FYI-Neiman Marcus/BG/Last Call Return Policy Change!!!

TIFFANI251

O.G.
Feb 26, 2012
Just wanted to let everyone know that Neiman Marcus has completley ended all in-store returns of Bergdorf Goodman or Last Call merchandise. They will not take anything, doesn't matter if you purchased online or in-store, all merchandise must be returned back to the store you purchased. Neiman's will only accept items you purchased from there online or brick and mortar stores, no exceptions.

I found out the hard way while trying to make a return of a BG item I purchased online. For the longest my local NM would still accept online BG purchases but not in-store purchases from BG. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper when they refused my return. I even spoke with the store gm whom advised they were told via email the return policy has been altered due to tax and inventory issues.

Simply put if you went to NM to make a BG return, the NM system did not talk to the BG system therefore, the item would show not in stock on the BG system when actually it was in stock. Or the system would credit the return tax amount due to the customer incorrectly.

Right away I complained and pointed out how this new policy was not customer friendly. The whole reason I went to return my item in store was because I already knew if I mailed my items back to BG, the return/refund process is a 3 week turnaround. Personally I do not want to wait a full 3 weeks to get my money back. So needless to say, I will no longer be shopping at BG, to much trouble being as though I am not in that part of NY enough to be able to return in store. Also, can you imagine if you purchase a really expensive item like a Chanel bag and then have to wait for the item to be processed via the mail? To much room for a mishap in my opinion.

In closing to be fair...I should add that some BG items have the feature where as though you can have your card credited once the return label is scanned at the post office and shows as shipped. This will be helpful for some, but this does not apply to all merchandise.

Has anyone else heard anything?
Please share any intel you may have, thanks

Just wanted to let everyone know that Neiman Marcus has completley ended all in-store returns of Bergdorf Goodman or Last Call merchandise. They will not take anything, doesn't matter if you purchased online or in-store, all merchandise must be returned back to the store you purchased. Neiman's will only accept items you purchased from there online or brick and mortar stores, no exceptions.

I found out the hard way while trying to make a return of a BG item I purchased online. For the longest my local NM would still accept online BG purchases but not in-store purchases from BG. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper when they refused my return. I even spoke with the store gm whom advised they were told via email the return policy has been altered due to tax and inventory issues.

Simply put if you went to NM to make a BG return, the NM system did not talk to the BG system therefore, the item would show not in stock on the BG system when actually it was in stock. Or the system would credit the return tax amount due to the customer incorrectly.

Right away I complained and pointed out how this new policy was not customer friendly. The whole reason I went to return my item in store was because I already knew if I mailed my items back to BG, the return/refund process is a 3 week turnaround. Personally I do not want to wait a full 3 weeks to get my money back. So needless to say, I will no longer be shopping at BG, to much trouble being as though I am not in that part of NY enough to be able to return in store. Also, can you imagine if you purchase a really expensive item like a Chanel bag and then have to wait for the item to be processed via the mail? To much room for a mishap in my opinion.

In closing to be fair...I should add that some BG items have the feature where as though you can have your card credited once the return label is scanned at the post office and shows as shipped. This will be helpful for some, but this does not apply to all merchandise.

Yikes! This puts a crimp in my shopping! I used to order from BG all the time because it was so easy for me to return to the local NM. I was saving sales tax by shopping that way, so I guess that in future I better be sure that I am going to keep whatever it is or go through the hassle of the mail back return.

Were you using your NM card at BG?

Yikes! This puts a crimp in my shopping! I used to order from BG all the time because it was so easy for me to return to the local NM. I was saving sales tax by shopping that way, so I guess that in future I better be sure that I am going to keep whatever it is or go through the hassle of the mail back return.

Were you using your NM card at BG?

Hello, no not this trip. I used a NM GC for my purchase.

But I did ask that what if I use my NM CC, they said doesnt matter. Policy is still the same.

I really hope enough people complain so they change this policy. But in all honesty I doubt it, we are in a diffrent era right now and the tax issue is big for them. So IMO, I think that alone has a huge bearing on the implementation of this crappy new return policy.

Hello, no not this trip. I used a NM GC for my purchase.

But I did ask that what if I use my NM CC, they said doesnt matter. Policy is still the same.

I really hope enough people complain so they change this policy. But in all honesty I doubt it, we are in a diffrent era right now and the tax issue is big for them. So IMO, I think that alone has a huge bearing on the implementation of this crappy new return policy.
I don't think it will change. Frankly, I couldn't understand how we were getting away with not paying sales tax here since NM owns BG and has stores in my state. They may soon change that policy and start charging just like Saks or any other store that has a brick and mortar where you live if the ownership is the same. The only way to get around that with luxury goods is buying from an out of state store that is not a chain with stores in your state, There are plenty of very good ones, but you need to know exactly what you are buying because the return process could be a real PIA.

Sit tight and hold your skirts and trousers. There's more scary news. I visited NM at Palo Alto/Stanford a few weeks ago. There is a NEW Policy effective FEB 1, 2017. It's something like this, "NM will only accept returns of New, Unworn, with original receipts and packaging with Receipt within 60 days of purchase". I get the unworn, even though I know that can be a tricky judgement call, but you CANNOT RETURN PAST 60 DAYs

I'm curious to know if this is NM policy nationwide. If anyone shops at HQ in Dallas or other locations, please confirm if no returns past 60 days returns policy at your store.

