French help Please

Jennifer Marvin said:
well, MiroirPrincess, we can not generalize all of the French and say they all hate Americans. That would be like saying all Americans hate the French, which is absolutly absurd. I have many, many, French friends in Paris (I am American) and they treat me like one of their own, and I have no reason to believe that they are secretly hating me behind my back. I think it has to do with mutual respect. There are mean French people, sure, like in every other country.

je n'ai jamais generalise, je parle de ce que j'ai vu et entendu de mes propres yeux et oreilles. Comme tu as du le remarquer en france quand on se fait un ami c'est un VRAI ami not like here in the states where I have at least 40 fake friends. Tes amis en france se battrons meme pour toi. Je parle du cote tres arnaqueur et trompeur des francais .Tout est bon a Paris pour arnaquer les etrangers. Tu ne t'en rends peut etre pas compte parce que tu n 'es probablement pas fluent en francais. Un francais a NY sera traite comme un roi. Un americain a paris comme un gros con. J'etais recemment a paris pour refaire mon visa et j'etais avec une amie americaine. On cherchait une station de taxi et elle a demande en anglais a un passant la station la plus proche. Le passant nous a donne une fausse route et nous a traite de salopes americaines, je me suis retourne et lui ai demander quel etait son probleme et je l'ai gifle. Bref cela est un exemple parmis tant d'autres. Ouvre tes oreilles c'est tout, et sache qu'un sourire peut cacher beaucoup de choses.

**IF you cant keep the posts in ENGLISH for all to understand..they will be DELETED in the future..and Please tone it down..I am getting annoyed with the implied nastiness in this post.**and PS- I read and speak FRENCH too...

For example when I first came to NY I was so surprised how nice are americains . I went to the duane reade and the cashier ask me "how are you today" I was speechless, surprised. Everyone compliments me about my country. In Paris you can go to the nicest restaurant they will ***** about something. Not only against americains but against everybody it's in the society. In America everybody is positive and happy, in France everybody is negative. Jennifer, you probably don't see it because you still amazed by Paris and you have probably a nice french entourage that talk to you in english, but trust me I'm french, I think french and Im a ***** like all the other french but I do my best to change. The french society made us like that.

MiroirPrincess said:
je n'ai jamais generalise, je parle de ce que j'ai vu et entendu de mes propres yeux et oreilles. Comme tu as du le remarquer en france quand on se fait un ami c'est un VRAI ami not like here in the states where I have at least 40 fake friends. Tes amis en france se battrons meme pour toi. Je parle du cote tres arnaqueur et trompeur des francais .Tout est bon a Paris pour arnaquer les etrangers. Tu ne t'en rends peut etre pas compte parce que tu n 'es probablement pas fluent en francais. Un francais a NY sera traite comme un roi. Un americain a paris comme un gros con. J'etais recemment a paris pour refaire mon visa et j'etais avec une amie americaine. On cherchait une station de taxi et elle a demande en anglais a un passant la station la plus proche. Le passant nous a donne une fausse route et nous a traite de salopes americaines, je me suis retourne et lui ai demander quel etait son probleme et je l'ai gifle. Bref cela est un exemple parmis tant d'autres. Ouvre tes oreilles c'est tout, et sache qu'un sourire peut cacher beaucoup de choses.

I am answering this in English out of respect that not so many of us on this forum speak French and might want to know what we are writing about. Your comment about my not understanding French, is not correct. I do understand. I have lived here for many years. I do think that the attitude of the American tourist in Paris is much the same attitude as the Texan tourist in Colorado, so the French do not have a monopoly on picking on tourists. I am sorry, but, in my profession, I am not treated “comme un gros con” I am treated quite the contrary. I make an effort to blend with the culture, which is not difficult for me. I certainly don’t expect everyone to speak English or accept US dollars as payment, which is certainly helpful.

The summers in Paris are a bit more challenging. I did get a little “round about ride” in a taxi the other day, since the cabbie thought I was a tourist who speaks French (can’t hide my accent). I know the ropes, so, I got out at the stop light and gave him the fair as he looked at me in disbelief as I walked to the address on foot. Things like that are just not worth dwelling on, in my opinion.

I think, with age and refinement offered by traveling in the world, we all learn that there are some things you are just better off ignoring. If you pay attention only to the negatives of a place, you will surely find many. I prefer to focus on the positive (I guess that is the American side of me coming out) and find that the rude people are just not worth my time. My eyes and ears are open, but they are much more open to all of the positive things Paris has to offer.

MiroirPrincess said:
For example when I first came to NY I was so surprised how nice are americains . I went to the duane reade and the cashier ask me "how are you today" I was speechless, surprised. Everyone compliments me about my country. In Paris you can go to the nicest restaurant they will ***** about something. Not only against americains but against everybody it's in the society. In America everybody is positive and happy, in France everybody is negative. Jennifer, you probably don't see it because you still amazed by Paris and you have probably a nice french entourage that talk to you in english, but trust me I'm french, I think french and Im a ***** like all the other french but I do my best to change. The french society made us like that.
Hi, I have lived here for about 6 years now, so the amazement has worn off by now.

My French sister-in-law visited my other French sister-in-law in the US a couple of years ago and was also shocked when she went into a store and was asked “how are you?” she was shocked that someone would ask such a personal question, and she found it a bit hypocritical since she was quite sure the store keeper couldn’t care less how she was. I had to explain to her that it is simply a greeting like “bon jour” when our hearts are not really behind caring if they do indeed have a “good day”.

And, yes, I do have a nice entourage who speak to me in English, but, I speak and understand French with everyone else. I am not “outside” of the French society. I am someone who married into a French family, so, I get it by now.

None the less, I think the fact that the French are so passionate about so many things makes them interesting conversationalists.

MiroirPrincess said:

It is a global society now, and I think we have choices about the attitudes we adapt. No society can "make me" a certain way, I chose to take responsibility for who I am and not give the power to a society or situation to change me or decide who I am.:flowers:

in any case. to all this.. i am not american nor am i english i am lebnese.. not that it should make a diff. as i do look european. there are racists everywher e and if ppl wnat to be *****y then fine i will accept that and move on i guess. not much else to say really..wont let it dwell when someone gives me a hard time. people have thier good and bad days

Baby Boo said:
in any case. to all this.. i am not american nor am i english i am lebnese.. not that it should make a diff. as i do look european. there are racists everywher e and if ppl wnat to be *****y then fine i will accept that and move on i guess. not much else to say really..wont let it dwell when someone gives me a hard time. people have thier good and bad days

Exactally! I was wondering how it turned to speaking of American tourists, but, since it did, I decided to offer my two cents about that several times:yes: :P

I love the Lebanese culture here ! WOW! You are in for a treat! I am going to introduce you to some of the other wonderful Lebanese friends I have here! What a wonderful open culture! You are going to love it!

Baby Boo said:

exactally. Live and let live. It is your best option.:yes:

I'm an Arab and believe me i do get comments from everyone I meet when I travel...some ppl are rude...however, I've been to Paris a few times and yes there were ppl who are rude but surprisingly they weren't French! I believe ull encounter ppl like these everywhere....babyboo learn a few words of french and believe me the French will appreciate this! I always speak French even when they speak English back to me....Paris is a lovely city and I'm sure ull have a wonderful time!! Wish u all the luck :smile:

Jennifer Marvin said:
I am answering this in English out of respect that not so many of us on this forum speak French and might want to know what we are writing about. Your comment about my not understanding French, is not correct. I do understand. I have lived here for many years. I do think that the attitude of the American tourist in Paris is much the same attitude as the Texan tourist in Colorado, so the French do not have a monopoly on picking on tourists. I am sorry, but, in my profession, I am not treated “comme un gros con” I am treated quite the contrary. I make an effort to blend with the culture, which is not difficult for me. I certainly don’t expect everyone to speak English or accept US dollars as payment, which is certainly helpful.

The summers in Paris are a bit more challenging. I did get a little “round about ride” in a taxi the other day, since the cabbie thought I was a tourist who speaks French (can’t hide my accent). I know the ropes, so, I got out at the stop light and gave him the fair as he looked at me in disbelief as I walked to the address on foot. Things like that are just not worth dwelling on, in my opinion.

