'Freshening up' the interior of a pre-loved bag

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I know I'm becoming a bit of a serial thread opener, but I've searched the forum and all the results I can find seem to relate to cleaning specific stains (ink, etc) from the lining of a bag - or ridding it of a certain smell.

I wanted to ask for any suggestions on basically just how to freshen up, for want of a better phrase, the interior of a pre-loved bag.

What I really mean by that is... if there's no smell or stain to speak of, but you just would rather give it a good clean before putting your things inside, since it's a used bag... what's the best way of going about it? I'm talking about the soft fabric lining, not the leather lining, by the way.

I keep reading about baby wipes. Is this the only option or can I safely clean the lining with something else?

Thanks!

2. Good question. I would like to know as well.

3. I've used an antibac wipe on the inside of my bags. Then a dryer sheet left inside overnight. You could also spray a little febreeze into the bag.

4. ^ Thank you for the suggestions! :smile:

5. I always stick with the Dyson Animal attachment to clean out any stray bits on the lining and then fresh air for 24 hours (UK weather permitting of course!)

6. Vernis-lover, I was thinking of using a mini-vac on it! I'm just a little paranoid about putting my things inside used bags, even if they seem perfectly clean. I'd really prefer to clean it out myself. Will hope for a bit of sunshine so I can air it out! :lol:

oldbagnewtricks likes this.
  7. I've used baby wipes to freshen up the inside of my pre-loved bags- I use the ones without fragrance or alcohol. They work the best if your bag just needs a freshening up. I've found that Febreze and dryer sheets don't really work that well since they don't get rid of smells - they just "add" to it. But I like scented cardboard drawer liners (which I cut to fit the bottom of bags) that I bought from TJ Maxx because they add a little scent to the bag but not overly powerful.

8. ^ Thank you for your reply. I'll keep an eye out for the scented cardboard liners, that's a really good idea!

9. you can also use a cedar block...it works great...

10. i have used a sprinkle of that arm and hammer baking soda based carpet cleaner/refresher (the non flower scented one), leave for a bit and then vacuum up, just like with a rug. i agree you don't want to overpower with another scent.

11. These are all great suggestions! Thanks OP for asking!

12. So I am expecting a pre-loved bag today, and I will be opening it outside in the cold.. heh.. -25, shake it out.. and then I'll vacuum out the interior.. My thought is that it comes from another country, I have no idea how the bag is handled, or packed. So I will do that as a precaution, because I dont want anything weird escaping from the bag into my house.. haha... I will then consider how to clean/freshen it up for my use.

13. thanks for the info on this thread.

14. My Epi Speedy came from Japan via Ebay and the seller sent the bag with a bar of soap inside (still in the box). I guess that is how they remove the owners scent there. The soap was actually Palmolive with an Aloe/Neutral smell to it. So, I would suggest when you get it to first wipe it down and disinfect it (antibacterial wipe) then if you have a favorite bar of soap or scented votive candle you could wrap it up in tissue paper with a bunch of other shape keepers (blankets,towels) and they the bag will smell how you want it:smile: