Frivole pave earrings?

Phoenix123

Apr 6, 2012
I've been thinking about these forever and am considering purchasing them. However, I have a few concerns and questions:

1) Are these a classic staple? Meaning can I grow into them and wear them into my older age? I'm in my forties and I just don't want them to look silly or too girly when I get older. ( I'd think the Vintage Alhambra would be much more of a classic, but alas I tried them on and they hang too low below my earlobes they look silly, so that's out!). I'd say this is my biggest concern - I don't want to pay $$$$$ for them, only to leave them in the drawer after a few years.

2) Are they comfy to wear? I am a huge VCA fan but hate that VCA earring posts are far too short! And I don't like the clips either. And the posts are positioned too low! Lol, that's a fairly long list of dislikes!! I tried the earrings on at a local boutique and was able to put them on when the posts are in their "regular" position. However, when they moved the posts (to try and accommodate my lower piercings), I just couldn't put them!! The combination of the shorter posts and the clips prevented me from being able to put them onto my ears - I gave up after fidgeting for some 5-10 mins! lol . I also read that some owners of Frivoles have reported some pain when wearing them!! Yikes!! My plan is to wear them all day long; and in fact, I tend to prefer studs for this reason - sometimes I forget I have them on.

And oh, can the clips be removed? Has anyone done this and do your earrings stay put on your ears without the clips (my plan is to put on non-VCA jumbo backings, to keep them from drooping).

Oh oh, also, are the earrings very heavy? As mentioned, I like studs: bc they're super light and super comfy to wear. I'm concerned the weight of the Frivoles would bother me.

3) Which gold do I go for? I love that VCA has recently introduced the pave version in YG; but I still can't decide which I love better. I wear a lot of WG and Pt, but have recently embraced yellow gold and rose gold for that matter (I started to get a tan and YG/ RG looks amazing on tanned skin!). FYI, I also have the RG Perlee clover bracelet and think that the YG pave earrings would go very well with that. However, the YG pave Frivoles seem a lot more subtle than the WG pave version. Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:
I've been thinking about these forever and am considering purchasing them. However, I have a few concerns and questions:

1) Are these a classic staple? Meaning can I grow into them and wear them into my older age? I'm in my forties and I just don't want them to look silly or too girly when I get older. ( I'd think the Vintage Alhambra would be much more of a classic, but alas I tried them on and they hang too low below my earlobes they look silly, so that's out!). I'd say this is my biggest concern - I don't want to pay $$$$$ for them, only to leave them in the drawer after a few years.

2) Are they comfy to wear? I am a huge VCA fan but hate that VCA earring posts are far too short! And I don't like the clips either. And the posts are positioned too low! Lol, that's a fairly long list of dislikes!! I tried the earrings on at a local boutique and was able to put them on when the posts are in their "regular" position. However, when they moved the posts (to try and accommodate my lower piercings), I just couldn't put them!! The combination of the shorter posts and the clips prevented me from being able to put them onto my ears - I gave up after fidgeting for some 5-10 mins! lol . I also read that some owners of Frivoles have reported some pain when wearing them!! Yikes!! My plan is to wear them all day long; and in fact, I tend to prefer studs for this reason - sometimes I forget I have them on.

And oh, can the clips be removed? Has anyone done this and do your earrings stay put on your ears without the clips (my plan is to put on non-VCA jumbo backings, to keep them from drooping).

Oh oh, also, are the earrings very heavy? As mentioned, I like studs: bc they're super light and super comfy to wear. I'm concerned the weight of the Frivoles would bother me.

3) Which gold do I go for? I love that VCA has recently introduced the pave version in YG; but I still can't decide which I love better. I wear a lot of WG and Pt, but have recently embraced yellow gold and rose gold for that matter (I started to get a tan and YG/ RG looks amazing on tanned skin!). FYI, I also have the RG Perlee clover bracelet and think that the YG pave earrings would go very well with that. However, the YG pave Frivoles seem a lot more subtle than the WG pave version. Has anyone else noticed this?