I think, with age and refinement offered by traveling in the world, we all learn that there are some things you are just better off ignoring. If you pay attention only to the negatives of a place, you will surely find many. I prefer to focus on the positive (I guess that is the American side of me coming out) and find that the rude people are just not worth my time. My eyes and ears are open, but they are much more open to all of the positive things Paris has to offer.

Well I'm gonna keep being française and tell it to you like it is. Listen, we could go at this all day long, but I'm gonna give it to you straight. :censor:

You can look at the bright side of things in life, and that's fine, but let's not also forget about reality either. :blink:

Even when you think you know what French people are saying in french, you're not reading between the lines like you're supposed to. If a French person asks you "How is your friend 'Bob' that I saw the other day? " you might actually take that for an honest inquiry. Instead, that inquiry is really a statement telling you that not only is she suspicious of your marriage, but she thinks you're sleeping around. :roflmfao:

You see, it's not what is said in french that is as important as what is IMPLIED by the statement and/or inquiry. This is something that you can only learn by living an entire LIFETIME in a francophone environment, which you lack. No language school is going to teach you that skill.

What's up with the "Texan tourist in Colorado" analogy? That makes no sense and makes me think you're just some somebody from 'Middle America' that really does not have much experience with metropolitan life. :graucho:

BTW, it's "grosse conne" and not "gros con", unless of course you're a guy, which is an entirely different story. Remember, you can burn our flag, and we won't care, but get one word wrong in a conversation, and we'll hate you and make it known to you :roflmfao:

"I certainly don’t expect everyone to speak English or accept US dollars as payment, which is certainly helpful" <--- OMG, I CAN'T BELEIVE YOU EVEN WROTE THAT - IT'S JUST WRONG ON SO MANY LEVELS. The world does not revolve around American society so to even state that is an insult to anyone outside of that society. Take that mentality back to your farm in Arkansas, population 24 people.

If you were really getting to know French society, you would know that the summers in Paris are the best because everyone's gone on vacation and the city is pretty much emptied of mean French people ( like me :roflmfao: )

Oh, and BTW, we DID cut of Louis XVI's head for Liberty, Egality, and Fraternity, so you can just surmise from that how "direct and to the point" we are. We don't stand for B.S.-ing in French society. We see right through it.

Well, as you can see, my French side did come out this time, but only because you asked so politely :yes:

And just to keep it REAL::censor:

Tu vois je suis irrespectueuse car je suis francaise. Je ne peux rien garder pour moi car nous sommes direct et nous disons ce que nous pensons.

A l'ecole on nous apprends que nous sommes le pays des droits de l'homme Liberte - Egalite - Fraternite. Un pays revolutionaire qui a meme coupe la tete de son roi (Louis XVI) donc on ne se tait pas.

Pour ce qui est du "gros con" , dans le contexte ou on te le dirait ce serait quand meme tres tres irrespectueux car "gros con" est pour un homme, et tu es une femme , a moins que tu nous cache une partie de toi-meme. Bref dans le cas precis tu serais "une grosse conne" (feminin de gros con).

Pour ce qui est de la mechancete gratuite des francais je parle EXACTEMENT de ce qui t'es arrive dans le taxi. Car meme moi ils essaient de m'arnaquer alors que je suis francaise. Pour ton accent c'est pas de chance car il vont en prendre avantage. Moi quand je telephone pour reserver un restaurant a NY qui est full on me trouve toujours de la place car j'ai un cute french accent.

Pour ce qui est de ta vision des choses, continue a etre positive. J'adore les americains, leur ouverture, leur gentillesse.

shoog said:
I'm an Arab and believe me i do get comments from everyone I meet when I travel...some ppl are rude...however, I've been to Paris a few times and yes there were ppl who are rude but surprisingly they weren't French! I believe ull encounter ppl like these everywhere....babyboo learn a few words of french and believe me the French will appreciate this! I always speak French even when they speak English back to me....Paris is a lovely city and I'm sure ull have a wonderful time!! Wish u all the luck :smile:

Hi Shoog,

Everybody who live in france, black, arabs, asian are considered as FRENCH guys because we are talking about the country of the "droit de l'homme et du citoyens" we have a lot of arabs, africans but they are french just like me. In france when we describe someone we talk about the characteristics In america you guys says only the ethnicity. You keep saying africans american there are no such thing in France, you are just french that's it.

MiroirPrincess said:
Well I'm gonna keep being fran&#231;aise and tell it to you like it is. Listen, we could go at this all day long, but I'm gonna give it to you straight. :censor:

You can look at the bright side of things in life, and that's fine, but let's not also forget about reality either. :blink:

Even when you think you know what French people are saying in french, you're not reading between the lines like you're supposed to. If a French person asks you "How is your friend 'Bob' that I saw the other day? " you might actually take that for an honest inquiry. Instead, that inquiry is really a statement telling you that not only is she suspicious of your marriage, but she thinks you're sleeping around. :roflmfao:

You see, it's not what is said in french that is as important as what is IMPLIED by the statement and/or inquiry. This is something that you can only learn by living an entire LIFETIME in a francophone environment, which you lack. No language school is going to teach you that skill.

What's up with the "Texan tourist in Colorado" analogy? That makes no sense and makes me think you're just some somebody from 'Middle America' that really does not have much experience with metropolitan life. :graucho:

BTW, it's "grosse conne" and not "gros con", unless of course you're a guy, which is an entirely different story. Remember, you can burn our flag, and we won't care, but get one word wrong in a conversation, and we'll hate you and make it known to you :roflmfao:

"I certainly don&#8217;t expect everyone to speak English or accept US dollars as payment, which is certainly helpful" <--- OMG, I CAN'T BELEIVE YOU EVEN WROTE THAT - IT'S JUST WRONG ON SO MANY LEVELS. The world does not revolve around American society so to even state that is an insult to anyone outside of that society. Take that mentality back to your farm in Arkansas, population 24 people.

If you were really getting to know French society, you would know that the summers in Paris are the best because everyone's gone on vacation and the city is pretty much emptied of mean French people ( like me :roflmfao: )

Oh, and BTW, we DID cut of Louis XVI's head for Liberty, Egality, and Fraternity, so you can just surmise from that how "direct and to the point" we are. We don't stand for B.S.-ing in French society. We see right through it.

Well, as you can see, my French side did come out this time, but only because you asked so politely :yes:

And just to keep it REAL::censor:

Tu vois je suis irrespectueuse car je suis francaise. Je ne peux rien garder pour moi car nous sommes direct et nous disons ce que nous pensons.

A l'ecole on nous apprends que nous sommes le pays des droits de l'homme Liberte - Egalite - Fraternite. Un pays revolutionaire qui a meme coupe la tete de son roi (Louis XVI) donc on ne se tait pas.

Pour ce qui est du "gros con" , dans le contexte ou on te le dirait ce serait quand meme tres tres irrespectueux car "gros con" est pour un homme, et tu es une femme , a moins que tu nous cache une partie de toi-meme. Bref dans le cas precis tu serais "une grosse conne" (feminin de gros con).

Pour ce qui est de la mechancete gratuite des francais je parle EXACTEMENT de ce qui t'es arrive dans le taxi. Car meme moi ils essaient de m'arnaquer alors que je suis francaise. Pour ton accent c'est pas de chance car il vont en prendre avantage. Moi quand je telephone pour reserver un restaurant a NY qui est full on me trouve toujours de la place car j'ai un cute french accent.

Pour ce qui est de ta vision des choses, continue a etre positive. J'adore les americains, leur ouverture, leur gentillesse.

I will not have this silly conversation with you. I have "wordly" experience, and I think this is just ridiculous.

good day and good bye.

(oh, and, by the way, Frenchmen often swoon and tell me my american accent is adorable=)

Baby Boo said:

Baby Boo! you have to go the Noura restaurant, it's a very chic libanese restaurant Rue Pierre 1er De Serbie. I love libanese and a lot of french have origins from lebonon. Im sure you will learn french very quick, what kind of job are you gonna do in Paris?