Funny - even the teenagers notice the difference...

Jul 25, 2007
We walked through Macy's today to do (more!) back to school shopping for my daughter, so of course we browsed the Coach counter. We got to the section of new bags and there was a new brown Legacy shoulder flap on display. My daughter immediately went over to it and said "what the heck kind of leather is this?!!" I was proud that she was so observant, yet also annoyed since I just bought that bag in gray!! She just gave me that "um, yuck" face. Oh well, I guess I dont have to worry about eventually sharing that one.

ohhh how sad...yep the kiddies are perceptive...i think coach is having some trouble keeping their level of quality of leather up...they seem to be sherking off their duties at times i must admit....maybe it's the whole new made in china thing...i dunno..i find i have to watch which line i buy from...didn't have to do that before...

I know there's been a lot of discussion about the quality of the Legacy line on tPF....but I noticed today in the store that the leather is also thinner if you stick the inside and outside of the bag in between your fingers. I did try one on today and I thought it looked better on than by itself...

well for one...to make it lighter in weight, because it definitely is compared to the old Legacy leather....and secondly because I'm sure it costs less to make them, unfortunately that's what Coach is all about....don't think they're not making a massive profit...I love 'em just as much as the next gal, but I really wish they've give up their "Made in China" practices...

i wonder why they're doing that...

To make a bigger profit. They are making the bags out of a leather that costs them much less to buy and they are still charging the same price for the bags...do the math. They think we are dumb, and we are if we keep paying the same high price for lower quality bags. I mean hey if they save even $20 (and I'm sure its more) on each bag made times lets say 300K bags ----do the math.

I got very disappointed in Coach since the July floor set come out, i honestly feel that all their actions have one main theme behind them - costing cutting. With my observations, it didn't happen overnight or with this summer's floor sets, it dated back to december last year.
I am not sure if any of us have even mentioned/noticed before but the cheaper materials concern do not just happen with the recent hampton and legacy line. To me, it seems to start late last year when they released the bleecker duffle. When I checked out the bleecker signature duffle in store last year. I sweared I felt that the signature fabric was much thinner/less structure then the fabric they used before. and the leather they used as the shoulder strap is (quite cheap looking) single-layer with not much polishing/finishing on the underside side. However, I still like the wine combo enough that I brought it home.
Immediately after I returned home, i took out the gallery tote that i bought in sept 07 and compared the material. The fabric really does feel lighter and thinner then the gallery tote fabric. Hence, the duffle (and all the newer signature handbag released after that point) looks/feels less structured.
It seems that thinner Cotton Demin material used on the Carly (last year vs this year's multi tonal version) as well.
That's when I got frustrasted and moved on to the leather bags because i think leather is probably the one thing they won't mess up with because good quality durable leather is Coach's main selling point. I guess I am wrong. I am starting to think how naive I was for hoping to see the originally leather on the newer design this year given my earlier observations.

I agree in that Coach is going downhill with the quality of their products (as is the new Legacy line) :tdown:

I will remain on [Coach] strike until quality improves: signature bags must stop fraying, metallic must quit peeling off and prices shall be lowered :smash:

Last edited:
To make a bigger profit. They are making the bags out of a leather that costs them much less to buy and they are still charging the same price for the bags...do the math. They think we are dumb, and we are if we keep paying the same high price for lower quality bags. I mean hey if they save even $20 (and I'm sure its more) on each bag made times lets say 300K bags ----do the math.

I have been thinking this as well, they think they are slick by switching up the leathers and still charging the same for the final product while they pay less for the material and labor :blah:

When I checked out the bleecker signature duffle in store last year. I sweared I felt that the signature fabric was much thinner/less structure then the fabric they used before. and the leather they used as the shoulder strap is (quite cheap looking) single-layer with not much polishing/finishing on the underside side. However, I still like the wine combo enough that I brought it home.
Immediately after I returned home, i took out the gallery tote that i bought in sept 07 and compared the material. The fabric really does feel lighter and thinner then the gallery tote fabric. Hence, the duffle (and all the newer signature handbag released after that point) looks/feels less structured.
It seems that thinner Cotton Demin material used on the Carly (last year vs this year's multi tonal version) as well.

You're probably on to something. I have a brown sig bag from early 2006 (could be late 2005 I forgot) and the fabric is really thick and the leather braiding and straps are thick and sturdy. Even without any reinforced leather at the corners, there is absolutely no fraying. I carried it everywhere and in all weather conditions everyday. That bag has been through hell and back. Yet it still looks like new! I don't even clean it and it's still in excellent condition! This bag is almost 3 years old. The fabric on the sig bags that I see now in the boutiques are not as thick but the bags themselves seem a bit lighter than before. I know my bag is pretty heavy.

You have a very observant daughter. I know if I was a little younger and into Coach, I wouldn't be too pleased about spending my hard earned money on something that feels a little flimsy.

How long have they been making in China? And when did they really start to increase the cost of their bags? Since I haven't been into Coach that long, I don't know the answers to those questions. I wonder what their bags cost back in the earlier days too.

Now don't get me wrong, I still like Coach bags, but it will just be me picking and choosing based on what others say here based on their durability.

I saw the new bags today for the first time IRL. I'm not fond of the leather at all. The black looks plasticy (if thats even a word). And what kills it is they don't even have the legacy lining.