Frustrated; resale value

Becca4277

www.petfinder.com
O.G.
Jan 3, 2006
I love Coach but am frustrated with how low the resale value is. I have a strict system of 1 purse in, one purse out. So I cannot buy a new bag until I sell an old one. Do you think it is because Coach releases so many styles every year? Their "it" bag changes so frequently. Nothing at all wrong with this, but stinks for someone that needs to sell bags to purchase new ones.

I love Coach but am frustrated with how low the resale value is. I have a strict system of 1 purse in, one purse out. So I cannot buy a new bag until I sell an old one. Do you think it is because Coach releases so many styles every year? Their "it" bag changes so frequently. Nothing at all wrong with this, but stinks for someone that needs to sell bags to purchase new ones.

I don't think it's just Coach related.

I think it's because of sales and discounts. If you want a certain Coach marked down, just wait. Macys frequently has 25 & 25, like yesterday and today. Any brand that has discounted items will not have great resale value.

I think it is because there is just SO MUCH. If you search "Coach" on Ebay you will get over 150,000 items. I look at Ebay frequently and it is shocking to see how low the items sell for.

I agree that it's all brands except for some high end ones and even those you can lose money on. I also think it's a sign of the times with the bad economy, people are more reluctant to part with thier money.

I agree that it's all brands except for some high end ones and even those you can lose money on. I also think it's a sign of the times with the bad economy, people are more reluctant to part with thier money.

I sell my old bags as well and I've noticed that too. It takes much longer to sell and people want a screaming bargain and low ball offer all the time. Great pictures and detailed descriptions really help though.

And, like another poster pointed out, 150,000 Coach items on ebay is a lot of items. There is tons of it out there and you can pick up deletes brand new at an outlet for 50% off FP so that's also driving the market.

I sell my old bags as well and I've noticed that too. It takes much longer to sell and people want a screaming bargain and low ball offer all the time. Great pictures and detailed descriptions really help though.

And, like another poster pointed out, 150,000 Coach items on ebay is a lot of items. There is tons of it out there and you can pick up deletes brand new at an outlet for 50% off FP so that's also driving the market.

The bad economy is driving the market.

The only ones making money are resellers. Buy an outlet delete for $100 marked down from $328 or whatever, put it on eBay for $200, sell it NWT to someone with no outlet access or savvy. Boom, profit.

I agree some brands like LV have had the same styles for years or decades and therefore retain value. The higher brands also seem to have price increases twice a year on the SAME bags to keep themselves on top its crazy ! Coach tends to be more of a contemporary brand and "more affordable" apparently according to the fashion world. Plus like others mentioned the new styles and lines change everyday! older styles do not really retain value like they should plus the outlets and dept stores seem to have sales so often that i don't know anyone who buys coach at retail loved coach for almost 8 years now and can't remember the last time i payed full price.

The only ones making money are resellers. Buy an outlet delete for $100 marked down from $328 or whatever, put it on eBay for $200, sell it NWT to someone with no outlet access or savvy. Boom, profit.
I don't think they are making that much money and they are taking a big risk. There are a lot of scammers and the fees are high. Plus the resellers can't mark things up very much unless they are selling something that no one else has since there are so many other resellers doing the same thing. I've seen new things sell on ebay for less than I paid at the outlet.

I agree that its a combination of the availability, the current down market and the fact that so many bags are found at the outlet. I've sold some Coach bags in EXCELLENT like new condition in the past (too heavy, some other issue) and only received a portion back of what I paid. Still, that's a risk we take so I try to be careful about what I buy. On the plus side, it's a great time for Coach lovers to buy some gorgeous bags at a great price. I'd say it's a buyers market right now, except for some special, limited or highly coveted hard-to-find styles.

I only own two Coach bags now, and while I love what the brand is doing right now, I'm very picky about what I buy. Of course, I wasn't always that way. The outlet can be very appealing...and addicting.

Please don't take this the wrong way but Coach products are NOT an investment. Want an investment, buy a Birkin. Supply and demand will dictate resale price. There is a pretty decent resale market for rare, retired and/or limited editions but even then, a bag is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Please don't take this the wrong way but Coach products are NOT an investment. Want an investment, buy a Birkin. Supply and demand will dictate resale price. There is a pretty decent resale market for rare, retired and/or limited editions but even then, a bag is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I absolutely agree; to me an investment would be a bag that you can sell more than what you paid. I am just talking about getting a tiny fraction back. I never had problems with the bigger brands (Balenciaga, LV) but as another poster said, it is a buyers market and people do low ball. I just need to be more selective with my choices and drop the attitude of "if I do not like it, I can just sell it". :smile: