Scarves Framing a Hermes scarf

I have a fixation kit and love it! Here's a picture.

attachment.php

H scarf is a piece of art, just like their bags! However, I have heard that it is not a preferred way to “use” a scarf, especially in a sunlit room, as it will cause fading.
Don’t know, but what a gorgeous way to decorate the house!

theKelly1Day's right about fading, ketap ~ if you do go with a traditional frame have them use UV blocking glass or plexiglass. it's also best to use an acid-free, archival mat to avoid damage to the textile. but if it's cost prohibitive you can go with the UV blocking glass and skip the archival mat ~ sun fading can occur quite rapidly, but damage from non-acid free materials will take MUCH longer. finally, there needs to be a spacer between the glass and the scarf so there's some air space for the silk to breathe.

I am totaly with dressage queen, but as for sun fading:

most of the so called protective UV glasses just block 10% of the sun-light.
There are special ones which work better: UV-Protect/Miroguard - but they are not clear anymore and super expensive and even that one won't help for more than 50%.

The only way: NO LIGHT!, no heat AND very dry walls!

Reactions: prepster
Conservation glass is the standard in the textile world for framing as it filters 97% of UV light (according to what my framer told me). There's a lot of debate in the textile world about framing under glass in the first place - textiles need to breathe, as Dressage Queen said, and I never put glass over my needlepoint pieces. Definitely acid free conservation quality matting materials throughout the entire frame, not just the materials touching the scarf.

Framing textiles is an art, so ask your framer how they are going to attach the scarf to the matte board - if they say anything other than lacing or rust free tacks, you might want to look elsewhere.

Edited to add - in rereading this, I hope I didn't sound too pretentious and know-it-all in my post. This subject is a passion of mine and I've seen several people who's work was non-fixable and they were so disappointed. I'm sure any H scarf would look beautiful framed and would only encourage people to ask a lot of questions of their framers so they get the best possible result.

Last edited:
Reactions: OneMoreDay
I am so excited to add to this thread. I have two of my favorite scarves framed. I also included a little picture of some cute Hermes boxes stacked on my dresser. And I threw in a pic of my old beat up vintage LV trunk which presently serves as my tv stand :smile: I have never attached pictures before so I hope I do it right :smile:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76000776@N05/sets/72157630455666152/

Is the orange one a limited edition Josef Albers scarf? Both are gorgeous, and you have such great style!