Frugal Habits

Living well is my poison, so tend to not go overboard w/ frugality.
Would walk the two miles not to save on taxi but for the exercise.

:ghi5:ITA!!!:P

I think there should be a balance. There is no point lowering your standards of living in order to afford certain things (H or not). There was an old thread in handbags & purses forum called "would you starve to afford your favorite bag?" or something in those lines. I keep thinking what is the point of sacrificing social outings, travel, food, or other things from your life just to afford a bag (or several), why one would do this? What is the point of owning luxury bags if you have nowhere to take them?

Personally I wouldn't sacrifice my standards of living just to own a certain brand of bag. This is why I don't own a vast collection of bags anyway. I have the bags that match my everyday life, they get plenty of use and I don't feel guilty of owning them. Plus my life is a happy one and I'm grateful for this.

Saying that I must also mention I 'm not into very expensive clothing. I used to buy high end brand clothing when I was working, and when I stopped working I lost a lot of weight and none of my clothes fit my body or new lifestyle. I gave everything away and I realized I should only buy basic good quality clothing that fit me well but not extremely expensive because there is always a chance my body will change. Again it is all about balance, I don't do things outside my lifestyle.

Good point!!:tup:

I don't see in long term value in buying expensive clothes. I buy from Nordstrom Rack and Target. I love getting a good bargain on clothes.

I do not skimp on handbags and shoes. I also have moved on to buying nice watches and jewelry. I buy classic pieces that will not go out of style. The only trendy things I buy are cheap.

Interesting thread!!! Sorry this is soooo long...

My love for handbags started when I bought myself a coach bag at the age of 17. The euphoric feeling of buying a well made "designer" bag and never having to worry if I looked "fat" was an instant hook for me. This love then graduated to louis vuitton while in grad school (I sold of my entire coach collection and was able to purchase a few LV's). Upon graduation I was ready to indulge in the "holy grail" of handbags -- Hermes.

I went thru a phase during my conversion from coach to LV ( I'm brand loyal once I carried LV it all had to be LV- my brain has a short circuit or something I swear) were I thought I needed to dress a certain way in order to carry the LV brand. Thus, I purchased designer shoes, clothes from Neimans and Saks etc. It was like that saying "the clothes/bag wore her." I felt lost in my sense of style and was NEVER comfortable. I needed to figure out what MY style was.

My frugral habits really presented when I regained my own sense of style and decided to jump down the orange slide. I have come full circle and realized my style is "classic causal elegance." I used to be very loyal to Jcrew, however due to recent styling and prices, I have looked elsewhere. I found Lands' end about 1.5 yrs ago and have found there clothing to be of good quality (everything is guaranteed NO MATTER WHAT) and pretty cheap compared to what I used to spend. I also found that there is no point for me to wear designer shoes as I feel most comfortable in...gasp...dasko clogs or converse jack purcells! I have splurged on a pair of kelly jumping boots that I do love to wear (I don't even own a pair of heels). I always have on a cashmere gm and a birkin. My jewelry collection is also for minimal. I have found that my style is "classic casual elegance" and staying true to that keeps my bank account and my financial guru husband VERY happy.

I think it is very easy to be absorbed into the ideas of having "the best of" or "designer" everything. I got swept into that world and lost myself. For me, "the best of" and "designer" are all relative and need to be put into your prospective. Once you do this you will always be frugal with your fashions.

I like $$$ accessories and some clothes, but aside from H and NM, my fav store is Target too.

I use all my makeup and products until the very last drop and I hoard samples! :shame:

I'm a sample hoarder too. I cannot buy any cosmetics, etc unless there is some free sample/bonus included. Then I go drop $$$ on bags and shoes. glad to see I'm not the only one! Oh - and I hate to pay for shipping when shopping online.

Wonderful thread I only spend money on accessories bags shoes and other little things but I'm sooooooo much of a name brand spender on clothes and shoes and bags unless it's something I know I will not wear forever , usually not the case with me, but I enjoy decorating with target and Ikea home is always full of friends and family so I'm so not into expensive home interiors also I always buy movies at blockbuster when they sell the used rental Copy , and I have to say that I'm always looking for bargains at stores like forever 21 or H-M thing is if I'm going to buy from the mass produced market it better be low priced , but I do confess my weakness bags furs and anything that's highly embroided or embellished or well tailored and cut and this is usually found at designer stores sooooooo .love the thread BTW wonderful idea.

Last edited:
I try to find bargains everywhere. I only pay full price on handbags and even there I try to find a bargain. Just bought a jumbo chanel that I asked for the SA to dig up one from 2008 so I could get a better price. For shoes I got to NM Last Call and clearance bins. Nails I get them done once a month. Facials I do them at home. I shop at TJ Maxx alot. I rarely eat out. I drive very little to save on gas.

i raid my fashionista mother's closet from time to time (every weekend im there) instead of buyng something new.

Im waiting for a pair of $499 boots to go on sale before buying them so i can instead put that money towards a CDC lol

I would pay for nice jewelry(i have allergies to certain metals and can't wear costume stuff). Also shoes, handbags and scarves. I'd rather buy one nice handbag/scarf than 20 cheap ones. Although one of the scarfs i get compliments on every time i wear it, cost $8 at Forever21.

Since this thread was unearthed from the depths, i shall try to keep it going.

I'm super stingy except when it comes to having to get the best.

That extends to watches, bags and shoes only.

My watch collection has been put on hold pending getting another Birkin for my gal, i have all the bags i need for now, and i think bad quality shoes are more 'expensive' in the long run.

Other than that, we eat fast food, take public transport, never ever take taxis (yes, even with birkin), refuse to buy a car, rent dvds instead of going to the movies, stay home most days and wear bargain clothes.

Friends of hers are confused by our lifestyle but i just explain that i only buy what has value.