Friends Judging your LV

Whaaaaat?? I cannot believe some of these stories I am hearing. Some people just weren't raised right. I would NEVER put someone down like that over anything as trivial as a purse. I'm sorry, but did you steal money from them to purchase it?? NO. Unreal. Honestly, I think it boils down to jealousy. If someone said anything like that to me, I would go East Coast on them real quick.

Completely agree! If you saved and spent your own hard earned money on something you love and enjoy, why is someone else going to judge?!? Its not like you are hurting them by carrying the darn thing.

That annoys me so much, I have a lot of friends who don't have as expensive taste as I do, but they never put me down about it usually, and every once in awhile make a joke, like I wouldn't like something because it's not expensive enough. lol. But the truth is someone make look at a louis vuitton bag and not understand how they can spend that much money on a bag but turn around and spend double as much as you would on a car or appliances, everyone has different priorities when it comes to needs and wants, and I've noticed with most of my friends who don't carry expensive brands is they're a little less fashionable or daring than myself. So in the end I think it's their loss!

I'm sure she 'wastes' her $ on things she appreciates. Everybody and I mean EVERYBODY has things they like! I get quite a bit of hate for spending $300 on niche perfume, but I think about it as, I'm spending my money on perfume, other people spend it on purses, watches, guitars, surfboards, drugs even, whatever they enjoy! I saved $400 to buy my vintage LV [which is not even a whole lot for a Louis!] and that is my business.
Oh also I am a vegetarian and people get on to me about that too, to which I say it is really none of your business! I think it is especially rude when you are sitting there minding your own business, like you were, and someone just brings it up out of the blue so they can rant on you about it.

Ummm.... I feel like you're talking about my life lol.

I'm also a vegetarian, and the things people will say are so aggravating. I don't care what they eat, why do they care what I eat? It's super annoying that someone judges you for not eating something. I don't judge picky eaters.

I completely agree - everyone has their vices, but at least I'm getting a tangible, reusable product and not tossing money away on something like cigs, drugs or nights I won't remember at the bar. Don't get me wrong, I *love* wine and have been to bars, but I have a friend who judges me for things I buy when she has spent countless dollars on cover charges and over priced alcohol.

She doesn't sound like a 'great friend.' I would be pretty pissed off too. I don't want 'great friends' counting my money, and I think it's very rude to insult something someone has obviously spent time thinking about and hard earned money on. I earn myy own money and can spend it how I choose and it's no one else's business. Best of luck to you!

I am laughing about going East Coast on someone!

OP I'm sorry your friend is being an A-hole about your new LV. I have one of those in my friend group as well - she's a Coachaholic who prob has 40+ Coach bags and about as many snotty comments for those of us in the friend group who carry LV. Yes we know you could run to the outlet and buy 10 Coaches for the price of 1 LV...but I'd rather have 1 LV than 10 Coaches!

BTW what type of bag is your new LV? We're excited for you even if your friend is not!

You were very nice to stop in to say hi to your friend, very thoughtful. Her thinking the bag is not worth the cost, disliking the Monogram and rather she'd ever wear LV or not was no reason for her to be rude to you. I could understand if you were rubbing it in her face but it doesn't even sound like you asked for her opinion. I'm so sorry that you felt the need to justify your purchase and I'd let her know that she upset you. She doesn't have to 'get it' but she does need to be respectful. I'm sorry OP.

+1. But honestly, my true friends would NEVER say these kind of things to me out of mutual respect for each other. But, with my true friends, there is no jealousy. Other so called "friends" may have jealous feelings, but don't say them out loud to me. They know it wouldn't be a smart thing to do. I'm not very nice when someone wants to verbally attack me. You took the highroad, but those comments are just uncalled for. Enjoy your LV's and anything else that makes you happy and don't let someone else's envy make you want to justify anything.

Thanks all for your advice and support. I went to lunch with my friend today...I brought up my purse and told her how much I liked it and again offered to buy her a pre-loved one also. She says she doesnt want one, she thinks they are horrible and ugly, but would like a michael koors bag. Lol nothing with a lot of hardware though... she then jokes that she doesn't know if she can hang out with me anymore...eyelash extensions, nails, and now a LV bag. I'm above her now and she cant be seen with the likes of me. Lmao. I laughed and said gimme a break. I do my own nails at home, got a groupon for lash extensions and spent less on my pre-loved lv than she did on her Coach bag! Well, the truth shall set you free. At least I know now that she is jealous of me spending money on myself. I don't feel bad anymore. I will enjoy my purchases and wear them with pride because it's what I love. It's my hard earned money and I will spend it how I see fit...if she judges me again, I'll just laugh... again.

I am laughing about going East Coast on someone!

OP I'm sorry your friend is being an A-hole about your new LV. I have one of those in my friend group as well - she's a Coachaholic who prob has 40+ Coach bags and about as many snotty comments for those of us in the friend group who carry LV. Yes we know you could run to the outlet and buy 10 Coaches for the price of 1 LV...but I'd rather have 1 LV than 10 Coaches!

BTW what type of bag is your new LV? We're excited for you even if your friend is not!
quality over quantity!!

Another thing I just don't understand, why so much hate towards LV? Coach and MK and many other designers have bags with logos all over them as well. I don't see nearly as much negativity towards those brands. Guessing because so many people associate LV with the "1 percenters" which gets so much negative media attention. Reality is there are lots of people carrying LV bags that had to work and save and should be able to carry them with pride, not embarrassment!

I know that's so weard... Some friends of mine loove my Michael Kors bags and comment thats they love them and want them, too. But they have something against LV because it's so "in your face"? That doesn't make any sense to me because MK is really not very understated...

That's actually why I never really looked into monogram bags. I just started now because I really would like to get a vintage Noe. :loveeyes:
And I think some people are always going to hate, but others will love you bags as well :smile:
And if you're LV is there only problem in life, then good for them ;)

Omg I cannot believe these reactions to LV!? The post office lady clearly has some deep seeded issues and is obviously unhappy and dissatisfied with life. Not ok to take that out on someone else! Burns me up!!

And that "friend" needs to be honest and tell you that she wishes she could afford to spend money on...well anything she wants. It sounds like $ is only part of it. She's jealous of you and your lifestyle. You will learn that she will not be a true friend to you unless she can be honest and transparent about this. Obviously this hits home for me.... I used to minimize things too to make others feel comfortable but that should not be a requirement in a relationship. You shouldn't have to do that. It hurts but I've had to release friendships when I realized the dynamic of jealousy! I have a friend who would NEVER buy any designer bag and is fashionably modest. Never had a bad thing to say about my LV Purchases. Because she's not jealous and doesn't want it for herself. She doesn't care if I have it or not!

Luckily at university in our 'clique' or group of friends every single one of us has numerous pieces from Louis Vuitton and other brands such as Hermés and Dior etc... thus there is a clear absence of any sly retorts nor are there any questions as to price because we all shop within the same 'level' of store..

That being said when all together in public we usually get stares or pointed fingers which irks me. If you have something to say...just say it directly and i'll respond in a manner I best feel is appropriate.

I dislike those who judge one for their individual choice of purchase. I, for example would never critique someone for having a 'less exclusive' bag or accessory than mine, therefore I would be far from amused to have someone judging my LV.

phew rant over lol

Sounds like jealousy or envy! But then again it could be that some people just don't believe in spending that much on a handbag, and that's fine different strokes for different folks. However people don't have to be so rude and judgmental about it either. I think everyone has something that they do that the next person probably wouldn't, but who are we to judge each other. The only time I judge people is when someone is sleeping with a married man or a friend/ family members man or woman. I know that is way off the subject of LV, sorry! Maybe that sounds hypocritical of me to judge, but that is the one thing that I hate and EVERYONE knows that's wrong... Lol, I'm done!