full insurance...really!

SCL

Dec 23, 2005
recently mailed domestic package via USPS express mail. fully insured package. package officially "lost". lesson learned: sellers should fully insure packages. period. it is tempting to do others a "favor"...particularly when shipping internationally...but it is a seller's risk. i suppose the only exception may be when being paid by money order or wire transfer? when payment is via paypal, i believe the "risk" is fully on the seller. again, something to consider...

I stick to my ebay rules....cus life is too short...

1. I always pay for insurance (as seller)!
2. I do not deal with International selling & buying!!
3. Enjoy & have fun selling / buying on ebay!!!

Why does it seem that Express mail packages always go missing? I send everything via priority mail with signature confirmation and knock wood, have never had a problem with a lost package. Same with Parcel Post. No issues.

I learned this the hard way. An international flat rate envelope got lost, flat rate tracking number is pretty much for show and doesn't confirm delivery. So I had no way to know if I was being scammed or not.
After that I started to insure everything. I'm not a business, I can't afford to lose an item plus whatever the buyer paid. Lesson learned.

I stick to my ebay rules....cus life is too short...

1. I always pay for insurance (as seller)

A while back eBay instituted a rule that you cannot ask buyers to pay for insurance, the cost must be borne by the seller. The seller is responsible for getting the item to the buyer, and insurance is a seller protection. I still laugh, when I see auctions requiring the buyer to pay for insurance. If you want the buyer to bear the cost, you have to build it into the asking price.

^exactly. then they say that its not their responsibility after they ship it (if its lost, etc.). i always assume that some day they'll find out the hard way that yes, it actually is your responsibility.

^exactly. then they say that its not their responsibility after they ship it (if its lost, etc.). i always assume that some day they'll find out the hard way that yes, it actually is your responsibility.

I wonder if they already know that and, like threatening to leave the buyer negative feedback, these statements are aimed at newbie buyers who don't know better?

I wonder if they already know that and, like threatening to leave the buyer negative feedback, these statements are aimed at newbie buyers who don't know better?

Yup, and it's probably THOSE types of sellers that got eBay to make it so sellers can't even leave a buyer negative feedback at all. Their threats ruined it for the rest of us!

I recently listed an item on *bay. When using the Shipping Wizzard, this message came up at the end:

"Should you insure your shipment?

Depending on the item value, you may want to insure your shipment. Shipping insurance protects you as a seller if your item is lost or damaged during shipping.

You can fold the cost of shipping insurance into the item price; a flat shipping rate; or, if you use calculated shipping, by adding it as the handling cost. You can purchase shipping insurance from your shipping carrier.

Tips:
Insurance is based on the item's estimated final value. View the insurance rate tables for UPS and USPS, and add the amount to your item price, shipping rate, or the handling cost back on the main page.

UPS provides free loss/damage protection for items with a declared value up to $100 for sellers.

Package your item carefully. If your item is damaged due to poor packaging, the shipping carrier may not pay an insurance claim."

So, I guess you can add insurance charge to "handling fee". I didn't think we were allowed to do that.

I recently listed an item on *bay. When using the Shipping Wizzard, this message came up at the end:

"Should you insure your shipment?

Depending on the item value, you may want to insure your shipment. Shipping insurance protects you as a seller if your item is lost or damaged during shipping.

You can fold the cost of shipping insurance into the item price; a flat shipping rate; or, if you use calculated shipping, by adding it as the handling cost. You can purchase shipping insurance from your shipping carrier.

Tips:
Insurance is based on the item's estimated final value. View the insurance rate tables for UPS and USPS, and add the amount to your item price, shipping rate, or the handling cost back on the main page.

UPS provides free loss/damage protection for items with a declared value up to $100 for sellers.

Package your item carefully. If your item is damaged due to poor packaging, the shipping carrier may not pay an insurance claim."

So, I guess you can add insurance charge to "handling fee". I didn't think we were allowed to do that.

Just add signature confirmation and insurance in your total shipping cost, and state that in the item description.