This is a win for SA's, but not great for customer satisfaction. Tiffani251 thanks for sharing this as I had no idea about returns from BG Online.

NM is becoming like SAKS. Who know if someday Nordstrom may start following suit. From now on I will be more cautious of making purchases which is good for my pocketbook. :smile:

Sit tight and hold your skirts and trousers. There's more scary news. I visited NM at Palo Alto/Stanford a few weeks ago. There is a NEW Policy effective FEB 1, 2017. It's something like this, "NM will only accept returns of New, Unworn, with original receipts and packaging with Receipt within 60 days of purchase". I get the unworn, even though I know that can be a tricky judgement call, but you CANNOT RETURN PAST 60 DAYs

I'm curious to know if this is NM policy nationwide. If anyone shops at HQ in Dallas or other locations, please confirm if no returns past 60 days returns policy at your store.

This is a win for SA's, but not great for customer satisfaction. Tiffani251 thanks for sharing this as I had no idea about returns from BG Online.

NM is becoming like SAKS. Who know if someday Nordstrom may start following suit. From now on I will be more cautious of making purchases which is good for my pocketbook. :smile:

Is this printed on receipts? Or at the cash register? I haven't noticed anything re online sales.

I do try to return things right away if they are not right (typically online stuff) so it won't likely affect me a lot. And I guess this will keep non-seasonal stuff from coming back to stores. But they sell non-seasonal stuff all the time, e.g., sandals are everywhere on the website and it is not going to be sandal weather very soon. I can envision buying summer shoes or sandals in February and deciding I don't love them when I take them out to wear them in May or June. I guess I will hold off on some purchases.

I'll be honest, it would never occur to me to return items not bought from NM directly to NM.
I have friends that work for all the different areas of NM, because it's based here, and they're all ran like separate businesses tbh. My friend that works for online hates to hear me say I don't buy online because I prefer shopping in person. My friends that work in different parts of the store {a freelance make up artist, SA & buyer} they love to hear that I prefer the shopping experience. I have 2 other friends that work for NMLC and it's truly like that all work for different companies.
As a consumer I can see how this would impact those who have enjoyed that perk.

Also a consumer I can't see why I'd need to return anything after 60 days. . . I can understand if it's defective, but not for any other reason.

Is this printed on receipts? Or at the cash register? I haven't noticed anything re online sales.

I do try to return things right away if they are not right (typically online stuff) so it won't likely affect me a lot. And I guess this will keep non-seasonal stuff from coming back to stores. But they sell non-seasonal stuff all the time, e.g., sandals are everywhere on the website and it is not going to be sandal weather very soon. I can envision buying summer shoes or sandals in February and deciding I don't love them when I take them out to wear them in May or June. I guess I will hold off on some purchases.
Great question. I have not purchased recently as I was at Customer Service. I'm going to ping my SA and ask him about this.

Printed on the back of the BG receipt;
Return policy
Returns & exchanges will be gladly accepted at Bergdorf Goodman within 60 days of receipt.
Merchandise must be unworn undamaged, with original tags & original product packaging.
Altered, special order, perishable , personalized, &" final sale" items cannot be returned.
Price adjustments may be made within 10 days of the purchase date on regular price merchandise.
Would think the NM receipt would be along the same lines
NM Last Call may also follow along the same lines as well

Last edited:
I'll be honest, it would never occur to me to return items not bought from NM directly to NM.
I have friends that work for all the different areas of NM, because it's based here, and they're all ran like separate businesses tbh. My friend that works for online hates to hear me say I don't buy online because I prefer shopping in person. My friends that work in different parts of the store {a freelance make up artist, SA & buyer} they love to hear that I prefer the shopping experience. I have 2 other friends that work for NMLC and it's truly like that all work for different companies.
As a consumer I can see how this would impact those who have enjoyed that perk.

Also a consumer I can't see why I'd need to return anything after 60 days. . . I can understand if it's defective, but not for any other reason.

Think this policy might have been put into place perhaps for online sellers .IYKWIM
Most customers don't have any reason to keep merchandise out of a store for 30 days
much less 60 days..
Tightening the reins here a bit..

Reactions: lulilu

OMG, this is the first I heard of no returns past 60 days!!!! Again this stinks for customer service.

Now I can see some thinking that they dont hold stuff for longer than 60 days or others thinking just return to where you purchased. But I disagree for a couple of reasons....the only BG is in NY, so for those who live in KS, FL, TN, etc.....its way easier just to return to your local NM rather than wait on the mail in return process. Also, some people have health issues, families, work, etc. that may keep them from getting to the mall often. I know I fall into this category, which prevents me from getting to the mall as often as I would like.

I am going to call my local store tomm and confirm if the 60 day return is indeed a nationwide new plcy. I will come back with an update once i find out.
Or if anyone else knows for sure please chime in, thanks.

Reactions: lovieluvslux