Function vs. Fashion?

Function vs. Fashion, who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nickeywonder

Dec 29, 2015
So I often wonder if my idea of what qualifies as a good bag will change when I get older. Will the idea of fashion get thrown out the window? Does function ultimately win? In that case I don't need to spend $$$ on this super-name brand. So i'm putting it to the group :smile: How much does function ***** (for lack of better word :smile:) fashion? Do you for-see yourself always caring about the brands, the trends? Or in the end, a potato sack on a rope will do? (LOL, never that!)

I don't think fashion has ever dictated my purchases when it comes to bags. Of course there is some amount of fashion influence behind what comes to market and that might get me interested. Case in point: RM Mini MAB. It's taken influence from Balenciaga Papier which has taken inspiration from Celine Nano Luggage. If that specific bag had never seen daylight, the Mini MAB probably wouldn't have been made or at least it wouldn't have gotten the attention of people. Mini MAB Side Zip is one of my go-to bags whenever I need something small, stylish and durable. The Celine Luggage didn't spark my interest until the Nano came out. Which was thanks to the micro bag trend.
Fashion dictates alot of what's in the market and if something's constantly out there and it seems to suit my needs, I may well get interested. As for running after a micro bag or a 2,000€ Bal that looks like an Ikea bag - def not for me!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mariapia
Hmm. Potato sack on a rope.
Maybe. :thinking:
:roflmfao:

Been playing with designer handbags for few years, now.

Own big brands people fling about tpf--
still put bags onto ground, run with on shoulder, drop accidentally, spill stuff over, let dog noses touch.

Prefer higher quality unknowns to paying for names.
Feeling increases with time.
As my own experiences disprove much high-end hype.

Function. And my own sense of style.
Real me, real bags, real life.

But, goodness, it's funny to see some hyperactive monkey slap metal glittery bits onto paper-thin leather.
Then dye everything neon.
And proclaim it newest fashion trend for The Awesome Ones.
:coolio:

There are plenty of bags out there so you don't have to compromise too much. Functionally, I can adjust to a lot of formats. There are just two types I stay away from: 1) bags with small or awkward openings that make it hard to get stuff in and out; and 2) cavernous hobos where everything sinks to the bottom.

I like to find things easily because I don't want to be the lady in the checkout line holding everybody else up. No matter how cute the bag is, people are going to find that annoying.

It's got to be functional. If it isn't it won't be a pleasure to carry no matter how pretty or expensive or in fashion it is.
This.

When I had little children I definitely had to lean more to function as I had more demands on my bags. But, I never carried an "ugly" bag.

Now that I don't have little kids, I can wear less durable bags (for example: lambskin) but I still have to have function or the bag is more of a pain than an asset.

So for me it has to be both - great function in a bag I find beautiful.

Reactions: Pmrbfay
Has to be both for me. I must like the style and the leather. At least one outside pocket or divided compartments so I can find stuff like keys/phone easily. Must be able to be carried on shoulder.
As another poster said, no cavernous hobos where your stuff is all jumbled in the bottom of the bag.

Of course I wouldn't buy a bag if it wasn't functional for me, but fashion is what I notice first and the reason I have more than one bag I use regularly. Before I was into purses I used to just wear a basic canvas tote bag as a purse, and if I only cared about function I would still be doing that because it worked great for my day-to-day needs. But I really love handbags for the look and I enjoy styling them with my outfits. Function is essential, but it's not everything (to me). Fashion makes things fun. :biggrin:

There are plenty of bags out there so you don't have to compromise too much. Functionally, I can adjust to a lot of formats. There are just two types I stay away from: 1) bags with small or awkward openings that make it hard to get stuff in and out; and 2) cavernous hobos where everything sinks to the bottom.

I like to find things easily because I don't want to be the lady in the checkout line holding everybody else up. No matter how cute the bag is, people are going to find that annoying.

I find it annoying when it happens to me.
Sometimes the cutest bags are the biggest PITA when your in the checkout line.

Reactions: 2cello
Hmm. Potato sack on a rope.
Maybe. :thinking:
:roflmfao:

Been playing with designer handbags for few years, now.

Own big brands people fling about tpf--
still put bags onto ground, run with on shoulder, drop accidentally, spill stuff over, let dog noses touch.

Prefer higher quality unknowns to paying for names.
Feeling increases with time.
As my own experiences disprove much high-end hype.

Function. And my own sense of style.
Real me, real bags, real life.

But, goodness, it's funny to see some hyperactive monkey slap metal glittery bits onto paper-thin leather.
Then dye everything neon.
And proclaim it newest fashion trend for The Awesome Ones.
:coolio:

I think I have that neon bag. Lol.

I think fashion and function go hand-in-hand. A bag that isn't working well because it is too small, hard to get into, uncomfortable to carry etc. looks silly IMO, just like a 4-inch pair of stilettos does when the wearer looks like she is going to fall over. No matter how beautiful the bag (or other "fashion" item), it has to work or it will be a fashion fail in real life.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
I think fashion and function go hand-in-hand. A bag that isn't working well because it is too small, hard to get into, uncomfortable to carry etc. looks silly IMO, just like a 4-inch pair of stilettos does when the wearer looks like she is going to fall over. No matter how beautiful the bag (or other "fashion" item), it has to work or it will be a fashion fail in real life.

Best assessment ever.