French Connection UK Sizing

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi all!

Today I bought a beautiful white ruffled skirt from French Connection-- it's cotton and either polyster or nylon.

I normally wear a size 5/6--even at stores that fit funny, and my dress size (which usually runs a size smaller than normal clothes) is 4/6.

Well, I tried on the skirt at French Connection and the 6 wasn't close to fitting me. I have belly pudge but things in size 6 always fit fine. But, if I were to zip up that size 6 skirt it'd be hiked up all the way past my belly button. So, I had to go up to a size 8. I've never bought anything else from them before so I wouldn't know from experience what my size there is actually supposed to be. The skirt doesn't stretch at all but I didn't think that would be a problem.

I haven't worn any size larger than 6 since I was in the process of losing weight, maybe two years ago. I'm not sure what's happening. I googled this and a lot of people said their clothing actually runs a size bigger?? So...does that mean I'm supposed to be a size 10 and all this time all the other stores are just lying to me about my size? :wtf:

Please keep in mind, I'm not complaining about my size, but I'm just confused as to why I need to go up a size bigger when a ton of people are saying they need to go down a size. Could it be...because Canadian sizing is different than US sizing? Any FC UK shoppers to speak up here?

TIA!

ETA: I put the FC-UK skirt on top of another black cotton skirt that I bought today, size 5, and the top has the exact same width, and they sit on the exact same spot on my hips. Now I'm thinking their clothing runs smaller...for me at least. Thoughts?

2. Anyone?

3. I'm in the US so I'm not sure if FCUK is labeling their sizes differently in Canada. I do find that their sizes run a bit bigger than other UK (Reiss) and Euro (Sisley, D&G, Miss Sixty) brands. I would say FCUK sizing is comparable to Club Monaco, and perhaps a slight smaller than BR if that helps.

4. i am normally a size 4/6 (when i'm not pregnant) but with FCUK i buy a size 8. hope that's helpful.

5. That's very helpful, thanks makeupmama and bubble. They must put sizes differently in the US then. I do find Club Monaco and BR sizes SUPER big. Even XS is too big for me sometimes.