Funny thing happened on the way to my seat . . .

As I inched by her on the way to my seat, I smiled at her and said, "don't you just love this shawl?" and her reply was priceless:

"My husband gave it to me, and I asked him -- what do I need with this schmatta?" I was taken aback, to say the least. She then quickly added, "and now, I wear it every day. Goes with everything!" Can you imagine how her husband must have felt when he gave her this shawl?!!!

Oiy...some people don't know how fortunate they are. How nice for her husband to give her a schmatta...my boyfriend won't even give me a thread!:lecture:

Happy Birthday Millstream!!:drinkup:

Love the Caleche BTW...the best!!:party:

Thank you ladies for the interpretation! We definitely do have "schmattas" in Texas!! I may actually own a few myself! What a weird way to describe H though! I love to learn new words!

When I first read your story, Millstream (thank you for telling it!), it remined me of something but I couldn't put my finger on it. Now, a couple of hours later it hit me: me! When I was almost 18 my now ex-husband gave me a Hermes scarf as a gift and I remember thinking the same: "What am I going to do with this schmatta?? It's for old ladies!!". Imagine. It took me over decade to re-discover Hermes, appreciate it and fall in love with it for real this time.
Shhhsh...I still have that scarf :sneaky:;)
Hey, may be that lady's running a little behind of her husband's taste :P. But she'll get there...in time. Oh, the least, she was nice and friendly:graucho:.

Most of the time I've heard and used the word, it's been in a humorous, self-deprecatory sort of way. Kind of like saying "This old rag!" when someone compliments you on an outfit.

I've heard "schmatta" used in lots of ways, hermesgroupie, some nice and some not so nice. In this instance she intended to denigrate her husband's gift by referring to it as just another thing that she didn't need. When someone wants to put an outfit (and its wearer) down, saying "she wore some schmatta" is a verbal smack. Ah, yiddish is such a rich language.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, razorbackbelle and hlfinn!

Having a DH who ventures into Hermes and comes out with such a treasure is wasted on this woman, isn't it, dear lovehermes? My late DH took such delight in surprising me with Hermes scarves.

Bijouxlady, there are plenty of schmattas in Texas. How funny you are!

Now, Millstream, you could have played this smart and said "You're right! It IS a schmatta! Here's $20, let me unburden you!!!!":P

Ah, Candace, I knew you were kidding!

Right you are, dear hermesgroupie. I was like a deer in headlights, stunned by her remark. BTW, she was in her 50's or 60's, Aminamina, so I can't chalk her remark up to youth.

eliselady, you are tooooooo funny!

That is hilarious! Her response probably would have caught me off-guard, but I'm glad she at least had the good sense to put it to good use! I love Early America, and these shawls are TDF!

Ah, yiddish is such a rich language.

That it is! I bought my friend some yiddish vocab cards as a joke on year for Hanukkah, she loved them and we would read over some of the obscure words and phrases and just laugh and laugh. I wish I would have remembered some of them as they would come in MUCH more handy in certain situations than my current English vocabulary. So much more rich with meaning :tup:

I know...such a waste. Your late DH sounded like such a sweetheart. That's probably because you are such a sweetheart too!!:yes:

Can't speak for myself, lovehermes, but can vouch for him. He was romantic and thoughtful and brought me to Paris and FSH for my first Hermes scarves more than 20 years ago. During that visit to FSH he also helped me select a scarf ring for myself and choose scarves to bring as presents to my mother and my best friend. How sweet is that!