Freaking out!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hello everyone!

I am 5 1/2 weeks pregnant and I am so excited...but the excitement is overshadowed with worry...last December I had a miscarriage and I am terrified it will happen again.

I definitely have symptoms of early pregnancy, such as tenderness of the breasts, fatigue, and nausea, though I have not had morning sickness yet. But I had none of this with the first pregnancy.

So the problem, last Sunday I had some brown discharge (gross, sorry I know), and then tonight I had a bit of brown discharge again. I've been having dull cramps here or there from the beginning, which I've been told is normal due to the growth of the uterus, hormones, implantation. I know what a miscarriage feels like, strong jabbing pains, and I have none of that.

But I'm still very nervous because of the brown discharge those two times.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Of course this happens on a Friday night on a Holiday weekend, so I will have to wait until at least Monday, possibly Tuesday to call my Dr. Arghhh!

2. i wouldn't worry too much about it. some discharge is normal during pregnancy. as long as it's not bright red bleeding, you're probably fine. i understand the worry though. i would monitor it until tuesday when you can call your doctor to have it checked out. hope it's nothing. congrats on your pregnancy!

3. Thank you so much for your kind response. It means a lot. Just talking about it a little has alleviated some of the stress. It only happened two times so far so hopefully everything will work out. Now it's just a waiting game.

My first prenatal exam is in two weeks, so hopefully they won't make me wait until then!

4. I had cramping and a bit of discharge during the early weeks of my pregnancy. I was told that it was just ligaments down there stretching as the baby grows bes. I agree with the other post that some discharge is okay but if there is any bright red blood then call the doctor. Hoping that everything turns out okay and congrats.

5. You poor thing... I went through the EXACT same thing when I was pregnant with Brianna. I had a miscarriage in April last year and then I got pregnant with Brianna in July. About a month into the pregnancy I had cramping that was similar to my miscarriage and some very light spotting that was bright red. I was worried so bad that night I told my husband that I was probably having a miscarriage again and that I was sorry. I was almost 100% sure that I was miscarrying, but lo and behold I wasn`t at all. It was just normal cramping, but to me I thought it was the same cramping I had when I was miscarrying.

I waited it out until my next dr. app`t since I figured there was nothing I could really do, and a week later when I went there, there was the heartbeat, nice and strong. I was so relieved. I had very dark brown spotting with my first pregnancy, but that came way after the severe cramping I had a week prior. I have heard that many women have brown spotting and it can be quite normal.

When is your next app`t with your doctor. PM me if you`d like to chat!! Please try not to worry too much (I know that`s hard to do). Take care!

6. You can always go to the emergency room too if you can`t wait. When I was about 7-8 months pregnant I tripped over someone`s bag at the bowling alley and was worried so I went to the emergency room to find out that everything was okay. You can just tell them about the brown discharge and your past history and I`m sure they`ll check you out.

7. Brown is fine, even spotting can be fine.

I had massive red bleeding with my first pregnancy, at times appeared to be bleeding buckets. It all turned out fine, definitely scary though.

If you start bleeding to where you soak a pad quickly, call your dr quick. Brown spotting is totally fine though.

8. LA, I just wanted to let you know that I also experienced brown spotting with my last pregnancy. My gyn told me that it was basically my body cleaning out the "old" stuff, know what I mean?

9. Thank you so much for your kind response!

10. Thank you so much for responding...I'm so happy everything worked out for you, your daughter is gorgeous! And such a pretty name!

I haven't had an appt yet because my OB/GYN's policy is to wait until at least 8 weeks before the first exam. My appt isn't scheduled until Sept. 19th. I even asked them if I should be seen earlier because of my history, but they said they normally don't do that. Luckily I haven't seen any more spotting since last night, but I will be calling in on Monday (or Tuesday if they aren't open) and I will definitely ask about it, and hopefully they will see me and check everything.

I will most definitely go to the ER if any bleeding occurs and call the on call Dr.

I think I just need peace of mind...these first few weeks are rough when you've miscarried.

But I'm glad to see that there are happy endings, like in your case. Now you have a beautiful daughter.

11. And I will definitely give an update! Thanks everyone for the support!

12. there isn't really anything they can check for you. brown spotting is just old blood, likely broken capillaries or the like. there isn't anything they can do so early.

just try to relax, rest your legs up, drink plenty of water and go to your scheduled appt. i think you'll be fine. stress is not good for pregnancy, so you have to really try to relax and don't think of anything negative.

13. Thank you, that eases my mind a bit. :smile: I know I need to work on the stress, it's probably worse for the baby than anything.

14. That's probably true there isn't anything they can do for you if you were having a miscarriage or lost the baby, but at least you wouldn't have to wait so long to find out just for peace of mind.

Just as an fyi, I went to a high risk doctor because I was 41 when I got pregnant with Brianna and already had a miscarriage. Diabetes also runs in my family and I wanted to be monitored more closely. They saw me every 2-3 weeks which was awesome, so even when I worried I knew I would be going in soon. With every appointment I was reassured everything was fine. I can totally understand worrying and I think it's perfectly normal, especially after a miscarriage. I was the same exact way and DH had to constantly remind me everything will be okay. If you read the "Pregnant How is it going thread" you'll read a lot of my posts where I worried over everything.

Is your cramping similar to your first miscarriage? I thought mine was, but it really wasn't at all, it was all in my head.

Please take care and just try and put your worries out of your head. Just because you had a miscarriage the last time does not mean it will happen again.

PM me if you would ever like to talk!!! Oh, and thanks so much for the kind words about Brianna. She is the light of my life!!!

15. Thanks for being so sweet!

No, my cramping isn't similar to my miscarriage at all. It's more like dull menstrual cramps...I had those more when I had just found out about a week and a half ago. They've sort of stopped, but every once in a while I will get one.

My cramps when I was having the miscarriage doubled me over. They were sharp pains.

Now that I've had time to calm down, I do feel that this problem was built up into something terrible in my head, just because I don't want to go through another miscarriage...especially when having children is what I want most!

Luckily this time around, I'm actually having symptoms of pregnancy, like my body is changing, I'm nauseous at times, and very tired. With my first pregnancy, I had none of that. I felt no different really, which may have been because the pregnancy ended before it even started.

I haven't had anymore discharge so that's good as well. Maybe it was just the last of implantation?

Anyway, I'm still calling the Dr. just to ask about it, and I have a few other things I'd like to ask anyway. And it's better to be safe than sorry. They know my history, so maybe they can give me a little insight.

It's really helped talking with all of you about this though, I must say! Thank you everyone, especially you, sugarjaws! I will PM you and let you know what they say at the Dr. office when I speak to them.