From desinger bags to regular bags

fantastic_3

Feb 10, 2007
I used to only buy desinger bags like LV, Gucci, Balenciaga. Recently I sold off many of them and started buying regular good quality leather handbags instead. Has anyone gone thru this?

I guess I just realized that I can probably buy 5-10 regular or lower end designer bags instead of buying one only for that price.

I have bags from both sides of the fence! There are a LOT of less expensive handbags that have nicer designs than some of the pricier ones. I love my Chanel bags but get just as great of a "kick" wearing my Lockheart, LAMB or Botkier bags. Each are unique and have their own style and purpose (i.e., not wearing lambskin Chanel on a rainy day!)

I'm going the opposite direction, but probably will never get a really high end priced bag. I just can't reconcile it on our budget. But I will be getting probably six total of the IGNES, Coach, Linea Pelle, and/or Hayden-Harnett; all of these are stunning designers, but the prices are under 500. I tend to be a 100$ girl....and am seeking all of the above in that price range.

Yup, I've had Balenciaga and Pradas, and now I've sold all the $1000+ bags and have been looking more at MBMJ, BE, etc....even though people keep saying how the leather and quality is so much better in these premium brands, I've found the best bags in feel and construction are usually the ones in the $300-600 range!

....even though people keep saying how the leather and quality is so much better in these premium brands, I've found the best bags in feel and construction are usually the ones in the $300-600 range!

Really? That's good to know. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I want good quality and lovely, and I'm glad to know I'm getting both...I wouldn't really know as I can't compare higher end.

I've been starting to think in that direction. It used to be that for me Fossil was an expensive bag. Then I discovered 'designer' bags and for all they've cost me they haven't brought me any more happiness nor have they been any more useful then those I paid around a hundred bucks for.

Ignes has been a great find though, very happy to have discovered this brand. Having a bag custom made was such a fun experience and the price point was excellent for the quality bag received.

Linda

I am going in that direction as well. Sometimes I have bags, sitting in my closet in their dust bags and I barely even look at them. It is very sad. Of course that does not mean I will not keep my staples.

My most recent bag purchase is a great MBMJ metallic satchel. It was marked down to under 200 euros. I heard it's a limited edition that was also marked down in Harrod's of London (although mine was purchased in Ireland). This is the sort of deal I love - a great designer at an ordinary/regular price. I guess I'm saying that I love to find great deals on designer/luxury labels, so that really I'm paying no more than I would at a High Street store. I like the best of both worlds!

I have very expensive ($1200) , moderate, and very inexpensive bags. (less than $60) Truly, I do not see a difference in quality between the moderate ($300-600) and the more expensive bags. What you're paying for is the name.

Yes I have my high end but I have realised some high street shops are doing some great ones too. I bought a big snakeskin look bag in Miss Selfridge for 20 pounds this week. I love it and it wont break my heart if it gets dirty.

I think that I came to realize that I don't really enjoy carrying my $1,000++ bags because I feel like I have to baby all the time and too afraid to do anything ito get it dirty or damaged.

I have some gorgeous leather bags even less than 100.00 and love them to death and put them in more use.

My husband mocks me all the time because I have a Limited Edition LV Cherry Blossom wallet and when I use it, it is kept inside a dustbag in my purse.

I'm glad that I finally got over the expensiver designer bag stage in my life. There are a few that I will still keep but I guess my pocket will be a bit fuller.

Yes I have my high end but I have realised some high street shops are doing some great ones too. I bought a big snakeskin look bag in Miss Selfridge for 20 pounds this week. I love it and it wont break my heart if it gets dirty.

Even though my bags are not expensive, I noticed from jumping to a £50/$100 bag from a £10/$20 bag that I was trying to shield my bag from brushing up against walls, hedges and learner drivers of supermarket trolleys lol. I am more inclined to hold my bag rather than rest on a counter for fear of getting dirty and I am forever placing my bag down on a pedestal instead of slinging it on the floor when I come in before running to the toilet. I wonder how bad I would become with a high end designer bag lol!

I recently sold a LV and "stepped down" to RM, if you can call it that. I agree that with more expensive bags, I feel like I need to baby them and I sometimes feel like people think I'm "hoity toity" when I carry obviously designer bags. I prefer moderate range (about $500 give or take) bags from slightly more obscure designers.