Fur/Mink Question

You might get more responses if you posted your question in the Wardrobe Forum? Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about mink. Maybe someday investing in a quality mink piece will be financially realistic for me...:wondering

This link you might like?

I would certainly think mink is a good 'first fur' to buy. Mink is very durable and if cared for properly it will outline you. They can last 15 - 20 years easily but, if stored properly (in a coll climate) then easily double it. Mink is, in my experience, very warm also. Sheared mink is an option (and just as warm actually) but I prefer 'non sheared' myself. Vintage is an option but new prices are good at the moment too.

What is your budget? At the highest end is Blackglama mink which really is special. If you are on a budget then you might choose to avoid a designer fur I guess.

Happy searching and let us know how you get on.

http://174.36.112.119/2001/FurAge182.php

Mink is a good start. Shop around and see what color you like - pictures are hard to judge by. Look up pictures of coats styles you like to get ideas.

You can also never go wrong with a vintage fur.

Is mink what you are definitely looking for? It is definitely warm. I wouldn't buy vintage unless you need to save $$$. If you do go vintage, check the coat very carefully--make sure its not cracked or dried out, split, etc. I think you will likely prefer the feel of a new mink versus a vintage but that's not to say you couldn't find something.

Russian sable is beautiful and perhaps the highest priced (a mid-length coat can cost $20,000 or more).

Go try them on and see what you like. Mink comes in various shades and is sometimes sheered. Its all a matter of what you like.

Is mink what you are definitely looking for? It is definitely warm. I wouldn't buy vintage unless you need to save $$$. If you do go vintage, check the coat very carefully--make sure its not cracked or dried out, split, etc. I think you will likely prefer the feel of a new mink versus a vintage but that's not to say you couldn't find something.

Russian sable is beautiful and perhaps the highest priced (a mid-length coat can cost $20,000 or more).

Go try them on and see what you like. Mink comes in various shades and is sometimes sheered. Its all a matter of what you like.

Thanks so much!!!!

If you're after a modern look, sheared mink is the way to go. It retains much of the warmth of regular mink, but you get a much sleeker silhouette! I suggest popping into the Neiman fur salon nearest you, as they carry most of the popular brands and fur types. You'll be able to get a better idea of the available range of styles that way. Once you've narrowed in on some specifics, you'll be better able to decide what will work best for your lifestyle (^(oo)^)v

I think Mink is a good way to go for a very long-term investment. My grandmother gave me her mink cropped jacket a few years ago...she's in her late 90's now so that should give you an idea of how long it lasts. My Husband also gave me his late mother's beaver coat that's been around for decades. That thing is WARM!!!

If you are looking for a lower cost option, you can try a woven fur...meaning strips of fur/skin are woven to make a coat. It's a much "lighter" option.

Be aware that some furs are very fragile, such as chinchilla and fox. I would not buy one of these unless it was a jacket for evening only and would not get a lot of wear as a daily fur. Mink is very hardy so I would encourage that choice. Sable is terribly expensive. I have a number of hats and collars in these fragile furs.

My fur history:

I bought my first fur coat while living in Austria. It was a light beige lamb with a mink collar. It was very warm and not as bulky as the fluffier furs such as raccoon and fox. I bought another lamb coat with a raccoon collar in the States and it wore will. This was many years ago, and I have the impression that lamb is not in favor at the moment. Or perhaps it is just not screaming fur as the others. I don't know but it's lower profile can be a good thing. It also is easy to dress down.

After that I bought a sporty fur--a mid-length fluffy muskrat with a raccoon collar. It was really warm and I did wear it frequently. This coat was more fragile though and although I cared for it well, it didn't last as long as I had hoped.

I now have a more expensive broadtail in black that is mid-calf. It is wonderful and no one has ever attacked this fur when I wore it. It is usually more expensive than mink depending on the mink quality. I can wear jackets under it, or thick sweaters or I can wear thin dresses and it still hangs well. I have never been lacking for warmth.

At the same time as the last two coats, I owned a finger-tip length, whisky-colored mink jacket which was really versatile and I just loved it. This is what I hope to replace soon.

I don't know if any of this is helpful but consider durability and the climate--NY city, for example, requires a very warm coat due to those winds that whip up and down the avenues in the winter. Burrrrr!

S.

Wow, Savieria - you have a good collection there - I am jealous :smile: Swakara is a fur I adore but yes, not really the solution for bitterly cold climates. Mink is very durable and I agree with you about more delicate furs such as chinchilla. I would not put fox into that catagory at all though. My experienhe of fox is that it is also very durable.

I think you illustrate a problem with fur though. Buy one and you will certainly become an addict looking for a 'fix' buy buying another 1 .... or 2..... etc. Mink is certainly the fur I would go for if I were a fur 'newbie'. Durable, classic, very warm and very stylish. I also agree that sheared mink can look more modern and I dont think you lose out on warmth.

Any luck so far?

How can you tell the difference from the different types of furs?

I had a elderly gentleman give me a fur coat (that once belonged to his wife), on a sad note she left him and he wanted nothing of her's.
How I got it was rather strange. I was in a small diner and he was also eating there, I was polite when he made small talk, then before he left he went to his car and brought back this fur coat and said, "I want you to have this, I think it is about your size. It's been nice talking to you." and then he just left.
The fur is in good condition and does fit perfectly but man is it heavy to wear! It has a tag inside from a local furrier that has since gone out of business. I have no clue when it comes to fur, how is the best way to educate one's self on the net? I don't want to sell it and could care less about value, just interested in knowing what I am wearing. LOL