Funny thing I learned about Made in France bags from an SA

sjunky13

Dreaming............
O.G.
Dec 17, 2006
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I met a nice SA In NYC. We talked over the phone. I told him I prefer the bags be made in France, I heard on the forum somewhere that USA bags the Patina turns faster. He was laughing and saying it must be an urban myth...etc. He tole me he toured the factories in France and California and funny thing is that in France, no one is French in the factories, they were a lot of people from [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gualamala and other countries.
[/FON
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif],but no french[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] workers. But in the USA factories they had a great number of French workers , they want to come and live in the states. So the idea of a French craftsman working on your bag is funny. I asked him about special orders and custome luggage. He did say the Luggage was not made in the factories, meaning they had special people doing the custom order luggage. He said for the popular peices they turn them out in minutes . The leather and peices are sent to the factory in California, so its all the same leather and canvas. Make me think I have been brainwashed with the Made in FRance thing. [/FONT]

hmm Im not 100% sure I totally believe this, not to say the SA is lying but I think maybe this is somewhat exaggerated to tell customers who have a preference,so that alot more people want the made in USA products as I see on here alot of forum members only like made in France. I think there are probably alot of french workers since all the EU laws regarding Immigration especially when LV uses only very experienced workers, on the LVMH website it gives jobs available at LV and what the criteria is for such a job.

Last edited:
hmm Im not 100% sure I totally believe this, not to say the SA is lying but I think maybe this is somewhat exaggerated to tell customers who have a preference,so that alot more people want the made in USA products as I see on here alot of forum members only like made in France. I think there are probably alot of french workers since all the EU laws regarding Immigration especially when LV uses only very experienced workers, on the LVMH website it gives jobs available at LV and what the criteria is for such a job.
Im sure there are some French workers. Maybe he did exagerate, BUT his main point was these arent craftsmen or women with 20 years of Leather making in thier blood sitting in some fancy factory making speedies. They are really mass produced. Hey I still Love LV. I bought a bag today infact. Im saying , its more of a romantic idea that I even buy into about the Made in France bags. Just in France not "all" french workers or craftmanship. Its also like saying Marc Jacobs designed the bags, no LV's and Marc's accessory teams did. Yes he gets final say . But Karl from Chanel and Marc dont design the bags themselves.

I prefer the Made In France bags, but for me, it not about WHO makes the bag (frenchman, american, chinese etc.) but WHERE it is produced (France). Its hard to explain. Is a german car that is made in the U.S., a german car? For me, no. Its perceived quality, though in reality, it doesn't make a difference in actual quality.

I prefer the Made In France bags, but for me, it not about WHO makes the bag (frenchman, american, chinese etc.) but WHERE it is produced (France). Its hard to explain. Is a german car that is made in the U.S., a german car? For me, no. Its perceived quality, though in reality, it doesn't make a difference in actual quality.
I agree. Its like Mercedes Germany, made in Idaho. LOL. I get it. I just think what he said was really funny and how people get this notion that its men in berets making speedies. :lol:

lol

That SA is totally clueless...feeding you crap!
My spouse is a french citizen. His parents live near the LV factory in Asnieres.
I'm pretty sure their neighbors who are employed there are french nationals!!!!

lol

p.s. it all boils down to personal preference.
All mine are French made.

things i've heard include how europe has a law wherein a product can have parts made in other countries, but if it has a part or is assembled in europe, it can be labeled as made in whichever european country that is. i think there's a thread somewhere here discussing how the monogram canvas is actually printed in china, that's why some fakes can have real looking canvas on them. another is how a lot of european countries have factories in their own chinatowns, so the items are still labeled made in france or italy, but by chinese in an italian chinatown or something. we have to note that theres more than one lv workshop in france, so maybe not asnieres, but the other possibly. well... ahaha!