French Fries- HELP!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Ok so i feel so stupid to post this but i want to know how i can make french fries the way i want & do it right! I want them soft & golden brown! When i make them, i fill a pot with oil, most of the time Mazola oil which i think is corn oil & sometimes vegtable oil. So tonight i did it with Mazola & i wait until the oil gets hot (i keep the heat on mid to high) & i cooked them for about 20 minutes. They all floated to the top & were looking dry so i took them out. They were crisy on the outside & soft inside. Fine but i want them really soft & golden brown! How do i get them like that?

The other day my grandmother made some & they came out soooo dry inside & out! They were like chips! They once turned out that way for me. A few weeks ago i made them at my boyfriends & they came out just the way i like them but i forget if i used vegtable or canola oil. Does it matter the type of potatoes? I think i was using just some regular white ones tonight. I think my bf's mother uses yukon or golden.

Any tips or info is greatly appreciated! I always crave homemade fries!

2. You should buy a candy thermometer to monitor the heat. And yes, the type of potatoes does matter; they have different starch content.

3. Double-frying is usually a good idea too - first fry them until almost done, in batches (don't try to do too much at once, it'll lower the oil temperature) and then let them drain off on paper. Just before serving, fry them again for a few minutes.

4. How thick you cut them is a factor too- if you make larger fries, they are more likely to be softer inside and crunch outside. If you do small skinny strips, they are going to be crunchier overall b/c of the thinness.

5. You could try oven fries too...that's what I do and family loves them...and alot healthier for you.

Cut up your potatoes and put them in a bowl, toss them with olice oil and salt. Use just enough olive oil to coat the potatoes, about a tablespoon.

Spread them out on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes.

6. I use red potatoes for my fries...they come out light golden brown & soft on the inside...yummy!

7. Thanks everyone!

8. I slice and parboil mine first, lay on a pan lined with paper towels to soak up the water, THEN fry. Parboiling helps get them soft on the inside so you can cook the quicker for a crunchy outside. Perfect everytime.

9. So by parboiling, how long do you do this for? My mother always reminds me to soak the water with paper towels because the oil can explode or something!

Also, what kind of oil does everybody use here to fry?

10. I do the same thing :tup: