Funny story about my mom and Coach...

OK Bag Lady, that sounds like my mom and I. I got a red mini signature bag off the bay a year or more ago and my mom liked it so much that I gave it to her and she insisted she reimburse me so I got myself another Coach bag. To be honest, I wasn't that into the signature anyways so I didn't mind.

My mom is finally getting into high end bags (like Coach) after so many years of going without. She doesn't mind paying full price, but I will only buy my Coach at the outlet because I am so close to two of them and I can't afford boutique prices.

I'm a bargain hunter at heart and will take my mom shopping with me occasionally hoping she'll see something on the sale racks that interests her. If I buy her clothing, she'll tend to save it for special occasions, but if she buys it for herself she tends to wear it more because she knows what she paid for it. (I really don't like giving gifts with the sale tags on - something I blame her for teaching me.) LOL You know, the funny thing is, if I try to give her a gift of a bag, she'll try to talk me out of it, but if I act like it's for me, she'll do some fast talking. Go figure. I have to say, there's only been one bag I've ever had a tinge of regret in giving her. I bought this gorgeous red Coach bag in 96 that I can't remember the name of but anyway, she always drooled over that bag. My son's first Christmas I was balancing bills, formula and diaper costs, as a single parent with no help from the absentee/donor dad. I really didn't have the extra money for Christmas gifts for parents so I gave my dad a painting I did that he had been hinting for and my mom the red bag that I barely carried. Because of pride, I never did tell her why I gave her the bag. It was from the heart and that's all she needed to know.

When I was a teen, I used to wish my mom would spend money on herself. Kids are happy to see their moms enjoy life.

I agree. I think you respect your parents more if you see them pampering themselves because they believe they deserve it so you naturally think so too. It doesn't mean you have to spend a lot just take care of yourself.

My mom (RIP) is the one that introduced me to Coach as a child - she always carried nice bags and dressed nicely, so I grew up learning to love nicer things. I wish she was still alive, we'd be shopping for Coach, Gucci, and LV together! :love:

TOOOOO FUNNY!!!!!

I HAVE to lie about the prices or I will never hear the end of it. "So much money blah blah", that whole splee. I respond back usually, "oh it was don't worry about it, it wasn't that much. etc. etc. She ADOREs my 2007 Scribble satchel so I lent it to her. She knows that it's expensive but luckily she doesn't know the exact prices of what I have. I just tell her its around 100$.

Last edited:
My mom is exactly the same way. She won't even carry one of my bags; tells me that if I buy her a Coach that she won't carry it, and insists on carrying this hideous black leather monstrosity from Peebles that she's had for over a year. I've tried and tried to explain to her that having an arsenal of bags that you can swap will allow for longer bag life, but she just doesn't get it.

I truly owe my bag addiction to my Aunt Debbie, who instilled the love for bags in me years ago, when she gave me the first of several Longabergers (when they were in their hay day). And in the passing years, she's gotten me a bag from every passing fad... Vera Bradley.... Fossil... a Dooney for my bday two years ago...

Its her unwavering devotion to handbags and handbag accessories that inspires me to be unhealthily obsessed with Coach and Coach accessories. My collection is far larger than hers even. I think the student has surpassed the teacher. *Sniffs

Ok... that was part cheestastic and psychotic... don't know where the rant came from... I'm really not nuts. I promise.

LOL my sister doesn't have any Coach as yet - I think maybe "mommy" should get some before the little one does! :nuts: Hmmm now I am thinking about Xmas for my sister though... :graucho:

My niece is going to be such a girly-girl - it is adorable. She already like shoes and to play with people's jewelry.

Sometimes I wonder myself how I spend 24 bucks on a keyfob too, but they are just too darn cute!
gi67.gif

Dh told me once "how much are those?" I said 28.. he was like :wtf: "you can never EVER give me sh**t about what I buy, you've got to room to talk missy. 28 buck for a keychain?" :rolleyes: