Fussy about flaps! Looking for SBS advice please.

Feb 14, 2010
hello all, could you help me?
I plan to buy an oak SBS but am a bit out of touch. I have recently been using my pheasant green heritage SBS hence the reigniting of my Mulberry passion. Though the leather is lovely the flap is I think a bit thin in comparison with the body of the bag and I want my new bag to be a well built and firm of flap!!
Do you think I can risk it mail order? I live in rural Devon and think Cribbs Causeway is my nearest ' in the flesh' venue so a biggish journey for me. Do I try to find the bag I'm looking for over the phone?
Is the current quality of SBSs good and the NVT sturdy?
Is the SBS being retired?
Any experiences from recent purchasers?

Thank you so much!

Hi there
Mulberry has stopped all orders over the phone due to frauds, so you won't be able place a mail order anyway but visit one of their stores.
NVT, like the name suggests, is natural. Hence, it is not a sturdy material. Bags in this material will lose their structures over time. If you want something more structured, I suggest you take a look at Small Classic Grain.

Last edited:
Hi there
Mulberry has stopped all orders over the phone due to frauds, so you won't be able place a mail order anyway but visit one of their stores.
NVT, like the name suggests, is natural. Hence, it is not a sturdy material. Bags in this material will lose their structures over time. If you want something more structured, I suggest you take a look at Small Classic Grain.
Thank you so much, will check out the small classic grain.

I forgot to mention as well that all the classic/heritage SBSs are made in NVT. You can find small classic grain SBS in the new version of (Johnny Coca)
http://www.mulberry.com/gb/shop/wom...swater-black-silver-toned-small-classic-grain
This new design also comes in Natural Grain Leather, which (in my opinion) looks virtually the same as Small Class Grain. Though I've read that one of the members of this forum has had problems with it
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/experiences-with-the-new-leather.962667/

I forgot to mention as well that all the classic/heritage SBSs are made in NVT. You can find small classic grain SBS in the new version of (Johnny Coca)
http://www.mulberry.com/gb/shop/wom...swater-black-silver-toned-small-classic-grain
This new design also comes in Natural Grain Leather, which (in my opinion) looks virtually the same as Small Class Grain. Though I've read that one of the members of this forum has had problems with it
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/experiences-with-the-new-leather.962667/
Worrying about the wear isn't it? I've checked out the Small New Bays and it looks like the whole thing, not just the flap, is more structured and will hold its shape quite rigidly. That would be fine with me but it looks more corporate and less relaxed than the SBS. I like the inner pockets at the front though. Clever. I will hope for a reveal to come up and in the meantime plan a journey to compare them IRL.

I appreciate your pointers Shoesshoeshoes

hello all, could you help me?
I plan to buy an oak SBS but am a bit out of touch. I have recently been using my pheasant green heritage SBS hence the reigniting of my Mulberry passion. Though the leather is lovely the flap is I think a bit thin in comparison with the body of the bag and I want my new bag to be a well built and firm of flap!!
Do you think I can risk it mail order? I live in rural Devon and think Cribbs Causeway is my nearest ' in the flesh' venue so a biggish journey for me. Do I try to find the bag I'm looking for over the phone?
Is the current quality of SBSs good and the NVT sturdy?
Is the SBS being retired?
Any experiences from recent purchasers?

Thank you so much!

I also have the pheasant green heritage SBS and the leather is definitely thinner than my grained oak and black girls. I don't have any experience of the new, "winged" versions but, as has been said, sadly it seems Mulberry no longer post out ... [emoji53]
You might find a preloved one in excellent ... Good luck with your hunt! [emoji256]

I also have the pheasant green heritage SBS and the leather is definitely thinner than my grained oak and black girls. I don't have any experience of the new, "winged" versions but, as has been said, sadly it seems Mulberry no longer post out ... [emoji53]
You might find a preloved one in excellent ... Good luck with your hunt! [emoji256]
Thanks Mayfly,
Interesting that your HSBS is thinner and it gives me confidence that other styles won't necessarily be so. I think I'll order from Mulberry.com or House of Fraser and hope for a robust flap! The winged bags are too formal for me...
Fingers crossed and thanks again.