French luxury group LVMH offers to buy U.S jeweler Tiffany: sources

BigAkoya

O.G.
Nov 23, 2006
Hmm...interesting, thanks for sharing. I wonder, will these be popular? They must think there's a market for them...
I think it's an interesting concept, but I think they missed their target audience.
I clicked to see the rings, and I saw four diamond sizes in the platinum. The small was 1.00-1.24 ct, then 2-2.5 ct, then 3.92 ct, then the largest at 4.30 ct.

I would dare say the majority of couples getting engaged are young couples, and I honestly cannot see a young gentleman buying diamonds this size. More importantly, because engagement rings have typically been for women... well, for me, if I am getting engaged, I want my rock to be bigger than his! If he's getting a 4.30 ct, I am going to insist my rock be twice the size... 8.6 cts and nothing less for me! :biggrin:

So... I think Tiffany totally missed the target audience on this one. But that's just me... they'll probably sell out like hotcakes. Who knows.

Any newly engaged or soon to be engaged folks out here? I would love to hear your thoughts?

May 29, 2010
I think it's an interesting concept, but I think they missed their target audience.
I clicked to see the rings, and I saw four diamond sizes in the platinum. The small was 1.00-1.24 ct, then 2-2.5 ct, then 3.92 ct, then the largest at 4.30 ct.

I would dare say the majority of couples getting engaged are young couples, and I honestly cannot see a young gentleman buying diamonds this size. More importantly, because engagement rings have typically been for women... well, for me, if I am getting engaged, I want my rock to be bigger than his! If he's getting a 4.30 ct, I am going to insist my rock be twice the size... 8.6 cts and nothing less for me! :biggrin:

So... I think Tiffany totally missed the target audience on this one. But that's just me... they'll probably sell out like hotcakes. Who knows.

Any newly engaged or soon to be engaged folks out here? I would love to hear your thoughts?
I definitely think that there is a market for them. I know Tiffany has definitely done campaigning with couples who are a part of the LGBTQ+ community. Also, women do propose to men.

BigAkoya

O.G.
Nov 23, 2006
I definitely think that there is a market for them. I know Tiffany has definitely done campaigning with couples who are a part of the LGBTQ+ community. Also, women do propose to men.
Yes, I can see that, but I was talking more about the diamond sizes offered in these rings. I guess 2, 3, 4 cts is an average engagement ring diamond size now. I am just surprised they do not offer these rings in smaller carat weights.

Last edited:

Shopgirl1996

Live Laugh Love
Apr 11, 2015
USA
Yes, I can see that, but I was talking more about the diamond sizes offered in these rings. I guess 2, 3, 4 cts is an average engagement ring diamond size now. I am just surprised they do not offer these rings in smaller carat weights.
Well, I wouldn't be able to afford any of those rings, so DH gets nothing! :lol::lol::lol:

Besides, my Tiffany engagement ring is under 1 carat, so no way is he getting a 2+ carat diamond ring. :rolleyes:

I got him the Tiffany platinum Lucida 6mm wedding band (no diamonds) and he barely wears it due to his job. In fact, I just remembered he doesn't even like blingy things. He thinks a yellow gold chain necklace is too much. LOL!

etoile de mer

by the sea
Feb 25, 2012
I was thinking the same, the diamonds seem large! Also, my initial reaction to this was that it might be a big flop. Not necessarily a bad concept, but I just don't find them attractive, and don't know any men who would wear them. But, one of the eye-opening things about spending time on this forum has been seeing how widely tastes vary. So, as you said, may actually end up being wildly popular!

etoile de mer

by the sea
Feb 25, 2012
These two articles (both from January of this year) provide a bit more info regarding LVMH's plans for Tiffany.

BigAkoya

O.G.
Nov 23, 2006
These two articles (both from January of this year) provide a bit more info regarding LVMH's plans for Tiffany.

Great articles! My takeaway were two points:
1) LVMH wants to upmarket silver. As in... they will increase prices on signature collections (e.g. Peretti) and probably discontinue some. Purchase your Peretti on the cheap now. :lol:
2) LVMH wants to create more "iconic" and recognizable pieces. I actually love this, as it's been a while since I fell in love with a collection. In my opinion, Krakoff was a disaster... Paper Flowers was to me a VCA copycat line. Everyday Objects was a line that I felt was sort of a childish joke... Cute gift ideas (I gave some myself as gifts), but nothing that would become mainstream.

I'm looking forward to seeing a new collection.

Last edited:

cheremushki

Mar 21, 2016
Well, I wouldn't be able to afford any of those rings, so DH gets nothing! :lol::lol::lol:

Besides, my Tiffany engagement ring is under 1 carat, so no way is he getting a 2+ carat diamond ring. :rolleyes:

I got him the Tiffany platinum Lucida 6mm wedding band (no diamonds) and he barely wears it due to his job. In fact, I just remembered he doesn't even like blingy things. He thinks a yellow gold chain necklace is too much. LOL!
Well. I told my bf that I don't want big ostentatious hunk of rock. That I'm a modest woman with modest needs and would love a very small diamond(traditionalist) in classic design.

And then I added that it better have the best(expensive) clarity to shine the pants off of him.

cheremushki

Mar 21, 2016
Great articles! My takeaway were two points:
1) LVMH wants to upmarket silver. As in... they will increase prices on signature collections (e.g. Peretti) and probably discontinue some. Purchase your Peretti on the cheap now. :lol:
2) LVMH wants to create more "iconic" and recognizable pieces. I actually love this, as it's been a while since I fell in love with a collection. In my opinion, Krakoff was a disaster... Paper Flowers was to me a VCA copycat line. Everyday Objects was a line that I felt was sort of a childish joke... Cute gift ideas (I gave some myself as gifts), but nothing that would become mainstream.

I'm looking forward to seeing a new collection.
Ugh.. I better get some of their iconic silvers and Peretti then.. big big eye roll..

But it is smart moves. LVMH is very savvy in business.. if their stocks weren't OTC/pinksheet I would've purchased long time ago. I just hope that when they do "iconic", they don't go down the road that LV has been doing.. LV's idea of "iconic" has been more of "fast fashion" in my opinion.

limom

O.G.
Mar 24, 2009
Ugh.. I better get some of their iconic silvers and Peretti then.. big big eye roll..

But it is smart moves. LVMH is very savvy in business.. if their stocks weren't OTC/pinksheet I would've purchased long time ago. I just hope that when they do "iconic", they don't go down the road that LV has been doing.. LV's idea of "iconic" has been more of "fast fashion" in my opinion.
So it is a hard no on the stock, huh?