, 36, and found them clunky and heavy for everyday use. If you put too much in it, it definitely digs into your shoulder. I did love the Evelyne PM for when my kids were smaller. The only thing is, the top can't be closed, so when you bend down to pick him up, be careful, things can fall out. Otherwise, it is a great bag for running around town with kids.

I agree. I had 2 GPs in leather, 36, and found them clunky and heavy for everyday use. If you put too much in it, it definitely digs into your shoulder. I did love the Evelyne PM for when my kids were smaller. The only thing is, the top can't be closed, so when you bend down to pick him up, be careful, things can fall out. Otherwise, it is a great bag for running around town with kids.

Thanks for your reply! exactly what I was worried about the GP..

I went in one day DETERMINED to buy the GP, but my SA (rightly) convinced me otherwise. She recommended the Evelyne, but I veered toward to Bolide. Cross body carry is much easier when running after a little one.

Don't forget to consider the Lindy. I use them all the time with my kids. They are stylish and deceivingly roomy, with lots of handy little pockets on the outside and in. Whilst I don't find it a con, they are not crossbody bags so bending down and picking things up constantly could mean the bag flopping forward or occasionally slipping off your shoulders.

I mostly agree with the others. If you go for the GP you should think of it as a tote bag rather than a shoulder bag- a bit like Birkin. I've never been comfortable carrying a GP over my shoulder. However it is a great tote bag as long as you need to carry tons of stuff, such as change of clothes, diapers, wipes etc.
If you don't need to carry that much I agree that the Evelyn is a great choice for a daily bag. However I have a hard time fitting all the baby necessities in it. After the diaper phase it is great though.

I don't recommend using a GP with a young toddler, GP is not going to stay on your shoulders. You will end up carry it on your wrist, and it's pretty heavy too. Agreed with others evelyne would suit you better!

Interesting!
I'm actually on the hunt for a GP36 as I want to use it for work and weekends when I'm out with my toddler. I don't mind using it as a tote as I quite like how it's easy to access contents etc...

The GP is hard to use over the shoulder (I do not carry my GP that was as it is not comfortable and feels/looks awkward). The easiest and best way (in my opinion) to carry the GP is either hand-held or over the crook of your arm. However, note that the leather GP can get heavy. Also, it would be difficult to carry a toddler while holding a GP (hand-held or over the crook of your arm).

That said, I think the best "mommy bag" would be the evelyne since you can wear it cross-body. Jypsiere is another bag that you can consider if you want a more secure bag. However, if you think you will need more space to put the things of your little one, you may want to consider the Double Sens style - you can wear it over the shoulder, roomy, and you can easily get your things in and out of the bag (which I find to be very important if you have a little one in tow).

Last edited:
Have fun exploring

I'm on a roll of replying to H bags that don't work for me - the other being double sens. Like bagalogist, this was not a good bag for me with the straps constantly sliding down. I did have the toile one so it wasn't heavy but at the time, my child was yours's age so I was constantly afraid that his shoes or hands would connect with the toile. :wtf:

The best bags for me at that time and now are the crossbody...at the time my favorites were the Evelyn PM and the Celine Nanos. I then segued to Berline and TPMs now that I don't have to carry much for him.

Reactions: bagalogist
Hmmmm...i am in the minority but love my garden party 36. My children are a bit older 12 and 6 so I dont carry their stuff though. And mine stays put on my shoulders and I find it so light compared to my birkins!

Sent from my LG-H820 using PurseForum mobile app