Furminator & Short Hair cats

km8282

Jun 23, 2011
Hello Everyone & Happy New Year!

I have two bengal cats; one is a brown spotted, the other a silver spotted. Our silver boy sheds a ton, there is hair everywhere! Our brown boy hardly ever. It doesn't bother me, sure, it adds an extra
Few measly seconds to lint brush my clothes, but I love the Lil guy so much I don't care about his "loose furs" :smile:

My DH has heard good things about the furminator and wants to use it on our silver boy to alleviate some of his shedding.

I'm concerned about him using the furminator because bengals are short haired. I'm worried it may hurt him because it would be getting so close to his skin. Does anyone have any experience with short haired cats & the furminator?

Any advice would be appreciated!

DenimShopaholic

My happy place!!
O.G.
Aug 10, 2006
Hi there..no real experience using a furminator on my short-haired cats, but it does a really great job on my longer haired cats. I haven't tried in on my short-haired cats as they don't seem to need it. It seems to be a good product, just not sure of guidelines for using on short fur.

I would almost think a regular brush would work on bengals, but I'm not really familiar wtih the breed, so maybe someone who has tried it on them will pitch in.

Good luck...and I'd love to see some pics - Bengals are beautiful!

Last edited:

km8282

Jun 23, 2011
Thank you!
We do brush him daily and have started using a comb (a friend said it helps to remove more hair). He loves being brushed! The problem is, it isn't cutting it. Poor little guys leaves his brother covered in white fur after they play... Lol!

I will attach a pic as soon as I get on this thread on my computer rather
Than my phone. Thanks Again for the response!

bnjj

Jovi Junkie
O.G.
Apr 20, 2007
Bon Jovi Blvd.
My cats are short-haired and I use the Furminator with no problems. It is amazing how much loose hair this thing gets out of them.

Querencia

Feb 25, 2011
All my cats are short haired except one.. Furminator works fine. I'm always a bit cautious using it on any of them since it would be uncomfortable to get too aggressive with it and skip any bony areas, like around their hocks.

The only furminator problem we had was my boyfriend spaced out while furminating his cat and watching tv at the same time.. awhile later I looked down and pumpkin chunks looked like he was prematurely balding.... fast forward a few days and he had a regular maintenance vet appointment. I trust my vet and told him to run whatever tests he felt were necessary, we had some concerns about his kidney. When I got the bill though it was significantly higher than I anticipated. The vet ran a whole buncha tests because he was very concerned about pumpkin chunks thinning coat and wanted to get to the bottom of it.. My boyfriend had to explain and I don't think he will ever live that one down..
Only problem I've run into with the furminator so far ;) hope it's at least worth a laugh.

km8282

Jun 23, 2011
Omg!! I have to make sure my hubby doesn't space out... I doubt he will.
But. Now, I'm paranoid I should take him to the Vet for tests to make sure he isn't shedding unnecessarily!

Querencia

Feb 25, 2011
LOL It was a pretty one off thing. Pumpkin Chunks had a crazy love for furmination ;) Though seriously, he furminated him down to this sad sparse looking coat along his back/rump and his skin showed no signs of irritation which is why I guess he just sat there and enjoyed all the brushing.. Impressive little tool.