Friction stain/mark on Garment Bag :(

LVBrett

Gay LV Lova & Guru!
Feb 16, 2009
Hi Everyone,

I'm Brett, a newbie. Nice to meet everyone.. I'm a gay LV lova!! I am into the luggage mostly since I'd look like a hot mess carrying a purse everywhere, so I only get to use it when I travel but I do love it! Ok now onto the dilem.

I just purchased a Garment Bag on eBay and the vachetta on the top was pristine in the pics... It arrived today and the seller put the lock and the key on the shoulder strap ring!! >:sad:

Now that it's been shipped, the lock seems to have made a mark on the formerly perfect Vachetta.. I'm so disappointed! I don't know if it's a reaction to the brass or what but it doesn't seem to go INTO the bag, like a dent... The lock is even the smallest bit greasy (or is it my imagination?) has anyone experienced anything like this before? Can I clean it or is there something that will at least accelerate the tanning so it will fade into the rest of the strap? I'm including a pic.

I e-mailed the seller.. I don't know if i'm going to ask for my money back or what. She shipped it from the UK wrapped in a garbage bag and brown shipping paper.. no box.

I almost passed out.

Look forward to hearing from everyone!
Thanks in advance!

Brett

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 325
You may try using non-alcohol baby wipes, but to be honest, that may not work because it is not a stain but rather a mark. If I were in your shoes, I'd leave it alone and let it blend with the natural patina as it ages along. Hope this helps.

Buy a white pen eraser (the eraser made especially for pens, not pencil) and then rub very gently, small area at a time and check for yourself if it's helping. It happened once with one of my LV's, but the mark was smaller than yours, but the mark disappeared like nothing happened. It's worth less than $1.00, but might help you. Make sure you get the white eraser. Good luck and keep us posted.

How long does the Patina take to get dark? I got a brand new Pegase 60 a year and a half ago and it has barely turned if at all... Is it because it lives in it's sleeper bag most of the time? I guess I'm stressing that it won't patina for like 10 years lol!

Please be careful using the by wipes. It's for cleaning only, but it might make your vachetta a lot darker (unless you want it darker). It will not remove the mark. I've done it myself and I was disappointed that the vachetta became darker and dry than before. I regretted it.

I cannot believe that it was not shipped in a box?!? WTF? I hope you dinged her on shipping. Ridic!

Anyways, good luck with the flaw. Personally when I have an imperfection, it makes me a little less freaky to actually use the bag and not stress so much. LOL

Ok, I'll try the eraser first. Then maybe if that doesn't work, I'll do the baby wipes and that will mask the spot anyway... Ugh maybe I should ask her to take it back..

Anyone know how long the aging process takes? (for it to really be noticeable) I don't get to actually use my pieces very much because I only use them when I travel

I have a Sirius 70 which I bought in Feb. 2007. I only use it when traveling by car (I've traveled w/ it 3 times already). The vachetta still has no patina since it's stored in its box most of the time. My Speedy 40 which I bought in May of 2008 I use as a gym bag 4x/week is barely developing patina.

OK, here are the before and after photos I just did today for my brand new Cosmetic Pouch with watermarks (my fault):

Before photo:

After - after a few rubs from the pen eraser and then this Mr. Clean Magic eraser. I didn't wet the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I used it dry and then I rubbed the vachetta really carefully and gently.

Here are the after pics:

After a few more gentle rubbing with Magic Eraser:

It helps. I bought my Mr. Clean Magic Eraser from eBay. You could also find it at your grocery store.

Hope this helps and good luck to you. Here's the photo of the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser in case you haven't seen it. The eraser is made of sponge, but is very powerful. You could cut them into smaller pieces before use. The trick is gentle rubbing until you get the desired end result.

cdd8_1.JPG
Sorry, the pic is too small.

OMG Adajal!! it worked! thank you!!! The only concern I have it I notice a slight difference in the texture there.. nothing horrible, I hardly noticed... Do you htink the texture will go back as it is used? Will whatever is in the majic eraser affect the patina down the road to you think?

Thanks so much for the tip!!

Attachments

• mail.jpeg
    mail.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 448
attachment.php

Wow! You did an amazing job! If you have a leather conditioner, it will help you condition the leather. I use Appleguard leather conditioner. It might make the leather a little (just a little) darker, but it will condition it and will make the texture much better. Here's the link to the website where I got mine:

http://leatherstuff.com/shop/index.php?id=290

You did great! I'm happy for you!

OMG Adajal!! it worked! thank you!!! The only concern I have it I notice a slight difference in the texture there.. nothing horrible, I hardly noticed... Do you htink the texture will go back as it is used? Will whatever is in the majic eraser affect the patina down the road to you think?

Thanks so much for the tip!!

No, the magic eraser will not affect the patina down the road. I never had any problems with the bags that I treated with magic eraser. And yes, you are very welcome!