Friends who don't "get" it.

that_claudz

Jan 6, 2013
Was just thinking about my recent first purchase of a LV and it made me think of a conversation I had with a friend.

I grew up in a family where I was taught that presentation is important. My mother likes bags, and in turn, I like bags. Lol. I would much rather save my money and spend it on "expensive" things. They last longer, and are much better quality.

My friend says to me, "yeah well, if I see it, I just presume it's fake."

I was fuming and offended. She implied that just because we (people in my area) didn't live in a place like Beverly Hills, we couldn't possibly own real designer items. I have never bought a fake in my life. If I can't afford it, what's the point?

Anyone ever experience similar situations and conversations where friends just don't "get" it?

Last edited:
alot of our friends are quite affluent and can easily afford designer goods but they don't care for such items. if i do carry them, they will make some remarks like i am wasting $$ on them but of cos they spend $$ on other stuff they think is so much more worthwhile like cigarettes, alchohol :blah:

i am not sure if she really implied you can't afford it or she just meant there are so many fakes around so when she sees one, it's likely fake?

there are people who don't get spending $$ on designer bags. i would have retorted something along the lines " that is so NICE of you to say that about me but i never carry fakes."

Last edited:
I can relate. Some people make snide little comments about my bags. They think I'm shallow because of them. Bags are my "thing". I'm not in to jewels or flashy cars. I've never smoked, but I always say I buy bags with my cigarette money!

Haha well said boyoverboard!

I don't think she was necessarily implying I own a fake/replica. She knows full well my mother can afford it, and as for me- I work hard for my things. I don't smoke, I don't drink, and sometimes I'd much rather invite people over for dinner than spend extravagant amount of money out. Every cent I save is a trip overseas or a nice designer item. My husband and I don't spend our money on silly items.

I just think that it's so easy for people to judge, yet the ones who judge are usually those who have never owned such an item.

Last edited:
agreed! Im the same, i dont really drink, dont smoke, we dont go out too much since i nurse my husbands grandma who has Alzeimers and has recently moved in with us. I have scaled my work right back too to accomodate this, so when i am getting excited about my upcoming jaunt to London at the weekend for my birthday present from LV , my friend says " youre silly spending so much on a hunk you carry around " i just replied " ahhh but what a hunk ??? nothing is as good as a vuitton feels " i quickly followed it up with . " besides you have hundreds of bags , i have a select few, youve probably spent more than i have !" soon shuts them up, i was always brought up with " buy cheap , buy twice and thrice again". How true

When I run into people with designer bags, I don't stop and scrutinize to check if it's real or not which is why I don't really care what others think of my bags (I know they're real and that's all that matters). IMHO, we don't need to explain or justify what we own to other people (unless you're a politician being investigated for graft and corruption...hehehe).

When I am around friends or family, I try not to talk about bags because they just don't get it. Nothing good usually ever come out of it but hard feelings and judgement.
I could careless if people think my bags are fake. Approval is not needed.

When I am around friends or family, I try not to talk about bags because they just don't get it. Nothing good usually ever come out of it but hard feelings and judgement.
I could careless if people think my bags are fake. Approval is not needed.

i never talk about bags to anyone except my DH but i notice that people still like to comment on them. i usually just ignore them.

i don't carry them infront of my DH's family either.

it's just sad that people are always so judgemental and they think they can determine your character ( usually negative ) just by the bags you carry :rolleyes:

Ah yes I know. I generally don't care.

Was just thrown thinking about the comment as this person is a friend, and one who claims to be very stylish and into trends... Yet a comment such as that escapes her mouth.

I haven't actually taken my new bag out yet and am curious to see if I get looked at in a particular way.

No one seems to notice when I use my Burberry tote Lol.

I understand where you're coming from. She's your friend and you want her to share your excitement, that's what friends do! But I've learnt that each person has their own "thing". For my friends it's shoes, they can talk and be excited about their shoe finds and it's great, but they don't really understand why I love purses, especially designer ones. In their mind spending $700 on Louboutins is worth every penny, but in my noggin' I'm thinking I could save up for another LV. LOL

At the end of the day, you can't worry about what other people think. I carry my purses because I love them! I love them so much I want to hug them (I know that's insane right??), but it's how I feel and it makes me ridiculously happy. :cloud9:

Was just thinking about my recent first purchase of a LV and it made me think of a conversation I had with a friend.

I grew up in a family where I was taught that presentation is important. My mother likes bags, and in turn, I like bags. Lol. I would much rather save my money and spend it on "expensive" things. They last longer, and are much better quality.

My friend says to me, "yeah well, if I see it, I just presume it's fake."

I was fuming and offended. She implied that just because we (people in my area) didn't live in a place like Beverly Hills, we couldn't possibly own real designer items. I have never bought a fake in my life. If I can't afford it, what's the point?

Anyone ever experience similar situations and conversations where friends just don't "get" it?

Things like this happen everyday, no matter where you live, ignore those impolite - or simply naive - comments and share your love here with us! :smile: