Frizz/Flyaway be gone!

djcpeace

O.G.
Jul 22, 2008
So basically, I live in 2 locations because I'm still in university (at home, and off-campus)

When I'm at home, my hair seems to be fine, I use Shampoo & Conditioner (Biosilk and Nexxus), leave-in product, blow-dry and straighten. The result is soft and shiny hair.

But when I go back to my university home, I follow the same routine (use different products but still good quality ones, like Joico Moisture recovery), but after I blow dry and straighten, my hair feels incredibly light and prone to frizz and flyaway, I can't seem to comb it down.

I've tried some shine/anti-frizz sprays like John Frieda Shine spray or got2b dazzling, but it only works temporarily. I've also tried switching blow dryers and straighteners, but it really makes no difference

I have a feeling it might be the water thats making all the difference.

But since I have no control over that, I was wondering if you guys have any "heavy duty" shampoos or conditioners that add some weight, or perhaps tame the flyaways. My hair is naturally curly and thick, so I have to wash and straighten every day.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

I am the same way. I could spend hours doing my hair (blow drying and straightening), but once I step out into Florida weather, poof! I've yet to find anything that tames it other than a massive amount of Garnier hair spray. But with that amount of product in my hair I end up looking like Mr. Freeze. :shocked:

What kind of water (hard vs. soft) are you using at both places? This might be part of the issue...hmmmmm....

And for thick, wavy hair with frizz issues, I highly recommend MoroccanOil products. I have the same type of hair and the shampoo/conditioner (and the styling cream and hair oil) have really helped in the humidity. And they smell terrific, without plastering your hair to your head. There's a great thread on these products:

http://forum.purseblog.com/showthread.php?t=383757&referrerid=127932

HTH! :smile:

I have extremely thick, semi-curly, semi-wavy hair and I use Redken "Ringlet 07 Curl Perfector" to take out some of the frizz. You use it like a leave-in conditioner after you shampoo your hair. I think it works fairly well on my extremely difficult hair.

eta-- OOPS, just read that you straighten your hair everyday. On days I straighten my hair I use Paul Mitchell Staight Works to cut down on the frizz and flyaways. I think it works pretty well, even in the humidity.

I have totally frizzy hair, but you would never know it! I've been using Aveda Anti-Humectant pomade since high school, and there is nothing else like it, and I have tried everything. You just apply a tiny bit to dry hair, and it keeps frizz and flyaway hair in place all day. I'm not kidding. I absolutely swear by this stuff!!! If they ever stop making it, I will drive up to Minneapolis and camp out in front of the Aveda headquarters until I get my way!!:smile:

http://www.aveda.com/templates/products2/spp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY14954&PRODUCT_ID=PROD5817

I received a sample of Frizz from Sephora and love it. Use a little and leave on and keeps my hair soft and shiny and I am in the hell that is South Texas. I was having issues with my hair since it's been so hot and humid and this stuff works great.

Biosilk-silk therapy. It is a serum, containing silicone. Beauty experts say to ALWAYS use this B4 blow drying or straightening bc the silicone puts a protectant barrier between your hair and the heat. I have very out of control hair but this stuff puts it right in check and it is the same stuff every salon I have ever gone too uses before the style me up.

I swear by Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum. You use just one pump, which is the tiniest bit, and then rub your hands together and just run your hands through your hair. I used to have awful frizz and flyaways but now my hair is just nice and smooth with no product buildup.

I actually do have the Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum and BioSilk Silk Therapy, but they're in my home-home, I think I'll give that a shot first because I remember they're more thick than the Redken All Soft leave-in that I'm currently using

And I'm pretty sure both homes use hard-water, and yea-yea I know that soft water is better for your hair, but fortunate and unfortunately I don't pay the water bill heh!

Haven't heard of Frizz though, so I'll probably check it out! and I've heard miracle stories with people who use Aveda so maybe that'll work too

Why don't you try morrocan oil, I've been to the Morrocan oil thread, everyone there have been raving on how great the product works on their hair especially for curly and thick hair and you can easily get it from amazon.

I have hard water at my college apartment and I hate it. Its murder on skin, I get sooo dry. I use salon shampoo to combat the crappy water. I miss the soft water I have at home with my parents.