foundation - why?

1. Hi! We are running a fun little TPF community giveaway to win a new Polene bag! Head over to this thread to enter. Good luck!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hey,
    I was just contemplating the reasoning behind the need to wear foundation. Many people could say I have not had much experience since I am 16 but everyone at my school that wears it seems to have bad skin and others who dont wear it do not. I personally (as you have probably guessed) do NOT wear it, I've heard the rumors that it blocks your pores and gives you even more spots - so I stay well clear. My skin is relatively spot free but does NOT look as good as some foundation wearers as itdoesnt have that sheen. So I was wondering should I take the plunge and start wearing it or not?
    thanks x

2. Why not start wearing foundation? To clarify the myth that foundation/make-up in general clogs up pores and cause breakouts...It will only clog up if you DON'T use a good base(includes a moisturizer/sunscreen) and don't PROPERLY REMOVE THE MAKE-UP (a milk cleanser works, an oil-cleanser is great too).
    If you're too afraid to wear foundation, try using a tinted moisturizer first. (Laura Mercier and Bobbi Brown do really good ones. I personally like Bobbi Brown as it gives a really nice sheen).
    =)

3. I don't wear foundation. Every makeup counter that I go to tell me that I have "good" skin. Plus, foundation makes me look old and I feel like my face is melting. I just use bronze powder by Prescriptives.

If you don't have blemishes or uneven skin, you don't need foundation.

4. thats a really good idea - I will try that thanks :smile:

5. vogue is right, try the tinted moisturizers first. i think you might actually like it better and it's not as heavy as foundation.

6. being 16, you probably don't need it. i'm a decade older and i only use it on weekends. for me, foundation noticeably evens out my skin tone. if you were interested, you should start off with a light foundation. i would recommend MAC Select Tint ($24). It is the most sheer foundation MAC created and it gives you a subtle sheen while offering protection in the form of SPF. you would probably love it. That or the Studio Fix foundation/powder combo. You apply it like powder, except it's got foundation in it too. happy hunting!

7. I didn't wear make-up until I had to in my mid-20s, but I was a different kind of gal- very low-maintenance. I would start with tinted moisturizer. I really like Chanel. Goes on easily and the smell is very nice. Good luck.

8. I didn't wear it when I was your age either, and my 13-year-old daughter doesn't need it. I need some serious *spackling* now, though! I've got rosacea and adult acne, so I need the coverage or I wouldn't wear it. Ah, for the days when all I had to do was put some eye makeup on.

9. I wore foundation when I went to college because I loved it. There's no right age, just what you're comfortable with. But remember you do need sunscreen!

10. I agree w/ Coachwife.
    I've always had a more 'natural' appearance, minimal make up.
    I recently tried Chanel's tinted moisturizer and it's amazing.
    Foudation is just too much coverage for a lot of us.

11. ITA!!!:yes: :yes:

12. Older skin isn't as even-toned as young skin. My skin color is uneven, so some kind of foundation evens it out. I'd prefer to go without make-up and around the house I do, but going out calls for some work.

13. I don't use foundation. Tinted Moisturizer is all I need. In the winter I add just a touch of powder to take some of the shine off and that's it. My regular SAs tell me I don't need foundation. It's the random SAs that I think try to take my money by convincing me I MUST have foundation.

14. i don't wear much makeup on a daily basis... i usually go w/o foundation, and dab a bit of concealer on blemishes. i just don't have the time nor patience for makeup, unless i'm going out on weekends.

if your skin is already nice and even-toned, you probably don't need it.

15. I wear foundation/powder depending because mine has SPF as Im too lazy to put on sunscreen separately as most i've tried are quite oily. =)