Frayed and Popped Stitching on brand new purses

Hey Folks,

Chanel newbie here! I’ve made my first Chanel handbag purchases lately and wanted to know if the stitching issues that I’ve ran into are normal.

I purchased a brand new so black coco mini handle from Neimans and the stitching at the bottom of the purse was frayed. I ended up exchanging for a new one because of this. My SA arranged for the exchange with no questions asked.

not too long afterwards I bought a black classic caviar jumbo from saks. It arrived today and stitching on the bottom of the purse was popped yet again. I again requested an exchange because I know it would bother me personally. I can’t justify paying that much for a purse with a defect. Waiting to hear back from my SA on next steps but they’ve set aside a purse for me.

Is this (stitching issues) normal? I expected the quality of purses that are several thousands of dollars to be much better than this. These quality control issues are making me think how my purse will fair years down the road.
Also if it helps, with covid, I am phoning my orders in so I see photos beforehand but I’m not personally examining The purse before it’s shipped to me.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you for sharing. Good to know (but also unfortunate) that it’s not just me running into these issues. Initially, I felt a little bad for having to exchange them but your comment made me feel better about doing so. Thanks again. :smile:

Reactions: xy9794
It’s not normal, but a bad batch. But it does happen since it’s sewn on. I had a brand new caviar mini (back then), and after two uses the stitches came out. I sent it in for repair since it was the last mini from that season

Reactions: Eyecandy112486
I’ve had this problem too on a phone holder with chain. The first one had a crooked turnlock. The second one has a popped stitch at the back. It isn’t that visible and I know it can be repaired but that’s not the point. I can’t get another as sold out or reserved as soon as it comes in. Still deciding whether to keep or not. I don’t often buy from boutique now as I’m searching for preloved older pieces but the newer boutique items appear to have endless quality issues which you’re made to feel crazy when or if you raise it. Ridiculous really when you consider the price we pay for these items.

I would not accept a purse with a popped stitch. Chanel isn't great about repairing things so if there's a defect now, it'll be a pain to get it fixed. Classic jumbos are not hard to come by so you can just keep exchanging it until you get the right one.

I don't think these types of defects are normal. I have five Chanel bags, three of which are brand new and that I bought in the last 2-3 years and all of them I purchased sight unseen (two of them I didn't even get a picture sent to me), and none of them have defects / issues like this. I think you just had really bad luck with these purchases.

Last edited:
Im following this thread...
I’m just curious if the store has informed you if this stitching issue is not ‘fixable’ and would rather find you a replacement?
I have recently discovered an area on my small flap but it has been 6 months since I got it...so not sure if I should bring it in for them to take a look at... For the price we pay, it is not acceptable.

E952BA53-C96A-45A0-BAD5-6E5937FB635B.jpeg

Hey Folks,

Chanel newbie here! I’ve made my first Chanel handbag purchases lately and wanted to know if the stitching issues that I’ve ran into are normal.

I purchased a brand new so black coco mini handle from Neimans and the stitching at the bottom of the purse was frayed. I ended up exchanging for a new one because of this. My SA arranged for the exchange with no questions asked.

not too long afterwards I bought a black classic caviar jumbo from saks. It arrived today and stitching on the bottom of the purse was popped yet again. I again requested an exchange because I know it would bother me personally. I can’t justify paying that much for a purse with a defect. Waiting to hear back from my SA on next steps but they’ve set aside a purse for me.

Is this (stitching issues) normal? I expected the quality of purses that are several thousands of dollars to be much better than this. These quality control issues are making me think how my purse will fair years down the road.
Also if it helps, with covid, I am phoning my orders in so I see photos beforehand but I’m not personally examining The purse before it’s shipped to me.

Did they try to convince you that it’s due to ‘wear & tear’??

I’m just curious if the store has informed you if this stitching issue is not ‘fixable’ and would rather find you a replacement?
I have recently discovered an area on my small flap but it has been 6 months since I got it...so not sure if I should bring it in for them to take a look at... For the price we pay, it is not acceptable.

View attachment 4841919
Hi there!

they just went ahead and sent me a replacement. It took them a day or so to make a decision, which was weird being that the purse was brand new and just delivered to me.It’s not like I could’ve damaged it that bad in such a short period of time (an hour after it was delivered). But ultimately, they did send me out a flawless flap bag via an exchange process. If I were you, I’d definitely try. I would recommend starting with the SA that you purchased it from. That’s what I did and it worked.

Reactions: Bagventures

View attachment 4841919
omg for 6 months this is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE ... 110% bring it back and speak to 5 managers if you have to !!!

No, luckily they didn’t. I was afraid I would get some pushback like this, but surprisingly I didn’t.
I’m glad you got another replacement right away. I finally brought mine back to the store for repairs. They told me it will most likely take 3-4 months to get it fixed. However, it be assessed first and they will let me know if it is fixable. I’m still not sure what’s going to happen if they told me it can’t be done. I’ll have to wait and see...

Reactions: Eyecandy112486
I’m glad you got another replacement right away. I finally brought mine back to the store for repairs. They told me it will most likely take 3-4 months to get it fixed. However, it be assessed first and they will let me know if it is fixable. I’m still not sure what’s going to happen if they told me it can’t be done. I’ll have to wait and see...

Thank you. Wow, that’s a pretty long time for repairing. I hope that they don’t try to charge you an arm and a leg for the repair, especially since you’ve only had the bag for 6 months.
I’m curious to know what they end up doing. Keep us updated!

Reactions: Bagventures
Hey Folks,

Hello I’m glad I found your post. I just received my WOC and it seems like I have the same problem with the stitching. It’s doesn’t look like a loose or excess stitching, it’s frayed I guess. I have the picture below would you help me to take a look and give me an advice that should I keep it to fix or just exchange the new one? Thank you

Attachments

• 77386583-BD63-478D-AB2D-D12005A30AC5.jpeg
    77386583-BD63-478D-AB2D-D12005A30AC5.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 158