free trip -- would you accept?

The offer seems to good to be true. Trust me, I have been in a similar position before, albeit not nearly as exotic as your offer, and the offerer always wants something in return. Go with your gut instinct--if your gut instinct is saying no, then by all means, pay attention to it!

If you go w/everything "comped" you are going to pay...how and when I wouldn't venture to guess, but that day will come-I suggest saying something like I'll take you up on it next year...12 more months of knowing this guy and his life will make the decision easier, IMO.

But do you think it's suspicious that a man who barely knows me is offering this? Even though it probably costs him nothing to comp my stay? (But the plane ticket, does that cost him nothing too?) I'm not a celebrity....

And, should I go to Italy afterwards? (Because this other person offered to fly me over because he's going to be there too ... it's vacation time at the business school.)

I think there may be a little more to this offer than meets the eye...

Be careful, sonya! :flowers:

Have you ever heard of date-rape drugs? I'm not saying he's a predator, just agreeing that this would be a vulnerable situation, and some guys don't take 'no' for an answer.

I too have been in similar situations years ago. I made it clear I wasn't willing to participate. They acted offended I even thought it was a ploy for sex. Some guys with alot of money are generous & not just after sex. Glad I knew those kind & not the ones you all mention. Rape is rape, there is no contributory negligence.
Believe me, when you get older you regret some roads not taken.
Take a friend, pay your own flight & have a back up plan. These will make it easier to not be in a room alone with him.

sonya, i would love to hear what you decide to do! a friend (good friend at that) has offered me a similar trip and i am reluctant to go because i think he may want our friendship to turn into something more.

Hmm, tricky one. he could just be a genuine decent guy, he could be dodgy or he could just like you and want to spend more time with you? See if you could take a friend with you perhaps? People will know where you're going and if anything doesn't seem right just leave.
Please let us know what you have decided!

If I was romantically interested in this guy and felt that we had a connection, I'd go in a heartbeat! But if I was weary and had my doubts...I'd bring a friend with me, if I even go at all. I can see you have your doubts...so I'd suggest declining the invitation or bringing along a friend and paying for your own flight. Good luck with your decision!