Friendship and Hermes

Joylucklove

70% hard work and 30% luck
Jul 6, 2020
Hi ladies... I need some advice.
I’ve had a friend for 2 years. She is an extremely brand and status conscious person. But I still hung out with her (at work) as she is a team mate.
I was recently looking at her IG and realised that she carries a fake croc Birkin and fake Kelly, and passed it off as real (probably for the sake of flaunting on Instagram).
I actually got quite upset and affected by it.
What should I do? Have you been in a similar situation before? As a very loyal H lover myself, I feel that it is so awkward yet I should not feel shy about calling it out. I can’t see her in a good light anymore. :/

• Wow
Reactions: keodi and 880
I’ve had a friend for 2 years. She is an extremely brand and status conscious person. But I still hung out with her (at work) as she is a team mate.
I was recently looking at her IG and realised that she carries a fake croc Birkin and fake Kelly, and passed it off as real (probably for the sake of flaunting on Instagram).
What should I do? Have you been in a similar situation before? As a very loyal H lover myself, I feel that it is so awkward yet I should not feel shy about calling it out. I can’t see her in a good light anymore. :/
There's a similar thread that perhaps might give you some perspective on this issue (albeit an older thread).

• Love
Reactions: Joylucklove and 880
I wouldn’t call her out publicly.

If she is knowingly flaunting a fake item as something real for social media (as opposed to say being gifted one and thinking it’s real and not knowing) then I would also just quietly distance myself from her. Not someone I want to be close friends with. Just continue being polite coworkers / acquaintances.

I guess the questions are, what do you gain from calling her out and what authority (moral or otherwise) do you have to do so?

If the answers are “it makes me feel better or superior in some way” and “none really” then I would likely just move on to deciding if this is significant enough to terminate an acquaintance based relationship and potentially cause discontent in your work team as a result.

I’m assuming she doesn’t realize the harm that can come from the fake industry. Perhaps a gentler conversation at an appropriate point (if she seems receptive to it) generally about the abuses that exist in the industry might allow her the dignity to make her own choices without the embarrassment of a “calling out”.

I would not do anything about it. Despite being wrong, in the end of the day is none of your business.

Is it possible she doesn't know they aren't authentic?

That was really my first thought. I do think there's a difference between doing it unknowingly and knowingly. The unknowingly situation actually can get so much more complicated (because there are then many possibilities for how that happened and their implications).

I would not do anything about it. Despite being wrong, in the end of the day is none of your business.

I totally agree that it's not OP's business if this person uses fake bags or not, but I do think whether OP wants to be friends with a said person is OP's business. Calling the person out publicly though I see absolutely no reason for.

I also do wonder exactly how close of a friend this is (as opposed to just friendly coworkers in which case I'd have no problem continuing as).

Personally I think this speaks volumes about her insecurities and possibly a need to fit in if she is posting fake bags on social media. I wouldn’t say a word!
You know the truth, she probably knows the truth and may well be aware you own authentic items, there’s no need to make her feel worse.
I have friends who only post photos on Instagram after filtering their faces to beyond recognition and shrinking their waistline by several dress sizes. I know they don’t really look like that, they know they don’t really look like that (or at least I hope they do). There’s nothing to be gained for either of you by mentioning it! I just make sure I crop my head off before I post something :lol:

I think just first to clear your mind that if she doesn't know about the authenticity of all her bags. You two do share common things at work and fashion. Maybe one day, mention about this with her, saying one of your friend purchased fake bag with real price or how popular the fake industry nowadays. So you might know she's using fake bags on purpose or just being a victim :smile: