Food French onion soup recipe?

trixz

bonheur
O.G.
Apr 13, 2007
I love french onion soup! Although cooking isn't my forte, I would like to learn to make it myself so I can have it at home whenever I crave for it. Does anyone has the recipe for it?

Thanks for the replies.

Mikan, thanks for the recipe. The detailed instructions is very helpful to me as I'm really clueless when it comes to cooking. I didn't you can use butter to cook the onion. I thought you just cook it like that or with olive oil? I tried once and it got burnt while some other parts are still pale in color. Also, what kind of stock should I use?

Thanks for the replies.

Mikan, thanks for the recipe. The detailed instructions is very helpful to me as I'm really clueless when it comes to cooking. I didn't you can use butter to cook the onion. I thought you just cook it like that or with olive oil? I tried once and it got burnt while some other parts are still pale in color. Also, what kind of stock should I use?

You can use butter or olive oil or 1/2 butter, 1/2 oil to cook the onions. I often go with 1/2 butter, 1/2 oil (the oil helps prevent the butter from burning, while the butter adds richness).

The trick to caramelizing the onions is to keep the flame on medium-low to low heat. If your heat is too high, the onions will burn before they caramelize. That's probably what happened to you before.

For the stock, I use 1/2 chicken, 1/2 beef. I buy Kitchen Basics stock from my local grocery store. Note that stock is different from "broth" (like Swansons) -- make sure you get stock, which is richer in flavor.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the tips, Mikan. :smile: Yeah, I think you're right about the heat. I probably had it too high. The french onion soups I've tried are always so tasty even though they are plain. I wonder what's the secret. I'm going to get the stock you suggested and try again. Hope I can get it right this time.