FREAK Incident - Patina Advice Needed!!

Pkac

Nov 16, 2018
Today I experienced an awful incident at a shopping mall, where I washed my hands
in the ladies toilet and one of the soap dispensers had been filled with very strong bleach instead of hand soap.
It completely ruined my blue linen top (the front has bleach splash marks all over it) along with the vachetta on one side of my Neverfull, thank god my two year old daughter who was with me did not the use the soap also. Really awful and I’m currently waiting to hear back from the centre management, they have told me they want to complete an investigation on how it happened first.
I am not holding my breath regarding them compensating me for the full cost of my bag, which I purchased January this year, but I’m thinking maybe I can at least insist that they cover the cost for me to have the vachetta strap on that side replaced. Is anyone able to advise me as to how long it would take for the patina to catch up to the other side, if at all? I’ve put some pics below just for reference. Thanks in advance.

C84FAF80-F692-44FF-8AB2-ECF92935A74E.jpeg89EACCE1-DEB5-45CC-87D4-19E5D30277FC.jpeg6F2B5562-A2AA-447E-B755-BB97160B961D.jpeg

This seems really odd, I wonder if a member of the public did this as a prank. Either way, it’s not funny.

That looks like water stains to me which would have happened with plain water or normal hand soap as well. I’m not sure how you will go getting them to pay for your vachetta replacement, but if I were you I would leave it rather than just get that one side replaced. It will always look odd. Alternatively, get all the vachetta replaced.

It’s an unfortunate incident for you and I hope you are able to get your bag fixed and top replaced.

I am so sorry that this happened to you. Unbelieveble. Hopefully you did not get skin reactions and are ok!
:smile:

The strap can be replaced but for me your bag looks good :yes:, I think the vachetta will wear over time and the spots ”wear out”. Regardless I hope you are well compensated.

I certainly hope that wasn't bleach! My goodness! Could've been much worse. Thankfully you and your daughter are OK. I think over time it'll all darken a bit and blend together. In the meantime, if it was bleach they need to get that out of there before they have an even bigger issue.

I certainly hope that wasn't bleach! My goodness! Could've been much worse. Thankfully you and your daughter are OK. I think over time it'll all darken a bit and blend together. In the meantime, if it was bleach they need to get that out of there before they have an even bigger issue.
It was definitely bleach! Here’s a pic of my top after I had washed my hands. It was only one of the soap dispensers in the toilet, the rest were not contaminated. I immediately informed customer service who confirmed it was indeed bleach in that dispenser and they put an out of order sign on it. They are now undergoing an investigation with the cleaning company.

E7234499-7D03-4982-8513-9A8CC9601FB3.jpeg9B1FB700-1131-44A3-9229-75DB3EB7944B.jpeg

This seems really odd, I wonder if a member of the public did this as a prank. Either way, it’s not funny.

That looks like water stains to me which would have happened with plain water or normal hand soap as well. I’m not sure how you will go getting them to pay for your vachetta replacement, but if I were you I would leave it rather than just get that one side replaced. It will always look odd. Alternatively, get all the vachetta replaced.

It’s an unfortunate incident for you and I hope you are able to get your bag fixed and top replaced.
Here’s a pic of the bleach remnants on the sink, to me the marks on the bag look like a similar colour?? Thank you for the advice to not get that one side replaced. I was wondering if it would just always remain mismatched. 45E06D06-0EA4-43B6-8256-11A4D5BB6CFB.jpeg4888864F-26B9-4D3B-812F-3A82D5F8C89F.jpeg

Thanks for the advice. Do you have any idea approximately how much it would be to have all of the vachetta replaced? (I am in Singapore).
And yes, my dad actually raised the possibility with me of it not being due to a negligent cleaner but potentially a member of the public tampering with it. Very awful if so. It could have really done some damage if it had gotten into anyone’s eyes!

It was definitely bleach! Here’s a pic of my top after I had washed my hands. It was only one of the soap dispensers in the toilet, the rest were not contaminated. I immediately informed customer service who confirmed it was indeed bleach in that dispenser and they put an out of order sign on it. They are now undergoing an investigation with the cleaning company.

View attachment 5592975View attachment 5592989
Oh my goodness!!!

Reactions: Pkac
Here’s a pic of the bleach remnants on the sink, to me the marks on the bag look like a similar colour?? Thank you for the advice to not get that one side replaced. I was wondering if it would just always remain mismatched. View attachment 5592980View attachment 5592981
I wouldn't get it replaced, but if you plan to, maybe file a claim to see if the facility will cover the cost. Shouldn't be a high cost.

Thanks for the advice. Do you have any idea approximately how much it would be to have all of the vachetta replaced? (I am in Singapore).
And yes, my dad actually raised the possibility with me of it not being due to a negligent cleaner but potentially a member of the public tampering with it. Very awful if so. It could have really done some damage if it had gotten into anyone’s eyes!
I had all of the vachetta replaced on both my Speedy 40 and large Noe, and both cost about $600. But they both look brand new. I'm sorry this happened to you. What a freak accident.

I'm so sorry this happened to you :sad: hope you and your girl are OK, and you didn't get any skin burn. just saw a post in another thread of someone who recently sent her neverfull at ION for repair. Sgd 360 for both handles, Sgd 90 each side strap, Sgd 90 for top binding.

I'm so sorry this happened to you :sad: hope you and your girl are OK, and you didn't get any skin burn. just saw a post in another thread of someone who recently sent her neverfull at ION for repair. Sgd 360 for both handles, Sgd 90 each side strap, Sgd 90 for top binding.
Thanks, that’s really helpful!!

I have a question, I got my keepall bandouliere 60 repaired, nearly all the bags leather minus the left side (piping and leather strip going up) & the shoulder strap, I had those done last year. There isn’t too much of a difference but enough for me to notice. Suggestions on how to even the patina over the rest of the bag? Currently it’s in my sunroom, I took the strap off as to not get it any darker. Thanks for any suggestions and tips! image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg