Foundation Recommendations for Pale Skin?

luxe K

Apr 26, 2009
I have extremely fair skin with redness around my chin and nose. It is fairly sensitive and can be (if using the wrong product) acne-prone. The only foundation color I know of that matches my skin color perfectly is the lightest shade from Covergirl TruBlend in Ivory. NARS Mont Blanc is a tinge too dark, but I can make it work. I have tried Lorac's lightest shades and they are too dark. All the foundations I try are either too yellow or dark for my pale skin.

The problem with the CG is that it does not provide enough coverage and it does not have much staying power on my skin. I find myself really needing to do touchups throughout the day.

I'm looking for a foundation that has good coverage, anything but sheer. I would like a more neutral shade, not one that leans toward pink or yellow hues. I have tried every drugstore brand and only CG Is light enough. Price is not an issue, I just need to find something that works well for me! Are there any other super pale gals out there? What have you found that works for you?

I'm also looking for the best loose powder to set the foundation. Any help? TIA! :smile:

I am very fair too and have the same issue with finding a pale shade. The only one light enough for me is Laura Mercier moisturising liquid foundation in porcelain ivory, which is very pale. Coverage is sheer to medium though so you would have to try to see if it is enough. I use the LM mineral powder also in soft porcelain over it if i need more coverage, which also sets it nicely.
Shiseido was the only other liquid foundation I found light enough (shade wise), but the coverage was a bit heavy. Therefore I got rid, so I can't tell you the colour- sorry.
My skin is also sensitive, but I had no issue with either of these.
Shu Uemura colourless sheer powder also works over the LM well for a slightly lighter touch than the LM mineral powder.

I'm in much the same boat as you color wise and sensitivity. I'm not a big fan of liquid foundation and prefer powder formulations. I use Diorskin Nude foundation in 01 which is a loose powder foundation and absolutely love it. I also use Diorskin Forever foundation in 01 and like it as well. For my redness, I use more like a concealer/foundation a new Urban Decay product called Surreal Skin Cream to Powder in Illusion. While it is more on the yellowy side, it covers the redness in my cheeks, around my nose and chin area fabulously and blends into my regular powder foundation (whichever Dior I'm using) very well. Both of the Dior foundations provide good non-sheer coverage. The UD provides near opaque coverage if used as a full face foundation. Hope this helps!

i use maybelline mousse foundation in classic ivory. i am very pale as well but prone to red spots too (especially under my eyes and on my upper cheek area). it definitely works well for me. i find it to have excellent coverage on my zits and red areas, and it's definitely affordable as well. i like the mousse texture, it really covers well. good luck!

I have sensitive, pale, combination skin.

I use Smashbox tinted moisturizer in Luminous and the Smashbox Halo powder on top. It stays much better than the foundation I used to use, and doesn't cake. The powder is a splurge, but it lasts forever.

I'm always looking for the "perfect" foundation as I am also very pale with red around chin and nose. I've tried some really great formulas Smashbox, Shisedo, Estee Lauder, NARS, Chanel, Revlon, Lancome and the lightest colors are too dark for me. Laura Mercer and Stila - the color looks "off" on me. Bobbi Brown porcelain is too pink and the next shade warm ivory is too yellow. MAC doesn't work for me either. Dior, Make up Forever and Lancome are either a shade too dark or make me look too pale in an unhealthy looking way.

Prescriptives does custom color, Trish McEvoy has neutrals if they match you coloring.

What has worked for me the best is Giorgio Armani Lasting Silk (with UV) in #2. I've tried the luminous silk and the color is good but doesn't stay on my very dry skin as well as the Lasting does. Their #6 blush is a good rosy tone. I also found a bronzer in Armani that doesn't turn orange on me. The powder I use for touch ups is MAC. I do also use a primer (Smashbox) under the foundation. For mineral foundation - Bare Escentuals in Fairly Light works.

I'm always interested in make up suggestions for pale skin. Thanks for sharing!

I have the same problem as you, I'm extremely extremely pale with a little bit of redness. The ones that I found to work are: Diorskin, MAC and MUFE, with Guerlain meteorites to set the foundation. I especially love MUFE because it's got good coverage and matches my pale skincolor perfectly!

Fair skin here! Very ruddy pink pink pink.

Here are my favorites:

Tarte ReCreate in 00 porcelain
MUFE High Def, shade 115
MAC Studio Fix fluid, NW15
MAC Studio Sculpt, NW15 (this is what I'm wearing in my avatar)

Each have their pros and cons...I love that MAC's have SPF 15 in them, but they are still a touch too yellow for me and need to be blended carefully. Tarte is great coverage but the pump dispenser blows. MUFE gives superb coverage but no spf.

Hope that helps! I'm going to check out this thread too for more ideas!

XXXOO PG

I haven't tried MAC NW15. I've tried the NC15 which the MA's always steer me to but it is too pink. I wonder if they have a neutral in between the NW and NC. I'm going to have to find out and try the NW15. I love MAC's blush baby blush as I also have problems with blush going too orange on me.

I've tired the Tarte as soon as it came out and believe it or not it is too dark. I have a funny skin color I guess where for example the lightest color is sometimes too washed out and the next up is too dark.

Haven't heard of MUFE? Where do you find it?

Haven't tried the Guerlain meteorites - sounds like a trip to Sephora is in store for me.

try illamasqua!
their lightest foundation is almost white, you'll definitely find a matching color there.
it's a UK based brand, but sephora has started selling their line recently.
here's a comparison pic from specktra.net:

Attachments

• illa.jpg
    illa.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 2,743
I have the same problem as you, I'm extremely extremely pale with a little bit of redness. The ones that I found to work are: Diorskin, MAC and MUFE, with Guerlain meteorites to set the foundation. I especially love MUFE because it's got good coverage and matches my pale skincolor perfectly!

Which MUFE shade worked for you? I'm looking online and there are quite a few paler looking shades, I'm not sure which one I should go with. :smile:

try illamasqua!
their lightest foundation is almost white, you'll definitely find a matching color there.
it's a UK based brand, but sephora has started selling their line recently.
here's a comparison pic from specktra.net:

Wow, that is incredible! I found on the Illamasqua blog site a bunch of swatches from their rich liquid foundation. I also found the brand on Sephora. I think I'll have to order quite a few of the lighter shades to find the right one, as the swatches still don't give me the best idea. I feel like 135 might be right.
Here's a link to the swatches: http://illamasqua.blogspot.com/2009/07/ultimate-foundation-swatch-part-1-rich.html

I haven't tried MAC NW15. I've tried the NC15 which the MA's always steer me to but it is too pink. I wonder if they have a neutral in between the NW and NC. I'm going to have to find out and try the NW15. I love MAC's blush baby blush as I also have problems with blush going too orange on me.

I've tired the Tarte as soon as it came out and believe it or not it is too dark. I have a funny skin color I guess where for example the lightest color is sometimes too washed out and the next up is too dark.

Haven't heard of MUFE? Where do you find it?

Haven't tried the Guerlain meteorites - sounds like a trip to Sephora is in store for me.

It's Makeup For Ever and I get it at Sephora! :biggrin:

Wow, that is incredible! I found on the Illamasqua blog site a bunch of swatches from their rich liquid foundation. I also found the brand on Sephora. I think I'll have to order quite a few of the lighter shades to find the right one, as the swatches still don't give me the best idea. I feel like 135 might be right.
Here's a link to the swatches: http://illamasqua.blogspot.com/2009/07/ultimate-foundation-swatch-part-1-rich.html

Thanks for the swatches! I wanted to order from Sephora but the images on there aren't very representative...

I also read somewhere in a review that the MAC Studio Fix fluid NC20 is a comparable shade to 135, if that helps any.