Frivalous tale of handbag woe

lurkingsmirk

Aug 7, 2008
I'm posting here because I figure fellow bag-lovers would understand/sympathize. I'd been lusting after a bag for weeks, it's a small no-name independent brand that was only available on an online boutique I was looking at. After waiting a long time it was finally on markdown and I bought it right away. When it arrived I loved it in person - cue happy fantasies and visions of all the outfits I'd wear it with and the events I would use it. Then around Thanksgiving I saw that it was still on sale, and my mom wanted a nice evening bag...I purchased another one and got a confirmation email right away. Two days later I ended up giving her the bag I already had, because her birthday was coming up and I thought it'd be nicer to gift her in person. Yesterday (11 days later) I realized I never got the shipping notice, so I emailed them and find out that it was out of stock! This is after they already charged my CC and I've paid it off. So they've had my money and never thought to tell me that they didn't have the bag anymore. Even though I'll get a refund, I'm mostly sad that the bag I've been wanting for such a long time, and then even had in my hands(!) is gone and irreplaceable. My mom has told me how she showed the bag off to her friends and they were envious of her. So, I'm just a little bummed right now.

I'm so sorry! That's got to be an awful feeling. On one hand, it's really nice that your mother is happy with the bag and is proud to show it off, but on the other hand, you're out your bag that you've been waiting and lusting after for a while with a false sense of security. I hope they get it in stock soon or that you find it elsewhere at a similar price. Is there a waiting list?

I'm so sorry! That's got to be an awful feeling. On one hand, it's really nice that your mother is happy with the bag and is proud to show it off, but on the other hand, you're out your bag that you've been waiting and lusting after for a while with a false sense of security. I hope they get it in stock soon or that you find it elsewhere at a similar price. Is there a waiting list?

I think they just didn't do a good job of updating their website so probably oversold their stock. It's a past season bag that doesn't even show up on the original company's site, so I think that's it.

Someone needs to tell your mother that a certain daughter would LOVE LOVE LOVE a certain gently used bag. Awh shucks! That was certainly very kind and thoughtful of you and my guess if you've just earned a hefty notch on the good karma wheel.

Are you close to your mom? Maybe you could just explain it to her, buy her another bag and arrange a trade?

I'm going to try not to mention it to her. I think it gave her a lot of face in front of her friends to have her daughter give her something nice, so it would lessen it if I tried to pull a switcheroo. *Sigh* lesson learned, don't get so attached to material things. She sacrificed for me many times so no reason to begrudge her this one.

Aww I'm so sorry! That really sucks. But I'm sure you'll find something else you'll love! I've had similar situations happen to me, but then something else better always comes along.

I'm going to try not to mention it to her. I think it gave her a lot of face in front of her friends to have her daughter give her something nice, so it would lessen it if I tried to pull a switcheroo. *Sigh* lesson learned, don't get so attached to material things. She sacrificed for me many times so no reason to begrudge her this one.

Hopefully the bag will turn up on the 'Bay or somewhere... I kinda know what you're feeling; a while back, in a fit of closet cleaning, I gave away a OOAK bag to a friend who was instantly utterly and completely shocked and amazed and immediately in love with it. I have since regretted giving it away so many times ... and no way could I tell her I screwed up and ask for it back. Her heart would be broken, and I'd feel like a snit.

... I haven't seen her for a while, though, we're having lunch on the 29th, I might ask if she still carries it ... :cool:

That's very ice of you! sounds like the right thing to do. Maybe it'll turn up on eBay?

If you are close to your mom, maybe ask to borrow it when you need it for a day. I'm sure she will not mind. I have gifted my mom many of my bags and she doesn't mind if I ask to borrow it once in a while. I think that it's good that you and your mom has the same taste, you get to shop in 2 closets. ;)

You are such a good daughter, the situation sucks and boo to that store for not letting you know! Hopefully you can find something else you will love just as much!

The store certainly fowled things up but keep looking at the bright side. You sacrificed your own gratification to please your mother! That's a great gift and you should feel tremendous pride! Hopefully another completely different bag will capture your attention in the near future that will captivate you and take your attention off this one.