For question #1, I also did ask myself this question but I think the pave version would be more classic than say the plain yg version in my opinion. Anything pave would be a classic and able to withstand the test of time. Plus I feel the design is quite evergreen, should be able to wear well in your old age.

For question #2, they are comfy to wear. I don't feel they are heavy and my earlobes are on the thin side. Based on what u have described, I have a feeling that you have thicker earlobes? Since u mentioned the short posts and the way the posts are being repositioned didn't fit u that well.

FYI, the posts can be lengthened, I have done so for all my earclips. I always grumble to VCA, why can't they just make longer posts as default anyway?

For question #3, it depends on what u want to wear the pave frivole earclips for? Formal or daily? Somehow I find the wg pave frivole earclips able to work for both types of occasions. No regrets getting them. Plus I think they will complement your lotus btf ring.

Reactions: pazt and Phoenix123
For question #1, I also did ask myself this question but I think the pave version would be more classic than say the plain yg version in my opinion. Anything pave would be a classic and able to withstand the test of time. Plus I feel the design is quite evergreen, should be able to wear well in your old age.

For question #2, they are comfy to wear. I don't feel they are heavy and my earlobes are on the thin side. Based on what u have described, I have a feeling that you have thicker earlobes? Since u mentioned the short posts and the way the posts are being repositioned didn't fit u that well.

FYI, the posts can be lengthened, I have done so for all my earclips. I always grumble to VCA, why can't they just make longer posts as default anyway?

For question #3, it depends on what u want to wear the pave frivole earclips for? Formal or daily? Somehow I find the wg pave frivole earclips able to work for both types of occasions. No regrets getting them. Plus I think they will complement your lotus btf ring.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I'm glad you think the design is evergreen. I'm just worried I'd look silly wearing them when I'm in my 50's, 60's, 70's...lol .Yeees, my earlobes are quite thick. I dislike VCA posts, they're always so short! Sooo weird!! haha. I'd def have to have them lengthened. I'd want them for both (I currently wear my studs daily, for running around in and also to formal occasions etc).

Happy to receive your input. I was also a bit concerned abt them clashing with my Lotus btf ring, but I don't like the Lotus earrings as much.

Hi Pheonix. I felt the same way as you, and when I started collecting VCA, I want against the frivole because I found them too 'young'. I purchased the pave lotus instead, but I have no regrets as I do see them a lot on the red carpet and I think there is a great level of sophistication. I also like the symbolism of the lotus flower.

Recently however I fell in LOVE with the frivole earring altogether. I am also in my 40s and I do feel I can grow with these earrings. I agree they are evergreen. I no longer consider them too young at all!

As to your questions:
I find the ear posts too short as well, and I have all my posts lengthened free of charge by VCA. I tell them the purchase is conditional on them changing the posts and they have always obliged.

VCA can adjust the omega clip to make it more comfortable.

I hope some ladies here can chime in - I do believe they can remove the omega clip but they frown upon it, but I will wait for someone with more experience to chime in.

Hope this helps!!

Reactions: Phoenix123
I tried on the pave frivole and asked if they could/would remove the omega clip and was told that the earrings need it or they would flop over...
I envy you all who have thick lobes. Mine are thin and always were so it's not easy to find earrings that are beautiful but not heavy.

I tried on the pave frivole and asked if they could/would remove the omega clip and was told that the earrings need it or they would flop over...
I envy you all who have thick lobes. Mine are thin and always were so it's not easy to find earrings that are beautiful but not heavy.
I totally feel your pain.
Mine are also very small and thin. I can only wear my VCA earrings like these with a support such as lobe wonder but it's very worth the trouble.
While I've not tried this (and I'm afraid of needles) I've heard that restalyne or juvaderm can be injected near the pierced areas for added support. :shocked:

Hi phoenix123,

I bought my pave frivole earrings a few years ago, in my late 30's. I am now in my early forties and still love these earrings. 3 of the most worn VCA earrings for me are the pave frivoles, the 3 flower socrates and the vintage alhambra MOP in GHW. I think they are classic and very easy to wear, especially for our age (a bit of bling these days doesn't feel too much for daily wear). The frivoles are similar in size to the VA ones but more 3D so I feel they sparkle a bit livelier.

I always have the boutique adjust my earrings for me when I first buy them and after the adjustment they feel perfectly comfortable. I sometimes even forget I have them on!

I personally prefer WG with diamonds because I feel it complements the diamonds to make the piece appear brighter (if that makes sense). It makes the setting less obvious and everything seems to blend in as one whereas with YG, the contrast makes the setting more visible. HTH!

Hi phoenix123,

I bought my pave frivole earrings a few years ago, in my late 30's. I am now in my early forties and still love these earrings. 3 of the most worn VCA earrings for me are the pave frivoles, the 3 flower socrates and the vintage alhambra MOP in GHW. I think they are classic and very easy to wear, especially for our age (a bit of bling these days doesn't feel too much for daily wear). The frivoles are similar in size to the VA ones but more 3D so I feel they sparkle a bit livelier.

I always have the boutique adjust my earrings for me when I first buy them and after the adjustment they feel perfectly comfortable. I sometimes even forget I have them on!

I personally prefer WG with diamonds because I feel it complements the diamonds to make the piece appear brighter (if that makes sense). It makes the setting less obvious and everything seems to blend in as one whereas with YG, the contrast makes the setting more visible. HTH!
Your assessment of the wg vs yg pave is spot on.
Do you have any photos of the Socrate earrings and do you reserve these for special occasions?
I absolutely love them.

Hi Pheonix. I felt the same way as you, and when I started collecting VCA, I want against the frivole because I found them too 'young'. I purchased the pave lotus instead, but I have no regrets as I do see them a lot on the red carpet and I think there is a great level of sophistication. I also like the symbolism of the lotus flower.

Recently however I fell in LOVE with the frivole earring altogether. I am also in my 40s and I do feel I can grow with these earrings. I agree they are evergreen. I no longer consider them too young at all!

As to your questions:
I find the ear posts too short as well, and I have all my posts lengthened free of charge by VCA. I tell them the purchase is conditional on them changing the posts and they have always obliged.

VCA can adjust the omega clip to make it more comfortable.

I hope some ladies here can chime in - I do believe they can remove the omega clip but they frown upon it, but I will wait for someone with more experience to chime in.

Hope this helps!!

Thank you so much for your detailed reply, coconuts (I like your screen-name btw, very cute:smile: )

Actually, the lotus flower has a special significance for me. I wish they'd sit higher on the lobes; I think the issue might be the same - the positioning of the posts. I'm glad that you also think the Frivoles are evergreen. I'd hate for anyone to think I look silly and try to look younger with younger flower earrings, lol! I do think that they are very very pretty and wish I'd discovered them, or rather had been able to afford them, when I was in my 30's - I could've got another 10 yrs' wear out of them!! lol

I'd def have them lengthened and have the Omega clips (i learn something new today, didn't know that was the name for the clips:smile: ) adjusted too. What exactly should I ask them to do with the clips?

What gold are yours? YG or WG?

Reactions: Nix_fun

Ugh! I was my lobes were thinner! Haha. I guess it's true, you always want what you don't have.

I'd imagine there was a good reason for these Omega clips too. It's just not something I'm used to.

Mine are also very small and thin. I can only wear my VCA earrings like these with a support such as lobe wonder but it's very worth the trouble.
While I've not tried this (and I'm afraid of needles) I've heard that restalyne or juvaderm can be injected near the pierced areas for added support. :shocked:

Yikes! The thing we do!:biggrin:

Thank you so much for your detailed reply, coconuts (I like your screen-name btw, very cute:smile: )

Actually, the lotus flower has a special significance for me. I wish they'd sit higher on the lobes; I think the issue might be the same - the positioning of the posts. I'm glad that you also think the Frivoles are evergreen. I'd hate for anyone to think I look silly and try to look younger with younger flower earrings, lol! I do think that they are very very pretty and wish I'd discovered them, or rather had been able to afford them, when I was in my 30's - I could've got another 10 yrs' wear out of them!! lol

I'd def have them lengthened and have the Omega clips (i learn something new today, didn't know that was the name for the clips:smile: ) adjusted too. What exactly should I ask them to do with the clips?

What gold are yours? YG or WG?

Hi Phoenix, I feel the same way as you!!! I feel I want to purchase as much as I can now that I am in my early 40s so that I can get as much time and wear as I can :smile: . Your questions and decisions sound like mine - in my late 30s early 40s I find I am questioning my choices and trying to grow into my clothing/jewelry. But I am always conflicted because I prefer small jewelry and sweet looking jewelry. It's a tug of war between what I want and what I feel I 'should' buy, ugh!

I have the YG mini frivole which I bought with no regrets, and love the size for every day.
I also purchased the WG small frivole - I just love the mirror shine of the white gold. I also purchased it to wear with my 20 motif WG/MOP necklace. The WG is not the most popular choice for the frivoles but they are very unique. I would post a photo but I am waiting for the longer posts to be placed and I haven't received them yet. They took them to NYC to have this done so it is taking some time. Be prepared to wait on repairs/adjustments!! My next earring will be the YG pave frivole and I will likely also get the pave Socrates. So as you can see, I definitely changed my mind on the frivoles being too young, as I will likely end up with three pairs, lol!!! I would suggest that you ask them to change the posts to the longer posts and make sure you do this when they are purchased so they don't charge you. As for the Omega backing, I ask if they can adjust it to make the baking more comfortable. They will understand this. Hope this helps!!

Now I have a question for you if you don't mind - what don't you like about your 6 motif pave bracelet? I know it is small, but I feel for every day I think it is a bracelet I wouldn't feel scared to wear. I LOVE the vintage alhambra pave but I can't justify the price since I always bang my bracelets and they always get caught in my clothing, etc. I would love your feedback on your choice in purchase and your choice to sell it. thank you :smile:)

Phoenix from what I can tell with your avatar, and the choices you are making, you have incredible taste!! And your ring is divine!! :heart:

I have heard of this procedure but since restylane doesn't last, you'd have to do it at least every year. I'd hate to own earrings that I could only wear if my lobes were pumped with restylane. It'd be like wanting to wear a piece of jewelry (usually a bracelet) that you need another person to put on you and you are all alone so you can't wear it.

I have heard of this procedure but since restylane doesn't last, you'd have to do it at least every year. I'd hate to own earrings that I could only wear if my lobes were pumped with restylane. It'd be like wanting to wear a piece of jewelry (usually a bracelet) that you need another person to put on you and you are all alone so you can't wear it.
Ha.
People do crazy things to wear what they want.
As for the bracelet...I can imagine that this happens more frequently than one might imagine.

I'm 55 and I love my pave wg frivoles!! Wear them ALL the time. Plan to add the pave yg pair soon. That will make my collection at 3 pair (also have the YG large). I have extremely sensitive ear lobes and I posted my concerns on this thread. A very helpful tpf member suggested I alter the post on all my earrings as I was having pain and had trouble wearing them all day. They replaced the posts with a longer, thinner version and soldered them and it worked perfectly. Now I can wear them all day and they are as comfortable as regular stud earrings. I wear my frivoles to work, for play and even with my lululemon at Bar Method as I don't want to take them off and leave them somewhere. Can't say enough about how these earrings will stand the test of time whatever your age. I get compliments on them constantly!