From stay-at-home mom to working mom

thanks to everyone for your replies.. and thank you pursemama.. I heard you have a very cute son as well. :yes:
I found out today that the place I want to send my daughter to has a half day program as well. which is only Mon, wed, and Fri from 8-1. I think thats good to start out. As of right now, this place has a long long waiting list, so in a way thats good. kind of delays the whole work issue for me. I'll definetly start out part time. And I know half the time I'll be thinking of my baby. LOL

I agree with all of you that kids grow up way to fast! In a matter of monthes I feel as if my daughter has left her babyhood behind and changed into a full fledged toddler. Every time I see babies under one, it makes me wanna have another one. :shame:

Jill said:
this is such a personal decision..its up to how YOU feel and how you raise your children!
I tried going back to work..fell in love with an amazing job..totally unrelated to what I went to college for..and I ended up quiting after 7 months because I was in NANNY HELL!
My kids are 10 and 16..I am still at home..and sometimes I regret not being around grownups as much but ITS SO WORTH IT! My kids..I feel..are so much better off with me around ..BUT its so individual...So its up to you and your situation! Good luck!

I can so relate to the nanny hell!:amazed: :amazed: :amazed: :amazed: I worked for a design house in London at the time, had to quit, and moved into a new house where I could work from a studio in the house and my clients never entered our living quarters. It worked so well. I had a nanny taking care of the kids, running them to day care, music lessons, and to the park, but I was right there if there were any problems and could adjust to work around them. But, if you profession doesn't allow you to be so flexible or work for yourself, it is definitely not the same.

Yes, one thing I have learned through mothering (my daughter is hitting the big EIGHTEEN tomorrow, sigh), you, and only you, have the only answers. The first place we all want to go when we have a decision is to the others, who have been through it, and it is good to get advice, but, sometimes that advice can make you feel obligated, or guilty if it doesn't feel right to you. The solution I found was one no one else would have thought of. All of the decisions you make, about this and everything else, should come from you.

I think it is never as black and white as it seems. Look inside your heart, take the good advice, yes, but the only advice I would give you is that after you hear all of the good advice, spend some time alone, breathe, and just listen to that still small voice inside of you, the one in all of us which is forever getting drowned out by the good advice we seek from others! Trust yourself to make the right decision. Only you know all of the personal details. You will know if you are doing the right thing if you feel peace in your heart. Just don't guilt yourself either way. Do what is right for you and your children.

What a lucky child to have such a caring mommy:yes:

I sent my son to daycare/pre-school at 2 1/2, starting out with M,W,F 9-12. If I'd been smart I would have started it on his 2nd birthday. I was starting to lose it being with him 24/7 and he has never been able to take naps while he's around me. He learned to nap well at school.

However, the first month was hard on him. He didn't like being away from home and didn't know how to act with other kids. He cried everytime I left.

Anyway, due to elder family considerations, I ended up ramping that 9 hours a week to 35 hours a week over the course of the next nine months. Now he's in full-time pre-school and couldn't be happier or more accomplished. He has lots of friends and lots of things to talk about every day.

coco-nut said:
I sent my son to daycare/pre-school at 2 1/2, starting out with M,W,F 9-12. If I'd been smart I would have started it on his 2nd birthday. I was starting to lose it being with him 24/7 and he has never been able to take naps while he's around me. He learned to nap well at school.

However, the first month was hard on him. He didn't like being away from home and didn't know how to act with other kids. He cried everytime I left.

Anyway, due to elder family considerations, I ended up ramping that 9 hours a week to 35 hours a week over the course of the next nine months. Now he's in full-time pre-school and couldn't be happier or more accomplished. He has lots of friends and lots of things to talk about every day.

I hope my situation works out just like you. My daughter does not take naps either and gets all fussy by the evening. drives me crazy..

I agree with most that this is a personal decision. I don't think one needs to feel bad about sending your child to preschool/ daycare. I sent both of mine at 8 weeks. It was completely out of necessity and I don't regret it. Sure I would have liked to have spent a little more time at home with them but I have enjoyed their childhoods nonetheless. Instead of just Mommy and me memories, my kids have had friends, teachers and even other parents, whom they have gotten to know. As a result my two boys are very social, well mannered and well spoken boys (notice I left out the well-behaved part! ;) )

Either way Kylie will be fine :flowers: